Around the League Thread part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Game 3 at MSG in the 2014 Stanley Cup Final was Quick's career statement game.

He showed all the East coast media who was boss.

Yup, it was totally one of 'those nights' for quick, where halfway through the game even opposing posters are going "oh, he's not letting a single one in tonight." Blues fans know it well too.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Quick was much more impressive in 2014 than he was in 2012.

Perhaps it's an unpopular opinion, but I think his performance in 2012 is overrated, while his performance in 2014 was underrated.
I've always thought the same.

His numbers in 2012 were so dominant but while he was amazing, the defense had a lot to do with that. I've never seen a team play that tight yet be able to counterattack like that for 4 straight rounds. After game 4 against St.L it's almost like it was becoming a formality, the true definition of a machine.

The volume and quality of shots he faced in 2014 were magnitudes higher. The way he fought through teams swarming the net and making reaction saves was unreal. Everyone knew exactly what they needed to do to beat the Kings by then and Quick wouldn't let them get it done.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Quick was much more impressive in 2014 than he was in 2012.

Perhaps it's an unpopular opinion, but I think his performance in 2012 is overrated, while his performance in 2014 was underrated.
He was amazing against Vancouver in 2012 and he had to be. They were the toughest opponent the Kings faced and it was pretty much equally Brown and Quick that ripped the 'Nucks heart out. But yeah, overall, 2014 was the better series for him.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
Personally for me the win against the devils was more gratifying because you guys stole kovy from us, what i mean by that was it was announced that he had signed with us and then the next day Lou swooped in and the rest is history , but the battle on post here was epic with devil fans regarding kovy and as it turned out if we had got him we never get richards, carter etc etc .........IMO the devils were more the challenge and the rangers were overrated , it did take 3 ot games but never for a minute did most of us think we would lose after the battles to get there in 2014 , that kings team was special for those three years and I do not know what you would call it but they were fun to watch

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I've always thought the same.

His numbers in 2012 were so dominant but while he was amazing, the defense had a lot to do with that. I've never seen a team play that tight yet be able to counterattack like that for 4 straight rounds. After game 4 against St.L it's almost like it was becoming a formality, the true definition of a machine.

The volume and quality of shots he faced in 2014 were magnitudes higher. The way he fought through teams swarming the net and making reaction saves was unreal. Everyone knew exactly what they needed to do to beat the Kings by then and Quick wouldn't let them get it done.

You could already see the team getting worse defensively in the 2014 playoffs. Whether age and/or new player type, they had to outscore their mistakes. With 0 goals from Kopitar after Game 7 of the 2nd rd.

As much as 2012 was a dominant blur, I still don't know how they pulled off 2014. Nothing from that run makes sense. They could've and likely should've lost any number of times in every round.

Reactions: Faterson

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
You love to see it.

unknown.png

CjfG1ihUgAE0nxL.png

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Conn Smythe in 2012 should have gone to Kopitar or Brown.

In 2014 I think Williams was worthy of the award. Gaborik and Carter weren't far behind though.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
2012 by the 3rd round Quick had teams beat before he even got on the ice. Teams turned up knowing they weren't going to score many on him.

2014 Quick even got pulled against Anaheim because the team wouldn't help him. He was a lot more up and down as was the team. Plenty of crucial saves but also had bad games mixed in.

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Ya think?

Hockey News voted his 2012 performance as #3 best of 'recent history':

Reactions: TruKingFan

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Conn Smythe in 2012 should have gone to Kopitar or Brown.

In 2014 I think Williams was worthy of the award. Gaborik and Carter weren't far behind though.
I actually think I’d have given it to Brown if not Quick.

I think Gaboriks first two series in 2014 had him as an absolute lock for the Conn Smythe at that point. Williams had a great play-offs but I thought the award was given due to the ‘Mr Game 7‘ story. Doughty could have won it either year and for me I’d have given it to him in 2014. I think we were all a bit guilty of taking his (DD) nightly Elite performances for granted so it didn’t stand out. He was exceptionally good in that 3 year stretch and absolutely ate up minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad