Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If he had more term maybe... Any bad team that could take that cap would want an extension in place. If you are Marner why would you sign now unless its the exact money and term you want

His next contract is irrelevant to this dicussion.

I could see a budget team like Anaheim being very interested in Marner because the value he's going to provide on-ice next season is going to be at least 6-7M higher than what they actually have to pay him.

Still unless the relationship has broken down completely I expect the Leafs will just keep Marner and run it back hoping next year is finally the year they see some playoff success. They'll change the coach and make some new additions but Marner and Tavares will stay for the remaining year of their deals and then probably leave as UFAs.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Wait nevermind I know exactly what's going to happen.

Dubas is going to trade for his buddy Marner as Guentzel's replacement since Crosby is staying and the Pens aren't rebuilding.

Toronto-born Reilly Smith probably goes home in the deal to make it work cap-wise. Maybe one of Pittsburgh's D too.

Dubas then essentially recreates his roster in Toronto - extremely top heavy with no depth and questionable D and goaltending.

May get the Pens to the playoffs but certainly won't get them any success when they get there.

Book it.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Kleven and Ostapchuk are our answer for being tougher we are coookkedddd
No need to be dramatic, nobody said they are the answer, they are just two more pieces to the puzzel that will improve the team further ... one player at a time, until we get the right mix, it's a team game afterall. We all know that goaltending is what has to improve dramatically before next season & the addition of a top 4 RD are the two glaring weaknesses.

Last edited:

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
You know, if Vegas doesn't re-sign Marchessault they may actually be good trading partners with Toronto for Marner, they have a bunch of good D-men that the Leafs could use.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
You know, if Vegas doesn't re-sign Marchessault they may actually be good trading partners with Toronto for Marner, they have a bunch of good D-men that the Leafs could use.
Why is Vegas gutting the key to their success to bring in Marner? VGK is bold and splashy, but they're not run by magpies.

Besides, they only have two D making over 3mil and one has a NMC (Pietrangelo) and the other is worth more to them than Marner (Theodore).

They are also less than 6m below the cap for next year, not a lot of wiggle room.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Bobrosvky is so good. Gotta be one of the best careers in the post-lockout era. Probably only finishes with fewer wins than MAF and he had nowhere near the team support.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Wait nevermind I know exactly what's going to happen.

Dubas is going to trade for his buddy Marner as Guentzel's replacement since Crosby is staying and the Pens aren't rebuilding.

Toronto-born Reilly Smith probably goes home in the deal to make it work cap-wise. Maybe one of Pittsburgh's D too.

Dubas then essentially recreates his roster in Toronto - extremely top heavy with no depth and questionable D and goaltending.

May get the Pens to the playoffs but certainly won't get them any success when they get there.

Book it.

What does Toronto get in this deal?

Reilley Smith + Pettersson? for Marner is an underwhelming return. Many teams would beat that offer.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
What does Toronto get in this deal?

Reilley Smith + Pettersson? for Marner is an underwhelming return. Many teams would beat that offer.
Smith is worth very little but Pettersson would have a larger market than Marner. Not more value, but a much larger market for sure.

Two disallowed goals... Toronto review really giving Bob the benefit of the doubt.
What did you think of the calls? It looked to me like Toronto got it right.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
5 games, a gentlemans sweep. Dont think i've heard that one before. One for the home town fans too. Seen Stamkos rumours?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
the NHL is divided into 2 real worlds - regular season and 1st round of the playoffs is about defending and keeping the puck Out of the net, then in round 2 and beyond it becomes about teams can score goals and continue to produce throughout their lineup.

I think Ottawa might have a big chunk of guys who will be able to score on the playoffs (Brady, Timmy, Batherson, Sandy, Greig) they need to be able to defend.

To see how much better Florida is then Tampa and Boston is then the Leafs - the hill Ottawa has to climb is very steep.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I wonder if we could poach a decent player out of Tampa if they decide to blow it up.

Marner has been shit in Playoffs, but he's still a 90-100 point winger. That's not going to cut it.
They definitely should retool but i get the feeling Brisebois is going to try to hang onto their ageing core for as long as he can a la Pittsburgh. They should still be good enough to make the playoffs but i think their contending window is done. Stamkos is going to cave in and sign a hometown discount deal at the last minute to retire with Tampa. Maybe i'm wrong, we'll see

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I wonder if Tampa looks at moving Cirelli to fit Stamkos. Theyd be selling low but he would still have a market. He’d be a good fit in WPG if (when) they decide to run it back.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wow Dallas is good, they’ve been dummying Vegas all series. Vegas in trouble in this series and their lineup could be on steep decline, their Cup window could be closed after this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: