Around the League XXI - Watching from the outside, but not all creepy like a voyeur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mittens*

Where we left off

Puck daddy's article about what's wrong with the Pens...a team that has struggled in the playoffs the last 5 years and barely made them this year and will be out after 1 round. Apparently after the loss last night, Jim Rutherford was at the elevator with some media waiting to go to the Pens locker room and had a bit of a meltdown.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...or-is-ice-cream-bowl-half-full-141538634.html

Rob Rossi, who writes for the Pitts. tribune and is usually very critical of the pens in his columns, drew the ire of the GM. After lashing out with several expletives about him (bleeping jerk) his writing, views, columns ,etc, he told Rossi to 'go sell some ice cream.'

I didn't understand why they hired Rutherford in the first place. And he's done nothing (anyone seen Perron in the this series? ) to make them a better team. I watch enough of their playoffs games and they just come up short, leadership missing a glaring issue and locker room problems. This year, despite the 3 injured D, Fleury has done okay, done everything to keep them in games, but no scoring in front of him.

They need upgrades in their bottom 6 and some changes to the top
Crosby turning 28, Malkin 29 and I don't see Rutherford as the guy who has the right focus to move the assets and put together a team that can focus, be consistent in the playoffs and go deep. Esp given the competition in that conf (Rags, Isles , Caps, Bj's)

The Bluejackets are going to be a team to be reckoned with for the next 4 or 5 years in the East.

I wouldn't call it a cakewalk, the Jets have outplayed the Ducks for most of hte series. They're losing because of a shakey goalie and no playoff experience. They don't have that wherewithall that you need in the 3rd period, that stuff that comes from deep inside that teams get thru experience and having playoff warriors to lead the charge. They're a good team, they'll learn to win from losing, like green playoff teams do.
And they will make the improvements they need to, but the Ducks haven't shown me anything that will get them past the next round.
They are winning the series as much as the Jets have lost the series and there is a difference.

I will say tho, that is one loud arena. They said 4 times last night the decibel level was over 120 and once hit 127. (The record for an indoor event is 137) . It was loud thru the TV, it had to be deafening in person.

I don't get the impression that the Pen's upper management knows what they're doing. I also think Mike Johnston is a mediocre coach at best.

totally agree. I love watching them play, became a reg viewing fan when Bob was thrown away by the Flyers. That in Oct the BJ's at some points were missing 11 regulars...and then when they got healhty, in the stretch, they were like 13-1.
Good young players on the team and more growing in the minors. I think if they stay healthy, they'll challenge for the division next year

Rutherford is a crap GM. In that article they give him credit for Sutter (basically the only positive for Rutherford). He actually dealt sutter from Carolina when he was GM there, so Shero needs to be given credit for him. When he was GM in Carolina he overpaid for J. Stall IMO.

As for his deal this year,
I like the Perron trade, however Perron neesd to step the **** up.
The lovejoy deal made no sense at the time and still doesn't
Winnik was a decent addiiton
Hornquist for Neal has turned into a good move IMO.

The jackets showed signs of being a great team this year. I don't know if I have seen a team with so many key injuries since the days of Allison, Deadmarsh and Palffy

So that means that they need a new training staff.

if it's more than a one season blip than maybe.

Captain Mittens*

if it's more than a one season blip than maybe.

It has been

These are the most injured teams since the 90-10 season

NHL-Man-Games-Lost-Quality-from-2009-to-2015-600x300.png

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
I agree with some of what was said on the last thread. As the game goes on, the Jets start making softer defensive plays instead of bearing down. It's so odd to see because it almost looks like they ease off as it gets closer to the end. Anaheim is using their experience to do the opposite. They bear down more as the game goes on and you can see it. For the Jets it's a "hanging on" approach instead of a suffocating approach. Hopefully the Jets learn that from these playoffs, although it's probably too late for this year barring some miracle.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I hate burrows, but this seems like more than a bone type thing (i.e. fractured wrist). Hope he is ok. Never a good thing

Last edited:

Ron*

I wouldn't call it a cakewalk, the Jets have outplayed the Ducks for most of hte series. They're losing because of a shakey goalie and no playoff experience. They don't have that wherewithall that you need in the 3rd period, that stuff that comes from deep inside that teams get thru experience and having playoff warriors to lead the charge. They're a good team, they'll learn to win from losing, like green playoff teams do.
And they will make the improvements they need to, but the Ducks haven't shown me anything that will get them past the next round.
They are winning the series as much as the Jets have lost the series and there is a difference.

I will say tho, that is one loud arena. They said 4 times last night the decibel level was over 120 and once hit 127. (The record for an indoor event is 137) . It was loud thru the TV, it had to be deafening in person.

It was about 10 dB when Beauchemin redirected in the game winner.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Maybe a deep laceration of the wrist?

then he would have been rushed. Marc Spector was living tweeting the whole practice and here is the timeline.
1) he left practice and called for help
2) team concluded practice and left the arena. Burrows still in roo mgetting medical attention
3) Burrows leave on stretcher via ambulance.

I think just because he left via ambulance does not mean it was an emergency. If it were a deep laceration of the wrist i think he would have been rushed out of there.

Vic Vinegar

Oct 27, 2009
That's the vertical axis.
My question is what differentiates a team on the right vs the left
No he's right. Here's the photo from that link, I'm not sure why the bottom wasn't included in the original image linked in this thread.

NHL-Man-Games-Lost-Quality-from-2009-to-2015.png

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
That's the vertical axis.
My question is what differentiates a team on the right vs the left

I think there is no correlation. It's just a representation for better view cuz it would look jumbled with a traditional graph as certain teams will be on top of each other with similar number of man games lost. The reason why they put the teams where they are is what I'm trying to figure out. It's alphabetical that's for sure.

Edit: Ok. Got it now.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
then he would have been rushed. Marc Spector was living tweeting the whole practice and here is the timeline.
1) he left practice and called for help
2) team concluded practice and left the arena. Burrows still in roo mgetting medical attention
3) Burrows leave on stretcher via ambulance.

I think just because he left via ambulance does not mean it was an emergency. If it were a deep laceration of the wrist i think he would have been rushed out of there.

Leads me to believe that it's a precautionary overnight watch in a hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad