Around the League thread: Non Trade Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Whoa. Wideman got TWENTY. GAMES.
that has to be appealed I'd think. like it's just 10 for abuse of an official, where thehell did the other 10 come from?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Those 20 games were well deserved. Pretty much cut and dry and there's no way what he did wasn't intentional.

If you're thinking he intentionally hit an official from behind into the boards, what kind of person are you implying Wideman is? Why should Wideman be allowed to play another game in the NHL if what he did was intentional?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
If you're thinking he intentionally hit an official from behind into the boards, what kind of person are you implying Wideman is? Why should Wideman be allowed to play another game in the NHL if what he did was intentional?

Rule 40.2:

Automatic Suspension – Category I - Any player who deliberately
strikes an official and causes injury or who deliberately applies
physical force in any manner against an official with intent to injure, or
who in any manner attempts to injure an official shall be automatically
suspended for not less than twenty (20) games. (For the purpose of
the rule, “intent to injure” shall mean any physical force which a player
knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause
injury.)

I'd say mauling a guy from behind into the boards would be reasonably expected to cause injury. Not to mention there's no way you can defend that extra follow through at the end.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Rule 40.1:

I'd say mauling a guy from behind into the boards would be reasonably expected to cause injury. Not to mention there's no way you can defend that extra follow through at the end.

Right. But if you're implying he purposefully drove the ref head first into the boards (because he was angry from getting hit), how can you let that type of player who could fly off the handle like that play in the NHL ever again?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Right. But if you're implying he purposefully drove the ref head first into the boards (because he was angry from getting hit), how can you let that type of player who could fly off the handle like that play in the NHL ever again?

Well... I'm not the one that makes the rules. Besides, even if you do think he was dazed to the point he had little cognitive ability to control himself, then that doesn't exactly reflect well on the Flames organization for not following protocol.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I think Wideman got his head banged up and felt a combination of: confusion, wooziness, aggression, dumbfound and upon colliding with someone he laid a hit.

Obviously the ref is a victim but I think Wideman's head was rattled and I don't think it was personally his fault but yes he deserves punishment regardless.

mikebel111*

To be fair, he looked awful.

He didn't look creative, he looked uninterested and there was a point where 1/4 of the way through the season that Komarov had more points than him.

Now Crosby is 14th in the league in scoring and will likely end up in the top 5 by seasons end.

thats fair. However the entire team was under performing.
It looks like it was just a slump for Crosby, and now he is back to being the player we know he is.

Also 20 games is a bit too much for Wideman IMO

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Well... I'm not the one that makes the rules. Besides, even if you do think he was dazed to the point he had little cognitive ability to control himself, then that doesn't exactly reflect well on the Flames organization for not following protocol.

or the league - who has concussion protocol people in every rink.

i didn't know there was a 20 one in there too. i just thought it was the insta-10.
hm. sucks to be Wideman i guess.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Over punishment, what a joke. 10 was fine with the understanding he was a mess after having his bell rung.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Over punishment, what a joke. 10 was fine with the understanding he was a mess after having his bell rung.

Except no one with knowledge of the situation has indicated anything at all like this (Wideman, the Flames, the PA, or the league). Its been fan and media speculation that he is concussed.

To me this is pretty cut and dry and I have no problem with the suspension.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Anyone think there is a chance that gets higher everyday that Price misses the remainder of the year?

I think the chances of him missing the year are much higher than him returning, especially with the way Montreal is playing. If Montreal were smart they'd plan for next year as this offensive core isn't cutting it and let Price rest until he's 200% healthy

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Just a pure hypothetical: if you were Edmonton and Montreal offered you Price for McDavid would you do it? Is the value there? Pretend that Price is fully healthy, and is having another outstanding season.

OvenMittz*

Just a pure hypothetical: if you were Edmonton and Montreal offered you Price for McDavid would you do it? Is the value there? Obviously a fully healthy Price.

No.. Unless price was a 20yr old goalie putting up these numbers on a consistent basis.

Even then I'd probably not dobit

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Just a pure hypothetical: if you were Edmonton and Montreal offered you Price for McDavid would you do it? Is the value there? Pretend that Price is fully healthy, and is having another outstanding season.

I'd assume no is the assumption here, but if it were something like Subban and Price, you'd have to seriously consider it. A puck moving defence men with a great offensive ceiling, the best goalie in the league, to go with Hall, Draisatl, Nugent-Hopkins, and the developing Nurse and Klefbom. They'd be in a better position, but it's a really tricky question to answer.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'd assume no is the assumption here, but if it were something like Subban and Price, you'd have to seriously consider it. A puck moving defence men with a great offensive ceiling, the best goalie in the league, to go with Hall, Draisatl, Nugent-Hopkins, and the developing Nurse and Klefbom. They'd be in a better position, but it's a really tricky question to answer.

Not really. Trade RNH, Yakupov, Eberle for D and G. You dont move McD. Hes going to be the best player in hockey in very short order

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

There's not a single player in the league Edmonton would trade McDavid for.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think Wideman got his head banged up and felt a combination of: confusion, wooziness, aggression, dumbfound and upon colliding with someone he laid a hit.

Obviously the ref is a victim but I think Wideman's head was rattled and I don't think it was personally his fault but yes he deserves punishment regardless.

I think the fact that Weidman has a concussion changes everything.

The League is really continuing to shoot itself in the foot when it comes to sloppy concussion protocols. The fact that he was able to get passed the Calgary trainers back into the game in the first place is a sign that things aren't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad