Around the League Thread | Meaningful Games in March

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I love how all year they have been ranting like lunatics over our PDO ever since we broke them in October now since it's obvious this team is for real so now they have started saying without any actual facts that we are too soft, a bunch of divers and don't play a playoff style.
I really hope we face them in round 1.
Same, deadmonton is the easiest team to play against.
Other teams in the conference actually looks legit,
the west this year is ridiculously strong.

Reactions: Indiana

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I love how all year they have been ranting like lunatics over our PDO ever since we broke them in October now since it's obvious this team is for real so now they have started saying without any actual facts that we are too soft, a bunch of divers and don't play a playoff style.
I really hope we face them in round 1.

There’s really no way for us to play the Oilers in round 1 with how things are shaping up but then again you never know…

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
The Edmonton Pretenders..

TQYAUrj.gif

Meet the Vancouver Longshanks:

6kKgMN7.gif

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Why would you be scared of Edmonton? They’re supposed to be better than us. All the pressure is on them. Not us.

They’re the team loaded w high end picks and high expectations, not us. They’re the ones with the slogan cup or bust. Not us. They’re the one all the odds makers picked to win the cup. Not us.

It’s the perfect match up.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Sucks with the season he’s having that Crosby is on a sinking ship. Would be awesome to see him in the post season this year.

Both Capitals and Penguins, it seems, are holding on to relics of the past that are slowly rusting and turning into dust in their grasps.

Capitals wants to make sure Ovechkin claims all time goal scoring crown from Gretzky

Penguins wants to keep Crosby and Malkin in the playoff mixer, without actually shooting for the cup

Both to me are the NHL equivalent of Don Quixote, chasing and fighting imaginary targets, while tumbling towards mediocrity and misery.

Those teams are going nowhere, and they are taking their fanbases with them.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Oilers goalies (Skinner yesterday and whichever Pickard is inexplicably in the NHL today) have let in 9 goals on 43 shots in the last two days. That’s a nice cool .791 SV%.
And I was flamed for saying that there are questions regarding their goaltending.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Their OOT thread is so pathetic.
I liked a post one of their members made sh*t talking us with the usual riot talk & it got me banned. The level of insecurity there was quite the sight.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
All of this and more is why I can't see either playing for the oilers any longer than necessary. Oil fans still talk about extensions but I can't see one reason why they'd stay, both frequently look absolutely miserable.

Unfortunately the chances of mcdavid bringing a cup to the leafs could go way way up. Maybe he wants to play in sunny florida or LA idk, but I could see the leafs throwing all the money at mcdavid.
Draisaitl not sure, maybe we find out as soon as thus summer.

The Leafs have similar D issues to the Oilers, except they're fortunate to not have long-term commitment aside from Rielly... there's a chance they could rebuild the backend but they don't have many assets to play with. I really doubt McDavid would want to jump into another team that wouldn't be good enough to contend - would run into the same issue with him and Matthews being scoring machines but not much else

All that said, McDavid is good enough to go supernova and carry the Oilers himself through a few rounds and is totally possible everything aligns for his team and he becomes a lifer in Edmonton. So I'm definitely not talking any shit right now, lest Oilers fans revel on quoting us if they end up deeper in the post-season than us.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I realize the Oilers outshot and out chanced the Sens (and quite badly) but ultimately I'm not sure how much Oiler fans want their goaltenders to do...especially the back up. 2 goals were on the PP on east to west passes with a great one timer. One goal on an odd man rush and another goal on what may as well have been a breakaway given every Oiler backed off of Batherson and let go a great shot.

Don't get me wrong you need saves but at this point they have to know that they aren't going to get top of the league goaltending. It's going to be average to below average and they need to adjust for it. They aren't. Canuck fans are familiar with this lack of adjustment during the Cloutier years.

The Oilers to me have too many flaws. Goaltending is one of course. They don't have a goaltender that is going to win them a series on his own. The inability of their highest paid players to not get agitated/frustrated at the slightest provocation. A blueline that features two players in Nurse and Bouchard who quite frankly can't play defense with any sort of consistency. The Oilers are a PP and one line team (they tend to do nothing 5-on-5 unless McDavid and Draisatl are together). It can lead to some good regular seasons but rarely does it result in playoff success.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Both Capitals and Penguins, it seems, are holding on to relics of the past that are slowly rusting and turning into dust in their grasps.

Capitals wants to make sure Ovechkin claims all time goal scoring crown from Gretzky

Penguins wants to keep Crosby and Malkin in the playoff mixer, without actually shooting for the cup

Both to me are the NHL equivalent of Don Quixote, chasing and fighting imaginary targets, while tumbling towards mediocrity and misery.

Those teams are going nowhere, and they are taking their fanbases with them.
They've won a Cup(s) with their stars. Wash, now hold the final WC spot (TB is 7 points up on Det) so they really are not likely to get caught for a WC spot. Wash/Phi also fighting for 3rd in Metro.

So, at least Ovy is still in the PO mix. He has 2 more seasons under contract. He needs 47 goals to surpass Wayne. Wash has 12 games left this regular season. Figure Ovy gets 3 maybe 4 more to bring it down to 43/44 goals to break the record. So a pair of 22/23 goal seasons would do it.
Thus, I get Wash holding onto Ovy to get the record in a Caps uniform. They haven't been adding guys like Pitt has. Last big acquisition was Mantha back in 2021 TDL. Have held onto their first since.

Pitt, 2 off-seasons ago, they re-signed Malkin and Letang for 4 and 6 year terms in the $6 mill range, so a paycut for both. Malkin looks done as a first line guy. He needs to drop down a line and not be a core guy. For $6 mill, that's probably what he should be if he finishes the final 2 years at the 60 point pace he's on this season. Letang, well, he holds a full NMC and mostly SB, so that's hard to move at his age (nearly like Burns when he was moved with 3 years left on his deal at 1/3 retention). EK, too much term for him as well to get moved for anything close to what Pitt gave up for him.

Sid is going to have to have a sit down with Pens management. These are new owners from the ones he has known over his time in Pitt. He doesn't owe this group any loyalty. Pens would want it to be Sid's call to move on from the team. They will not push him out.
So, it's really in Sid's court how he wants the final year or year(s) if he opts to continue playing after 2025 to decide where he wants to do that. Heck, if he wanted to go elsewhere in the summer, he could ask for a trade.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
They've won a Cup(s) with their stars. Wash, now hold the final WC spot (TB is 7 points up on Det) so they really are not likely to get caught for a WC spot. Wash/Phi also fighting for 3rd in Metro.

So, at least Ovy is still in the PO mix. He has 2 more seasons under contract. He needs 47 goals to surpass Wayne. Wash has 12 games left this regular season. Figure Ovy gets 3 maybe 4 more to bring it down to 43/44 goals to break the record. So a pair of 22/23 goal seasons would do it.
Thus, I get Wash holding onto Ovy to get the record in a Caps uniform. They haven't been adding guys like Pitt has. Last big acquisition was Mantha back in 2021 TDL. Have held onto their first since.

Pitt, 2 off-seasons ago, they re-signed Malkin and Letang for 4 and 6 year terms in the $6 mill range, so a paycut for both. Malkin looks done as a first line guy. He needs to drop down a line and not be a core guy. For $6 mill, that's probably what he should be if he finishes the final 2 years at the 60 point pace he's on this season. Letang, well, he holds a full NMC and mostly SB, so that's hard to move at his age (nearly like Burns when he was moved with 3 years left on his deal at 1/3 retention). EK, too much term for him as well to get moved for anything close to what Pitt gave up for him.

Sid is going to have to have a sit down with Pens management. These are new owners from the ones he has known over his time in Pitt. He doesn't owe this group any loyalty. Pens would want it to be Sid's call to move on from the team. They will not push him out.
So, it's really in Sid's court how he wants the final year or year(s) if he opts to continue playing after 2025 to decide where he wants to do that. Heck, if he wanted to go elsewhere in the summer, he could ask for a trade.
Ovechkin is on fire lately. He has a good shot at 30 this year now.

It sucks for him that he had 2 lockouts and covid during his years or he'd have passed Gretzky already.

The Oilers goalies are not nearly good enough for a playoff team let alone a contender but it's not just their goalies' fault. Their defense is abysmal, their coaching sucks, their systems are awful and their star forwards don't play D. So it's a recipe for disaster and they don't have the goaltending to save them.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I'm firmly of the opinion that, if they're healthy and lucky and on a roll, the Canucks can take any team in the league in a 7 game series.

That said, there's lots of good teams out there and if the Canucks are unlucky or have a core player or two go down, or even if they're just not playing their best, the team could get bounced before they even know what's happening.

Match ups, schmatch ups... if the bounces go our way, I'm as confident as I can be regardless of who the Canucks end up playing.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Despite the West being the stronger conference there's no team other than Colorado that really scares me or makes me feel they could flip a switch and start bulldozing everyone. I don't get that feeling from the Canucks either, although I think they have as good a chance as anyone of reaching the finals.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad