Around the League Thread: 2017 Season Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Arizona moves to Quebec .. Quebec joins the Atlantic Div (which would now have 8 teams).

Expand to Seattle and Houston. Houston goes into the Central Div.and Seattle goes into the Pacific Div. Leaving 8 teams in each division in the west.

That leaves the Metro Div with only 7 teams. But, for example, say they expand (again) to Kansas City (for an old rumour's sake) then KC could move into the Central Div in the West. And then you could move Nashville into the Metro Div in the East.

Works geographically in a sense.

In the end:

Atlantic: Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, Ottawa, Buffalo, Boston, Florida, Tampa Bay
Metro: NYR, NYI, NJ, Washington, Columbus, Nashville, Carolina, Phili

Central: Chicago, Minnesota, St Louis, Winnipeg, Kansas City, Houston, Dallas, Colorado
Pacific: Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Seattle, LA, Anaheim, SJ, Vegas

Divisional rivalries could be: Montreal - Quebec; KC - St Louis; Houston - Dallas; Seattle - Vancouver; Nashville - Carolina

Makes too much sense to move Zona to QC. Gary will never to do it. They should also move/add a team to the GTA but that won't happen in any of our lifetimes.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
New York Rangers forward Jimmy Vesey shares his bloody lip picture and unusual X-ray after taking a skate to the mouth.

New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault confirmed afterwards that Vesey had two teeth in his lip.

DOYbTL8UEAA3j7M.jpg

DOYbTL_UQAAWm-d.jpg

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Toronto doesn't need to have another team in the GTA. i never got this logic.

If New York can have 3 teams, the GTA can support and should have at least two teams. Hamilton would support their team better than Ottawa. Not sure why you don't get the logic.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If New York can have 3 teams, the GTA can support and should have at least two teams. Hamilton would support their team better than Ottawa. Not sure why you don't get the logic.

okay - why should the GTA have another team. that's the logic i don't get.
one could argue that New York doesn't need four (you forgot Buffalo). they are there, but it's not a need. or a should. you want to have a team there. but Hamilton doesn't need one.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
one could argue that New York doesn't need four (you forgot Buffalo). they are there, but it's not a need. or a should. you want to have a team there. but Hamilton doesn't need one.

Because they want the most teams that make the most money. If the league can support an extra 30 players and it can make money, then they do it. Why do we need tim hortons across the street from each other?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Wouldnt surprise me if Ottawa was moved to Quebec.
Duchene, Brassard, Pageau and a French coach. It's begun LOL. That should drive the Habs crazy.
Either way the league needs to figure out what it's doing with Carolina/Arizona. One to Houston, one to Seattle enter Quebec. Now you have 32 teams, 16 each side.
8 Canadian teams would be best. 4 East, 4 West.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

My logic is economics. Demand in the GTA for NHL hockey exceeds supply by a large margin. If the Leafs did not hold the territorial rights or somebody were willing to pay for the rights, there would be another team in the GTA. It is only a matter of time until somebody pays an exorbitant expansion fee for another team. It is one of the reasons why Gary refused to let Basile buy the Preds and move them to Hamilton.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Because they want the most teams that make the most money. If the league can support an extra 30 players and it can make money, then they do it. Why do we need tim hortons across the street from each other?

Exactly. Money makes the world go around.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It could probably be fine financially, but I have zero interest in seeing it happen.

Would much rather see a team go to Quebec or Seattle
I think Seattle is just a matter of time. The league will have 32 teams.
Before that though, the fate of some existing franchises need to be determined.
1. Carolina is for sale. We know that. Who buys them? Someone who stays in Carolina? Or Quebec, Seattle, Houston?
2. Arizona. Always a mess. Do they stay? Do they go?
3. Calgary. What's the deal here? No new arena? Is it posturing or a legit threat to move to Seattle?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think Seattle is just a matter of time. The league will have 32 teams.
Before that though, the fate of some existing franchises need to be determined.
1. Carolina is for sale. We know that. Who buys them? Someone who stays in Carolina? Or Quebec, Seattle, Houston?
2. Arizona. Always a mess. Do they stay? Do they go?
3. Calgary. What's the deal here? No new arena? Is it posturing or a legit threat to move to Seattle?

I think Calgary will be fine where they are, Ottawa however is another story.

Arizona seems a matter of time before relocation, don't know enough about Carolina's situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad