Around the League vol 3: March 2, Firing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Does Boston ever lose in regulation? Holy s*** every time I check they're picking up a point or winning

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Bruins just don't f***ing lose f*** that stupid f***ing team. David freaking Backes with the winner

Reactions: Blowfish

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I think one think Boston and Toronto fans can agree on

Is that the playoff format sucks

For a 2nd year in a row 2 of the Top 5 teams in the nhl will play each other in Round 1 and be eliminated while mediocrity will get gifted a spot in Round 2 due to seeding being out of wack

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

For a 2nd year in a row 2 of the Top 5 teams in the nhl will play each other in Round 1 and be eliminated while mediocrity will get gifted a spot in Round 2 due to seeding being out of wack

3 of the top 7 teams had to face each other in the first two rounds, Leafs, Bruins and Tampa

Reactions: kb and 13Hockey

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Agree with your basic premise, the playoff format absolutely sucks.

Technical point - Toronto wasn't a top 5 team last year, we were tied for 6th, 4 points out of 5th place.

Do Boston fans even care that much? If they beat us again I'm sure many of them will be laughing saying give us the Leafs every year, yes please.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I remember when the leafs were a tough team that could play. Roberts. Tucker. Corson. McCabe. Marchment. Nolan.

Ottawa was a young team filled with skill but was sick and tired of losing to us and loaded up on 4th line toughness like rob ray.

Didn’t change a thing.
Of course it didn’t change a thing.
Because the 9 players above the 4th line remained the same. Couldn’t handle our cycle.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Because the 9 players above the 4th line remained the same. Couldn’t handle our cycle.
The common narrative in that time was the Leafs toughness won those series.

I'd offer a different explanation, Curtis Joseph and Ed Belfour vs Patrick Lalime.

They were close series with 1 break, 1 goal possibly changing the outcome, and we had the better goalie.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Looking like the Leafs will be on the road in the first round at either Boston or NYI?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Why does this change the standard for what qualifies a contender and not the status of Winnipeg.

(Aka that would mean Winnipeg isn’t that good and that true contenders still don’t lose 6 of 9?)

I would say it means peoples expectations of a contender are too high.

Aside from Tampa, every team has had a rough patch. Does that make them all non-contenders?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The common narrative in that time was the Leafs toughness won those series.

I'd offer a different explanation, Curtis Joseph and Ed Belfour vs Patrick Lalime.

They were close series with 1 break, 1 goal possibly changing the outcome, and we had the better goalie.

More like Toronto Maple Leafs 2016-17/2017-18 are every bit as youthfully strutting, talented and relatively softer than their 1st round opponents as those Ottawa Senators teams were.

IMO if the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Cup with a lineup like this current one, it will be the softest NHL team ever to win the Stanley Cup.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
I would say it means peoples expectations of a contender are too high.

Aside from Tampa, every team has had a rough patch. Does that make them all non-contenders?
While I like the rebuttal I think our difference comes down to the tolerance level of rough patches. I would say 6 losses in 9 games is too high so yes they all are non-contenders. Think of it this way: Does winning 3 of 9 qualify you to be a contender? Nope. But it can rule you out.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
While I like the rebuttal I think our difference comes down to the tolerance level of rough patches. I would say 6 losses in 9 games is too high so yes they all are non-contenders. Think of it this way: Does winning 3 of 9 qualify you to be a contender? Nope. But it can rule you out.

Being a top team in the league even when youre not firing on all cylinders qualifies for me.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

A bit of a history revisionist. All 4 of those series were decided in goal. Ottawa out played us. There goalies didn't match Cujo or Belfour. Once those Leafs teams faced goaltending that matched the Leafs they were reveal as old, slow and not much after Sundin in the post season

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Looking at the West, i really think the best 16 teams in the league should make the playoffs.
Then split those 16 teams into two groups and have a home and away stages-14games, with the top 2 teams in each group advancing and Play each other in best of 7 and then final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad