Around the League Thread: Non-Playoff discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Bishop's off the market - 6 year deal.
How Calgary missed out on that Ill never know.

(though he did have a bad year and he's kinda glassy... he had to be better than Elliott).

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Bishop's off the market - 6 year deal.
How Calgary missed out on that Ill never know.

(though he did have a bad year and he's kinda glassy... he had to be better than Elliott).

Incoming buyout to Niemi no doubt. Unless they get Vegas to select him.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Yeah that OV stuff is bull in my opinion. Sounds like this guy has had these feelings about OV for awhile and only airs them after OV loses. Seems pretty cowardice... He only makes his feelings known to the world AFTER the Caps lose so he is validated rather than having a little bit more respectability to put his feeling forward before. I bet if the Caps won you wouldnt be hearing anything from this guy because it doesnt fit his narrative. He would have had my respect if he brought this up before the playoffs or before the conclusion of the Pens series.

Example: Lawless' piece about Laine vs Matthews earlier is an example. At least Lawless had the stones to let his opinion be known beforehand (eventhough it was premature) rather than waiting until after the season.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Calgary should trade for Grubauer and try to sign Bernier. Have them battle it out for the number 1 job. If not Bernier then bringing Johnson back might not be a bad idea.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not a fan of that Bishop deal.

He's fine right now but I'd be wary of how a big goalie with injury issues is going to age - probably like milk left out on the counter during a warm day

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Jason Botterill is impressive. He's going to be great for Buffalo. Looking forward to our future battles.

No doubt he is a good GM, but it depends on what Their owners expectation of the team. I can see the Them wanting success right away, or a big trade to get the fans excited which forces the Bottrrill to rush into things.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think the Bishop deal is fine. Dallas needs good goaltending right now. They can figure things out later when Bishop really falls off. Though does mean Dallas likely needs to turn to a buyout to clean things up for one guy. It seems ok to me anyways.

Wonder what Calgary will do though. I mean if Bishop refused a trade there then there wasn't much they could do. But I can't imagine they don't try and sign or trade for someone.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
I think the Bishop deal is fine. Dallas needs good goaltending right now. They can figure things out later when Bishop really falls off. Though does mean Dallas likely needs to turn to a buyout to clean things up for one guy. It seems ok to me anyways.

Wonder what Calgary will do though. I mean if Bishop refused a trade there then there wasn't much they could do. But I can't imagine they don't try and sign or trade for someone.

Well there is still Pittsburgh and their two #1 goalies. They could try to land one of them.

Plus there are Mason, Miller, Bernier as UFA's.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You know how everyone says Brent Burns looks like Chewbacca because of his beard, he went with his family to Walt Disney World and at their Star Wars Launch Bay at Disney's Hollywood Studios, Burns and his kids took a picture with Chewbacca.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
man, lawson crouse really does have bust written all over him. One of the most overrated top prospects of the past decade for sure.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Remember how Bill Daly said the NHL will recognize the Leafs importance of their 100th anniversary. It seems that was a lie because the reports are Tampa Bay will be hosting next years NHL All Star Game.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/reports-tampa-bay-host-2018-nhl-star-game/

While I agree that the game itself isn't that great and we would have rather seen the Leafs host the NHL Draft, although that was when we assumed they would have a high early selection in the 1st round. Still during the Leafs Centennial they were not awarded the 2017 or 2018 Winter Classic, 2017 NHL All Star Game and 2017 Draft.

I know we got to host the Centennial Classic, however that event was to celebrate the Centennial of the NHL and the only mention of the Leafs Centennial is when they got introduced before coming onto the ice.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Don't even get me started. we got NOTHING for our 100th. i don't even remember seeing us in any 100 year commericals that they made.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
man, lawson crouse really does have bust written all over him. One of the most overrated top prospects of the past decade for sure.

Another good case to not get too infatuated with size at the draft.

Every year has a guy or two that folks proclaim "could be the next Lucic" but it never works out

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

He is a 6'4" power forward that is just 19 and playing in the NHL already on a disaster of a team? :laugh:

Last edited:

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Another good case to not get too infatuated with size at the draft.

Every year has a guy or two that folks proclaim "could be the next Lucic" but it never works out

Yeah thats so garbage. If you cant score at least 1.5 ppg in the CHL, you don't belong in the first 20 picks (as a forward), its that simple. They don't even defend in that league, and the goaltending is suspect at best. All people see is "huge two way powerforward" and they just snap them up... its pretty disgusting tbh. I highly doubt the dude ever scores more than 15g in a season.

He is a 6'4" power forward that is just 19 and playing in the NHL already on a disaster of a team? :laugh:

Yeah hes young but still, his problem isn't a experience problem, its a lack of talent problem. His junior production was very indicative of him struggling to produce in the nhl.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yeah thats so garbage. If you cant score at least 1.5 ppg in the CHL, you don't belong in the first 20 picks (as a forward), its that simple. They don't even defend in that league, and the goaltending is suspect at best. All people see is "huge two way powerforward" and they just snap them up... its pretty disgusting tbh. I highly doubt the dude ever scores more than 15g in a season.

Yeah hes young but still, his problem isn't a experience problem, its a lack of talent problem. His junior production was very indicative of him struggling to produce in the nhl.

2015 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Nhl points so far...

#3 Arizona Coyotes Dylan Strome (C) ... 1pt
#6 New Jersey Devils Pavel Zacha (C/LW) ... 26pt
#9 San Jose Sharks Timo Meier (W/C) ... 6pt
#11 Florida Panthers Lawson Crouse (LW/RW)...12pts
#12 Dallas Stars Denis Guryanov (RW/LW)...0pts
#14 Boston Bruins Jake DeBrusk (LW)...0pts
#15 Boston Bruins Zach Senyshyn (RW)...0pts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad