Around the League XXXV: Illinois Represent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That's fine if you are a team that can actually win something now. I think it's a lot less clear if you not.

I completely understand the climate. You kind of have no choice but to sign the guy, but at some point I have to think that starts to change. Much like MLB teams finally collectively wising up and not throwing everything but the kitchen sink at starting pitchers. The back halves of those contracts are so likely to be hindrances. Again, I get it, and I understand it, but man that's just a **** sandwich to eat handing long-years to someone at or near 30.
They have him and Kopitar at the top of their game right now. Add a couple pieces and they could easily make a run. If you told me we were signing Karlsson to an 8 year deal right now and it came with a Cup, I wouldn't regret a thing.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That's fine if you are a team that can actually win something now. I think it's a lot less clear if you not.

I completely understand the climate. You kind of have no choice but to sign the guy, but at some point I have to think that starts to change. Much like MLB teams finally collectively wising up and not throwing everything but the kitchen sink at starting pitchers. The back halves of those contracts are so likely to be hindrances. Again, I get it, and I understand it, but man that's just a **** sandwich to eat handing long-years to someone at or near 30.

Yep, same way I feel. You know the last 4 years of the contract are going to be a gigantic shit sandwich, with a side of urine dressing, and a pile of fromunda fries... but there's really not much of an option to do anything else. It's why I've been so steadfast in my reasoning on not signing Carlson, trading for Karlsson, or signing Tavares. I just can't handle another long-term contract that people will bitch about incessantly.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
They have him and Kopitar at the top of their game right now. Add a couple pieces and they could easily make a run. If you told me we were signing Karlsson to an 8 year deal right now and it came with a Cup, I wouldn't regret a thing.

I'm with you on this. I've said before and was inferring now that if you're a team that's right there, then I get it and I'm for it. Just like I was for doing so with Hossa and Keith. The short-term benefits were worth the risk. If you're a team in that position, I understand it and would be much more inclined to do the same myself.

But if you're not that kind of a team the water is much murkier in that scenario.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Lou already looking to control the apparent attitude guy

Last edited:

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Doughty 8 years at $11 mil per

Choke on that King fans !!

Not every team was watching the Brent Seabrook contract obviously.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Say what you want about the Toews extension, but dude still had a couple damn good years after signing that during a championship window after it was signed.

Also...

No surprise. Old money loves LA.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Seeing Phaneuf on that list makes me howl.

I think the lesson learned here is don't f***ing pay players for what they did in the past. Think of the future. You have to think this signing 30 year olds to BIG 8 year contracts has to end at some point.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Jets trade Armia and Mason to Habs for nothing basically. Looks like Stastny will be re-signing there.

Is it me or did they dump Mason pretty cheap? I mean Armia has potential to be good middle 6 but..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad