Around the League XXI - Watching from the outside, but not all creepy like a voyeur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
Wait a minute. If your team loses in the playoffs, it's always the commissioner's fault, right?

I thought that's the way it always worked. Bettman picks the teams he wants to win and the refs ensure that what Bettman wants, Bettman gets.

Bettman is Satan, he is Hitler, Castro reincarnated. He is the evil that plagues our sport. A hockey world without Bettman would be far more successful and enjoyable! lockouts! he likes when we have lockouts! he loves it, that sicko

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Asked on Blundell’s show Thursday morning for teams that would have a legitimate shot at landing Babcock, Sportsnet insider Doug MacLean named three: Philadelphia, Detroit and Chicago. Yes, Chicago.

MacLean is doubtful Babcock wants to take on a rebuilding project like those in Buffalo or Toronto. He figures the coach is looking for teams with “real players” and wants to win another Stanley Cup soon.

The fact that current Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville may not be long for Chicago, especially if they lose to Minnesota in their upcoming series, added MacLean, is a sentiment that has flown under the radar.

career-memes-journalis-main.jpg

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Doug MacLean is an out of touch hockey exec turned broadcaster, just like Craig Button. Their opinions aren't worth anything. Babcock will go to whichever team is willing to make him the highest paid coach in NHL history.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Doug MacLean is an out of touch hockey exec turned broadcaster, just like Craig Button. Their opinions aren't worth anything. Babcock will go to whichever team is willing to make him the highest paid coach in NHL history.

I think every coaching spot in the league can offer him the highest salary in coaching history. So I don't think that's the be all end all with babcock

Captain Mittens*

I wonder if some degree of personnel control is going to be the issue with Babcock.

Captain Mittens*

Paging Ron. Ok, you were right about the really bad Wings fans

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...me-7-in-tampa-on-arson-charges-134315652.html

Tampa Police say Lena Sinishtaj allegedly lit a large Tampa Bay Lightning flag on fire during the final game against the Detroit Red Wings and passed it around the crowd at the Amalie Arena. Sinishtaj is from Sterling Heights, about 30 minutes outside Detroit.

Police say there were approximately 200 people under the flag at the time of the offense. The flag was only slightly burned.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

His comments on Hockey Central at noon reflect and support this. Like when you sit up and say 'what?" to something he says. And the fact he has the Flyers in that trio of Babcock teams, because Babcock 'wants to win a Cup soon' should say alot about his judgement and credibility. They're years away, his Wings teams is alot closer.

And his decision is not just the $$$, he wants to wear the GM hat as well which is why he's not inked in detroit yet. Given that Edmonton fired their GM, and Babcock loves MacDavid, that is one possible destination, the Pens might be another, he is a HUGE Crosby fan and there is talk both Rutherford and Johnson are on thin ice.
Boston might even be a team, if Julian goes.
I think the tweets today with Babcock's thoughts on waiting and not rushing (other than talking to Holland tomorrow) are the handwriting on the wall. He doesn't have to rush, he'll sit back and wait for the best offer for him and his family.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
From an article about Babcock

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mike-b...gainst-tampa-bay-lightning-045027837-nhl.html

Thanks to success and trades, they have not drafted in the top 10 since 1991. Their average first pick has been 39th overall in that time. They have restocked their talent with good scouting, good management and good luck, and they have gotten the most out of it with good coaching.

It's hard to believe any team hasn't had a top 10 pick in 24 years...

And it does speak well of how well run their organization is.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
honestly if living in Chicago has taught me anything, it's that midwestern fans can be just awful once they get that taste of success...

Hawks fans are absolutely terrible for the most part, Wings fans somehow still have a superiority complex nearly as big, and Wild fans think that their team/state is the definition of hockey.

Blues fans have been much more subdued lately, but they're all Cardinals fans too, and if anyone else follows baseball...well you know how that goes.

someone else in this thread mentioned that Canucks fans weren't even that bad any more and I agree, most of the western Canadian team fans seem pretty great in comparison nowadays.

I hope Babcock goes to the Oilers or some other hilarious troll-worthy destination.

I also hope WSH smashes through everyone else left, although I have a bad feeling they're going to lose to NYR.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Any coach of Babcock's stature would want full control and most teams would be wise to give it to him. No way does he go to Edmonton. Why would he want to? Pittsburgh is an awesome fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad