Around the League Thread | Meaningful Games in March

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just to add - I think @MS proposed solution of players who are on LTIR at the conclusion of the regular season being ineligible for Round 1 would be a good fix.

Yup.

Rosters are essentially set from the trade deadline through the end of the regular season. If you can't afford to have an injured play on your roster at any point in that period, you shouldn't magically get them back for free for Game 1 of the playoffs.

Reactions: Hodgy and Vector

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Of course a lacerated spleen is a serious injury.

It is also a very easy injury to milk for as long as necessary to help the team.

He will conveniently be ready for game 1 no doubt.

Reactions: CanadianPirate

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
36 in a 6x6 set-up with QC:

northwest:
van, sea, edm, cgy, col, wpg

southwest:
la, ana, sj, vgk, phx, slc

midwest:
min, chi, stl, cbj, det, nsh

south:
dal, hou, tbl, fla, car, atl

northeast:
tor, mtl, ott, buf, bos, qc

atlantic:
pit, phi, wsh, nyr, nyi, njd

go back to the old geographical / travel minimizing alignments rather than just on time zone
SLC is slightly more North than Denver.
But, like I said, without another team in a PST/MST time zone, some team (in your example, Winnipeg) would be the big loser. Or it could be STL which would be the next team as you would not separate Dal/Hou/Austin or whatever second TX city they go to.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
imagine you’re a millionaire hockey player in the prime of your youth and you live in one of the planned communities parts of phoenix/tempe area, which a lot of ppl think is a really nice place to live, like basically a paradise rich white ppl for themselves out in the dessert

and then one day you’re told you are moving to SLC

harsh toke

depends on your priorities. not the best golf and it definitely would suck that as a pro hockey player that you can't ski in slc, but i'd live in slc over phoenix eleven billion times to one despite the watered down beer. utah is highly underrated if you are outdoorsy and it actually has four seasons and plants. phoenix is a flat cactus strewn furnace and everything worth visiting within 100 miles is a brutal tourist trap, a golf course or a baked over moonscape.

Reactions: Nick Lang and MS

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

God please not

lol. did not see that coming if it happens. both edm/cgy are closer to seattle, vancouver and slc than any central team except edmonton-wpg. slc is closer on average than any pacific team to all the central division teams.

basically the nhl making clear canadian markets are an afterthought.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
depends on your priorities. not the best golf and it definitely would suck that as a pro hockey player that you can't ski in slc, but i'd live in slc over phoenix eleven billion times to one despite the watered down beer. utah is highly underrated if you are outdoorsy and it actually has four seasons and plants. phoenix is a flat cactus strewn furnace and everything worth visiting within 100 miles is a brutal tourist trap, a golf course or a baked over moonscape.
If you were a sports team owner wouldn’t you put in things like skiing and snowboarding as activities that the player should not engage in? Especially since in 3 of the big sports that’s the time of year that you play in. So if you get hurt in season that’s a massive deal. Vs mlb where you still have some time to heal.

How far is Park city where they had the snow events from SLC during the Olympics?

Reactions: Nick Lang

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
lol. did not see that coming if it happens. both edm/cgy are closer to seattle, vancouver and slc than any central team except edmonton-wpg. slc is closer on average than any pacific team to all the central division teams.

basically the nhl making clear canadian markets are an afterthought.

The Canucks are a team full of Americans, f*** the Canadian market.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, Arizona is a shithole and I don't really get the attraction that people have for it aside from the golf.

Utah is a gorgeous place aside from the weird religious insanity there.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If you were a sports team owner wouldn’t you put in things like skiing and snowboarding as activities that the player should not engage in? Especially since in 3 of the big sports that’s the time of year that you play in. So if you get hurt in season that’s a massive deal. Vs mlb where you still have some time to heal.

How far is Park city where they had the snow events from SLC during the Olympics?

yeah, that was my point that hockey players won't be able to enjoy the number one reason to live in slc in the winter due to contract limits.

slc has 5 decent local ski hills that are basically slightly further than grouse or cypress. park city is more of an exclusive resort for apres ski stuff. snowbird and alta are the serious ski hills and brighton and solitude are good for variety.

Lat

Oct 12, 2005

Yeah, I'm interested to know what has been written into the player contracts regarding other sports like skiing.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
The Yzerplan doesn’t seem to be working.
I've questioned how/when if things will take a big enough turn to be better but only being in year 6 of Yzerman. Even I won't rush to question things too much quite yet. It looks like an 8-10 year rebuild plan.

Reactions: Nick Lang

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Yeah, Arizona is a shithole and I don't really get the attraction that people have for it aside from the golf.

i like the religious weirdness too. smalltown utah is a trip.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

Some freako in Utah also invented the Zamboni :)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I've questioned how/when if things will take a big enough turn to be better but only being in year 6 of Yzerman. Even I won't rush to question things too much quiet yet. It looks like an 8-10 year rebuild plan.

When I refer to the Yzerplan I very specifically am talking about how he has wanted to make them a playoff team for the last two seasons. Has spent a lot on free agents and added DeBrincat. None of the free agents have hamstrung the team nor will have a huge impact long term but the results just have not been there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
yeah, that was my point that hockey players won't be able to enjoy the number one reason to live in slc in the winter due to contract limits.

slc has 5 decent local ski hills that are basically slightly further than grouse or cypress. park city is more of an exclusive resort for apres ski stuff. snowbird and alta are the serious ski hills and brighton and solitude are good for variety.
SLC is a less developed Denver from the sounds of it. Aside from the religious stuff.

I get the attraction of AZ during the NHL season. Just would not want to be there during the summer and the intensity of 40 degrees Celsius heat.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

This feels like a prolonged funeral dirge for this team at this point.

EDIT:

Also, is the league sure Meruelo is the kind of guy they want owning a franchise again?

Reactions: quat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad