Around the League Thread | Meaningful Games in March

Status
Not open for further replies.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
The reality is, players want to be in Vegas. It's a "happening" place, and therefore players will take discounts to be there, and want to sign long term deals.

Teams in cities that aren't comparable to Vegas will always be at a disadvantage in terms of contracts.

also no state income tax in nevada. it's 20% in bc, for comparison

Reactions: Petey O

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
It’s going to be interesting to see who Vegas pushes out this summer. Martinez is a goner, but I wonder if they’re going to trade a defender like Hague, Whitecloud, or even Theodore.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Walsh has been the agent that has always countered Burke’s assertion about tax differences. I would imagine, like with Tavares situation, that there are ways a tax professional would advise a client to setup a contract along with their own personal living arrangements to lessen their tax burden.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Most US states have 3-5% as their top bracket income tax, it's not much of a difference for most US NHL teams. The fact the Knights play in the same divisions as 3 California teams (which is 13% as their top bracket) dilutes the tax argument further. Besides, other NHL states like Texas/Florida/Tennessee also have no state income tax; people started pulling the same argument for the Panthers recently even though they had been a nonexistent destination for two decades.

People need to recognize the Knights are well managed, not that they're endowed with advantages no other team could hope to overcome.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
It’s going to be interesting to see who Vegas pushes out this summer. Martinez is a goner, but I wonder if they’re going to trade a defender like Hague, Whitecloud, or even Theodore.
Don’t think they’ll move Whitecloud as he signed an 6 year deal last summer and no chance they move Theodore.

Hague probably gets moved. RFA after next season and a $2.3M salary. Bottom pair defenseman. McNabb moves to LD and Korzack plays full time next season.

Hanifin- Whitecloud
Theodore-Petro
McNabb-Korzack
Hutton

Reactions: andora

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

They will probably LTIR a few guys to make it work.

Reactions: andora

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I think with the point production tailing off in the second half, the window on $8M got shut a while ago.

But the Hanifin deal provides a very recent and relevant comparable, and probably sets a floor on what Walsh is going to accept.

Floor? More like a ceiling. This is a great comparable for the Canucks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

More bad news for Hronek and his agent.

I think with the point production tailing off in the second half, the window on $8M got shut a while ago.

But the Hanifin deal provides a very recent and relevant comparable, and probably sets a floor on what Walsh is going to accept.

What?

Hanifin is a better player than Hronek and 32 of 32 NHL GMs would chose Hanifin over Hronek.

It sets a ceiling, if anything.

What an absolute f***ing steal of a trade for Vegas. They get a top-pairing defender signed for 8 years in exchange for a 26 y/o who had just cleared waivers and a conditional 1st.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

What?

Hanifin is a better player than Hronek and 32 of 32 NHL GMs would chose Hanifin over Hronek.

What an absolute f***ing steal of a trade for Vegas. They get a top-pairing defender signed for 8 years in exchange for a 26 y/o who had just cleared waivers and a conditional 1st.
Lots of money up front to bring the aav down.

Given that ownership just did a lot of that for pettersson, you wonder if there’s a similar appetite to shell out lots of up front cash again

And if not, it probably pushes hronek up a bit

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Whitecloud has been in and out of the doghouse for them. Healthy scratched a couple of times iirc

Vegas fans prefer Hutton over him this year

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Whitecloud has been in and out of the doghouse for them. Healthy scratched a couple of times iirc

Vegas fans prefer Hutton over him this year
Yep, same with Hague. Reason I mention Theodore is because he has very real positive value in a trade setting and could bring in a haul while providing relief. Apparently he’s been generally good but also shaky at times for them this year. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Vegas pulls another big move off with no loyalty to keep Marchessault (shut the fuk lil dicky)

• Haha
Reactions: LordBacon

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Theodore has been dealing with injures and his play has declined in the last two years. It would be a cut throat Vegas move to let him go but it wouldn't surprise me.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Theodore has been dealing with injures and his play has declined in the last two years. It would be a cut throat Vegas move to let him go but it wouldn't surprise me.
He’s nearing the end of his 7 year contract isn’t he? 2013 pick and came into the nhl at 20, so elc plus 7 years is 10 years so should have 1 year left.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Floor? More like a ceiling. This is a great comparable for the Canucks.

What?

It's a good comparable in the sense that $8M is out of the question (not that it ever should have been). Seems a lot of people don't think he's even worth $7M at this point, and this comp won't help with that.

I think Walsh will argue that Hronek is a better player than Hanfin, and that he enabled Hughes to reach stratospheric heights. It's a better platform year for Hronek, and he's right-handed. Hanifin's also never really been used in a true top-pair role until this season.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Some of the stuff coming out about Arizona is pretty wild. Becoming known for not paying hotel bills in cities around the league etc.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Some of the stuff coming out about Arizona is pretty wild. Becoming known for not paying hotel bills in cities around the league etc.

Just listened to Seravalli and it’s hilarious. Also completely in line when they didn’t pay bills earlier.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
imagine you’re a millionaire hockey player in the prime of your youth and you live in one of the planned communities parts of phoenix/tempe area, which a lot of ppl think is a really nice place to live, like basically a paradise rich white ppl for themselves out in the dessert

and then one day you’re told you are moving to SLC

harsh toke

Reactions: vancityluongo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Guess the office staff has now been told or figured out that they are going to be let go in the summer. Might as well dish the dirt. Doubt many in business ops is going to Utah with the team.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
imagine you’re a millionaire hockey player in the prime of your youth and you live in one of the planned communities parts of phoenix/tempe area, which a lot of ppl think is a really nice place to live, like basically a paradise rich white ppl for themselves out in the dessert

and then one day you’re told you are moving to SLC

harsh toke

Would be over an improvement of showing up to work but waiting for the college hockey team you rent the rink from to get off the ice and how you’re staying at Motel-6s because the owner has stiffed every hotel on the continent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad