Around the League Thread: Non Trade Talk Feb 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I think the fact that Weidman has a concussion changes everything.

The League is really continuing to shoot itself in the foot when it comes to sloppy concussion protocols. The fact that he was able to get passed the Calgary trainers back into the game in the first place is a sign that things aren't working.

What if there was no concussion?

Edit: Actually looks like he was diagnosed with a concussion post-game.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
What if there was no concussion?

Edit: Actually looks like he was diagnosed with a concussion post-game.

Yep.

Br0vwsO.png

Flames willingly chose to ignore protocol. NHL now has all the ammo it needs to make following protocol mandatory upon a spotter's request as opposed to just a suggestion.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yep.

Br0vwsO.png

Flames willingly chose to ignore protocol. NHL now has all the ammo it needs to make following protocol mandatory upon a spotter's request as opposed to just a suggestion.

was it the FLAMES Spotter, or the independent one? (It had to have been the Flames one - I thought the independent one just trumped everything).
at any rate, if this is the case the Flames should be smacked hard with a huge fine. and I agree. tis is basically going to be "Spotter Decides, that's it."

also - just a request - I'm just really hoping that the thread title changes when something prevalent happens to spark more discussion, or something). "non trade talk" aside, there's like a lot of NHL juicy drama going on right now.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
was it the FLAMES Spotter, or the independent one? (It had to have been the Flames one - I thought the independent one just trumped everything).
at any rate, if this is the case the Flames should be smacked hard with a huge fine. and I agree. tis is basically going to be "Spotter Decides, that's it."

also - just a request - I'm just really hoping that the thread title changes when something prevalent happens to spark more discussion, or something). "non trade talk" aside, there's like a lot of NHL juicy drama going on right now.

They dropped the ball.

Head hit boards. Check
Wobble when getting up. Check
Wobble when skating. Check
Out of character after. Check

Spotters... Crickets

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
At this point Montreal isn't even an 18 wheeler going off a cliff, they're more like an F16 Fighter Jet in a flat spin after takeoff. The makeup of their team without Price reminds me of the Leafs last year. I'm assuming Therrien will be fired soon, but imagine if he got the can last season? We'd be in a 3 way battle between Buffalo and the Habs for Babcock.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Around the league talk is about around the league talk.

We don't need a new title every time someone has a thought.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Around the league talk is about around the league talk.

We don't need a new title every time someone has a thought.

it was just as a suggestion. I'm not saying it has to be when someone has a new thought - though, if someone doesn't have a phone or something - and doesn't hit TSN/Sportsnet whatever first - having a headline like

"Price is still broken and smashes stick" or "Wideman suspended etc" as a main talking point would be appreciated, as well again, prompting more discussion, or at the very least, allowing people who don't have media access a quick "oh okay". but whatever. like I said, it was just a suggestion.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
At this point Montreal isn't even an 18 wheeler going off a cliff, they're more like an F16 Fighter Jet in a flat spin after takeoff. The makeup of their team without Price reminds me of the Leafs last year. I'm assuming Therrien will be fired soon, but imagine if he got the can last season? We'd be in a 3 way battle between Buffalo and the Habs for Babcock.

from the habs board

yicu6.gif

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
from the habs board

yicu6.gif

Anyone remember that thread that basically said Therrien and Babcock weren't that different? Good times.

Seriously that guys a buffoon, but at this point it's in the Habs best interest to ride out the season with him and fire him once they've tanked to a good draft position. Hopefully Price returns or they go on a hot streak and finish in no mans land. This losing streak of theirs is worrying for our own tank.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
They dropped the ball.

Head hit boards. Check

Spotters... Crickets

Exactly. For me it is so obvious he suffered a concussion and was not him self when he hit the ref.

I mean, why would any one, less so Wideman with no rep at doing crazy stuff, attack a referee?

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
They dropped the ball.

Head hit boards. Check

Spotters... Crickets

I had mentioned following the hit that he seemed out of it &

"If Calgary's bench staff had any brains they would have brought him to the dark room & claimed he was in la la land when he hit the ref."

If I was the coach I would have demanded it. If they had done this immediately he may not have received a suspension, or if he did, it would probably have been minimal.

I guess his levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence wouldn't be conducive with going to the dark room.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I really don't want to hear for a while about how good Winnipeg's prospect pool is - look at their AHL affiliate who are abysmally terrible.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I really don't want to hear for a while about how good Winnipeg's prospect pool is - look at their AHL affiliate who are abysmally terrible.

Look at the Jets and compare how many 22 and younger players on the team compared to how many are on the Leafs.

Check out how many games they've played in the NHL compared to how 22 and under games the Leafs have played.

I'd guess if they had those kids in the minors their minor team would be better, and if the Leafs moved their top prospects to the Leafs the Marlies wouldn't be so impressive.

Not saying one is better than the other, but you can't evaluate a franchise's future by only looking at the AHL.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Admittedly that's a young AHL team but I suspect it's all just wishful thinking from the over-sampling of western bros in Canadian sports media.

mikebel111*

Dont look now, but the Red Wings missing the playoffs is a very real possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Admittedly that's a young AHL team but I suspect it's all just wishful thinking from the over-sampling of western bros in Canadian sports media.

That AHL team is terrible by just about every metric.

Perhaps I'm being a bit too harsh on them, but talent should be able to shine through regardless of experience.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Look at the Jets and compare how many 22 and younger players on the team compared to how many are on the Leafs.

Check out how many games they've played in the NHL compared to how 22 and under games the Leafs have played.

I'd guess if they had those kids in the minors their minor team would be better, and if the Leafs moved their top prospects to the Leafs the Marlies wouldn't be so impressive.

Not saying one is better than the other, but you can't evaluate a franchise's future by only looking at the AHL.

I don't consider full time NHLers to be prospects anymore. The Jets as a team certainly has some nice youth - ie Ehlers is a fantastic young player, but they better hope they'll be able to win with what they have on their team, because they don't seem to have much more help coming up from the minors.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't consider full time NHLers to be prospects anymore. The Jets as a team certainly has some nice youth - ie Ehlers is a fantastic young player, but they better hope they'll be able to win with what they have on their team, because they don't seem to have much more help coming up from the minors.

But Leafs prospect of similar age just aren't good enough to make the NHL and be "full time NHLers".

The goal isn't to have the best prospects it is to have the best NHL players, and of course ultimately the last game of the playoffs.

mikebel111*

But Leafs prospect of similar age just aren't good enough to make the NHL and be "full time NHLers".

The goal isn't to have the best prospects it is to have the best NHL players, and of course ultimately the last game of the playoffs.

Big time difference. Leafs managment has a motto that youngsters are staying down there and wont be rushed. Guys like Nylander could easily be playing in the NHL right now and be effective at it as well. So this "not good enough" stuff isnt correct.
Are you saying you would rather have a bad AHL team filled prospects than a good AHL team filled with prospects?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Big time difference. Leafs managment has a motto that youngsters are staying down there and wont be rushed. Guys like Nylander could easily be playing in the NHL right now and be effective at it as well. So this "not good enough" stuff isnt correct.
Are you saying you would rather have a bad AHL team filled prospects than a good AHL team filled with prospects?

It is simple to understand.

McDavid isn't ever going to be in the minors, therefore he'll never lead their minor league team to glory. 20 year old Draisaitl is close to a PPG player in the NHL, would you prefer he was in the AHL making their farm team look better.

For what purpose?

Jet could easily demote 6 full time NHLers, 22 and younger, to the AHL if the goal was having a great AHL team. Add in Armia who was brought up a while ago.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

True - though the Leafs as an organization seem to have adopted a conservative philosophy for prospect development and have one of the best prospect pools in the league, where their most promising young players are still in the minors.

im personally not overly impressed with the Jets too - outside of 2-3 of their younger guys.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think it depends on the prospects.
If McDavid was drafted by the Leafs, I doubt he would be back in Erie this year.
IS Willie ready, I believe he is. Is Willie a 17mins plus NHL player, probably not there yet. Thus, having Willie in the AHL playing 17plus mins is better for his development than letting him play 10-13mins in the NHL.
Just like Leivo, he could probably makes the team but I would rather have him play 14plus mins a game instead of 8-10 mins a game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
True - though the Leafs as an organization seem to have adopted a conservative philosophy for prospect development and have one of the best prospect pools in the league, where their most promising young players are still in the minors.

im personally not overly impressed with the Jets too - outside of 2-3 of their younger guys.

I'm really happy with the picks Hunter made last year, along with a couple previous choices.

But what focus have we made with regards to the Jets picks?

Jets have the top prospects of age with their NHL club. We know their development team would look better if they were all demoted, whereas the Leafs development team would suffer greatly if the Leafs promoted their 6 best prospects to the Leafs.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160546&encode=TRUE
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=170340

Both these guys lead their NCAA teams in scoring.

Anyway, enough rattling on about this, we should be happy with our picks, and the few AHL players who look like they should be able to make the next step.

The dead-pick era of the Burke years is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad