Around the League XXI: Playoffs & New Coaches Everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
STL I bet. That is what I am thinking.

Main board thread posters are saying they've heard radio reports that STL is out, but I haven't seen anything on Twitter agreeing, so I wouldn't believe that just yet.

Toronto is definitely putting the full court press on him though. MLSE management just jumped on a private jet to Detroit.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Have to say, having been in the Tampa area the past few days (got back to Chicago last night), that whole metro area is really, really behind the Lightning. There's signage everywhere, lots of talk on the radio, tv, papers, player posters/signs on light poles at malls and shopping centers, they're all over the place. People found out in convo I was from Chicago and were all about talking about the Blackhawks and hockey...I came away pretty impressed. From what I'm told that's tempered a bit during the regular season, but come playoff time it's a big deal there. Very cool.

Was also fun to hear people say how they've been to games here in Chicago and wish their atmosphere and following could be like Hawks games here and their following here in Chicago. We've come a long ass ways from the depths of the abyss that was Blackhawks Fandom even seven or eight years ago to having other fan bases strive to have what we have now.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
As long as its somewhere in the East, IDGAF

That said, it would be interesting to see how guys like Kessel or JVR handle Babcock

Last edited:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Dreger is discussing it on TSN radio right now: http://www2.tsn.ca/toronto/listen/

I'm pretty shocked by this. I don't think the Leafs, in their current state, are attractive to anyone.

I think the Toronto Maple Leafs job is always attractive to people, let alone when attached with a boat load of cash. Plus, they've completely cleaned house there and it's very much a clean slate to build from and from an ego standpoint, a guy like Babcock probably wants to be a big part of winning somewhere like that that's been inept for a long time. Plus if he has any say or control personnel-wise that's another huge chip. I'm really not all that shocked when you add it all up.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
That's awesome to hear about Tampa fans BL. They've gotta be so excited.

I'm loving everything about that team and fanbase

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I think the Toronto Maple Leafs job is always attractive to people, let alone when attached with a boat load of cash. Plus, they've completely cleaned house there and it's very much a clean slate to build from and from an ego standpoint, a guy like Babcock probably wants to be a big part of winning somewhere like that that's been inept for a long time. Plus if he has any say or control personnel-wise that's another huge chip. I'm really not all that shocked when you add it all up.

Yeah, it's basically a dream deal for anyone. A big role, a big contract, and a big potential reputation booster.

Mostly I'm glad that he's staying in the east. But I've got a soft spot for some of my Leafs friends, so it'll be interesting to see what might be coming for that franchise in the next few years.

First Edmonton manages to put out their dumpster fire for a bit, now Toronto does too. It's already a fun offseason and the Cup hasn't even been awarded yet.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

The cash, obviously. But the teams current roster and prospect group really aren't great.

I'd like to see them keep Kessel just to watch him and Babcock together.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
The cash, obviously. But the teams current roster and prospect group really aren't great.

I'd like to see them keep Kessel just to watch him and Babcock together.

That's kind of my point, though. Great head coaches who have had success have egos. The money is a huge factor, but don't think for a second that Babcock doesn't want to have a giant hand in reshaping and rebuilding a winner in the biggest hockey market in the world.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Is Babcock that good of a coach? I simply don't get why most people consider him the best coach out there.

Yeah his teams tend to overachieve but the overall results aren't there. He's won 3 playoff series since losing the the Pens in 2009 finals.

8 year deal for a coach?? just wow

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Babs gets a year 5 opt out, front loaded money, and certainly a say in personnel decisions. Great for both parties. They'll be a playoff team in no time with him/Shanny at the helm.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Is Babcock that good of a coach? I simply don't get why most people consider him the best coach out there.

Yeah his teams tend to overachieve but the overall results aren't there.
His teams over achieve? Making the playoffs for a team with a fairly solid top 6, decent top 4 and average goalie isn't exactly over achieving.

But yeah, over achieving would be making it past the 2nd round at least once in the last 6 years.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Personnel decisions will bring Babcock and his reputation down. He is like Q in most every way. Could you imagine Q as GM? We would have traded Teravainen+++ for Kesler.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I've got nothing against Shanahan, but I don't get why everybody just kinda assumes he's going to do a good job.

Neither do I. He's surrounded himself with people with no NHL experience - and now, with this Babcock hire, reportedly given significant decision-making authority to someone who hasn't proven he should have it.

Like Taze Em said, can you imagine if Q signed off on all the personnel decisions with this club?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The people Shanahan has hired may not have NHL experience, but they sure do have a ton of hockey experience. Mark Hunter is a great hire, and he will help get them even better scouts, and front office people.

The Hunters have done an amazing job with the London Knights, and Mark was a big part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad