Around the League Thread | Meaningful Games in March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
@Diversification

That precarious lead the Flyers had is now gone. ;) They are in serous danger of missing the playoffs now. They did trade Walker without a replacement as I suggested but held on to Seeley.

After the last decade in Vancouver I really appreciate a management team sticking by their game plan, building, and not sacrificing the future for a little glimmer of wild hope.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Its funny how listening to certain commentators can make me dislike a team. If I watch Colorado games with the sound off, they're so good to watch. Their announcing clowns are freaking brutal to listen to. Even when they had that decade of just sucking balls it was miserable to listening to them, but now it's insufferable.

That team looks deadly. Screw Sakic and the city that birthed that asshat. Ruining the Canucks for decades. Yay.

ha ha

Colorado has had some of the worst in house PBP since their inception. Just God Awful. There’s some bad ones out there, but not many that come close to Colorado.

Whoever the Oilers’ Sportsnet regional PBP guy is is dreadful. The Wild have pretty bad ones too, IIRC.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Colorado has had some of the worst in house PBP since their inception. Just God Awful. There’s some bad ones out there, but not many that come close to Colorado.

Whoever the Oilers’ Sportsnet regional PBP guy is is dreadful. The Wild have pretty bad ones too, IIRC.

Jack Edwards makes everyone else sound like a bunch of saints.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Jack Edwards makes everyone else sound like a bunch of saints.
If he doesn't recover like 90% this summer there's no way he comes back right, right?!

Also why the heck do we get so many bruins games on SN here, why. Nobody wants to watch the bruins at all let alone seemingly every week. Also f regional blackouts again.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he doesn't recover like 90% this summer there's no way he comes back right, right?!

Also why the heck do we get so many bruins games on SN here, why. Nobody wants to watch the bruins at all let alone seemingly every week. Also f regional blackouts again.
Someone mentioned that this was some type of anniversay for NESN and the Bruins. If that is the reason for his return this season vs moving on then this should be it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
@Diversification

That precarious lead the Flyers had is now gone. ;) They are in serous danger of missing the playoffs now. They did trade Walker without a replacement as I suggested but held on to Seeley.

After the last decade in Vancouver I really appreciate a management team sticking by their game plan, building, and not sacrificing the future for a little glimmer of wild hope.
When you have Torts as your HC, you can bet he will push the players to compete and they have. Whether they secure a PO spot or not, they are much higher than anyone thought they would be right now.

I mean, look at the separation between the bottom 4 and the rest of the league. Anaheim is at 52 points and thus would need 20 more just to get into the 8-11 spots occupied by SEA, Cal, Buf, Pit in the Overall standings (from the bottom). And like 35 more to catch LA for a WC spot. 6 straight years out of the PO with 3 bottom 3 finishes a bottom 5 and 2 bottom 10 ones in those 6 seasons and will have secured 4 additional 1st round picks and 4 additional 2nd round picks in those 6 drafts (which includes this one coming up).

Reactions: HockeyWooot

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
thought our board of zegras haters would enjoy reading this stupidity

Saying that the single worst defensive player in the NHL has the upside of one of the greatest defensive forwards in NHL history is the sort of take that outs you as understanding absolutely nothing about hockey.

Kent Johnson must have Patrice Bergeron upside, too.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Saying that the single worst defensive player in the NHL has the upside of one of the greatest defensive forwards in NHL history is the sort of take that outs you as understanding absolutely nothing about hockey.

Eh it’s a poor comparison but I see why he thought to make that one. The C version of Patty Kane would be more correct.

I don’t know who he got last game but he’s dirty as f***.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Eh it’s a poor comparison but I see why he thought to make that one. The C version of Patty Kane would be more correct.

That's literally an entirely different thing.

Datsyuk won three straight Selkes and is one of the greatest two-way forwards in the modern era. Again, it's like seeing some flashy young skill player with 60-70 point upside and comparing him to Patrice Bergeron.

Reactions: Petey O

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

I can’t tell if it’s serious or an April Fools joke.

It reminds me a bit the comparison of Gudbranson to Pronger, and although he wasn’t tracking to be that level of player at all he still had that upside to some because he was big. Zegras has some sick dekes so his ceiling is Datsyuk. It’s the shallowest level of thinking.

I agree with the people above that his upside a few years ago was Patrick Kane light. Lots of talent but seems to of just been coasting off that and not putting in efforts to improve.

Reactions: Vector and MS

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Datsyuk won three straight Selkes and is one of the greatest two-way forwards in the modern era. Again, it's like seeing some flashy young skill player with 60-70 point upside and comparing him to Patrice Bergeron.

Bergeron wasn’t really all that flashy though. Datsyuk was, he got people out of their seats regularly which is why I think the comparison was made but Datsyuk was a premier player in every way you could be. Z just gets people out of their seats. So I do agree with you.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

One hilarious detail is that in describing his performance on tests given to try to figure out what was wrong, Edwards pointed out that one test graded his intellect as "superior." Like, most people would think to themselves: I am tempted to mention that, but it would make me look incredibly pompous, so I won't.

A tiny, tiny part of me will miss him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Probably an April fools joke.

But honestly, don’t get all of the proposals on the trade board for him. He’s Uber talent. Maybe the best hands in the nhl. But if you are Montreal you need someone to help be a leader to get the team to the next level of making the PO. They need to be able to make up 20 points in the standings to contend for a WC spot next season.

Zegras is like Kessel IMO. If he’s on a team where he’s just a scorer and not considered a foundational piece like he was in Pitt then should do fine. Won’t if he’s brought into a Toronto type situation like when Kessel was.

Reactions: Reverend Mayhem

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

What drives me nuts is when all five Sportsnet channels show the same damn game even though there's other games being played.

I don't need to watch the Oilers on five different channels. Let me bounce around to see the other action!

Also - I hope Jack Edwards is healthy. But on a completely separate note, and totally separate from his health, I would like him to do literally anything with his life other than be involved in commentating the sport of hockey. Hands down one of the most raging, idiot, lunatic, homer, unhinged dumbasses to be involved with the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad