Around the League Thread: 2017 Season Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
No excuses for Lou dropping the ball on the return of our pending UFAs if they choose to move them.
If you look at the list, it only has one meaningful trading partner. Five teams are in the same division, and two teams are in the same conference. Oilers wants wingers but has nothing to offer. Then, the ducks wants center.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If you look at the list, it only has one meaningful trading partner. Five teams are in the same division, and two teams are in the same conference. Oilers wants wingers but has nothing to offer. Then, the ducks wants center.
I doubt what division/conference they're in would matter if it's the best return.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I doubt what division/conference they're in would matter if it's the best return.

That's fair, but it also depends on the type of trade it would be. A player for player trade might work. If it's a matter of moving a UFA for futures, there might be a preference to getting the player out of the division (conference?) or waiting closer to the deadline.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
C'mon Calgary. Mantha scores to make it 3-1. I guess we could have had Mantha for Phaneuf? That was the rumoured exchange. Unbelievable. Now Larkin scores a beauty. Seems like every time I see a west team play our opponents they blow it.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
With Jagr playing at Little Caesar's tonight, it got me thinking: how many arenas has he played in during his career? Must be at least 40.

There are 31 NHL teams then he has played in KHL and for Czech republic and his Jr. years, so it has to be a lot more then 40 arenas

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Not sure why Chicago is struggling so far in this season after a explosive start - there are barely a .500 team

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Quebec, with the addition of both Seattle and Houston, is a balanced set of teams for conferences. RIP when the expansion drafts happen

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Quebec, with the addition of both Seattle and Houston, is a balanced set of teams for conferences. RIP when the expansion drafts happen

I am not sure if Quebec is going to get it, the market is not that big as compared to these US cities

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
1: Houston is in the South - thus "balance"
2: Canadian dollar is still poop.
3: Quebec City is ideal for relocation, not an expansion team.
I like the idea of Houston coming into the league. They have the population and ride the wave of the sports frenzy with the Astros winning the World Series. Plus I like those Province/State rivalries. Seattle has to be a given. The question is who is expansion, who is relocation?

Reactions: carko32

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I like the idea of Houston coming into the league. They have the population and ride the wave of the sports frenzy with the Astros winning the World Series. Plus I like those Province/State rivalries. Seattle has to be a given. The question is who is expansion, who is relocation?

Arizona moves to Quebec .. Quebec joins the Atlantic Div (which would now have 8 teams).

Expand to Seattle and Houston. Houston goes into the Central Div.and Seattle goes into the Pacific Div. Leaving 8 teams in each division in the west.

That leaves the Metro Div with only 7 teams. But, for example, say they expand (again) to Kansas City (for an old rumour's sake) then KC could move into the Central Div in the West. And then you could move Nashville into the Metro Div in the East.

Works geographically in a sense.

In the end:

Atlantic: Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, Ottawa, Buffalo, Boston, Florida, Tampa Bay
Metro: NYR, NYI, NJ, Washington, Columbus, Nashville, Carolina, Phili

Central: Chicago, Minnesota, St Louis, Winnipeg, Kansas City, Houston, Dallas, Colorado
Pacific: Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Seattle, LA, Anaheim, SJ, Vegas

Divisional rivalries could be: Montreal - Quebec; KC - St Louis; Houston - Dallas; Seattle - Vancouver; Nashville - Carolina

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Arizona moves to Quebec .. Quebec joins the Atlantic Div (which would now have 8 teams).

Expand to Seattle and Houston. Houston goes into the Central Div.and Seattle goes into the Pacific Div. Leaving 8 teams in each division in the west.

That leaves the Metro Div with only 7 teams. But, for example, say they expand (again) to Kansas City (for an old rumour's sake) then KC could move into the Central Div in the West. And then you could move Nashville into the Metro Div in the East.

Works geographically in a sense.

In the end:

Atlantic: Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, Ottawa, Buffalo, Boston, Florida, Tampa Bay
Metro: NYR, NYI, NJ, Washington, Columbus, Nashville, Carolina, Phili

Central: Chicago, Minnesota, St Louis, Winnipeg, Kansas City, Houston, Dallas, Colorado
Pacific: Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Seattle, LA, Anaheim, SJ, Vegas

Divisional rivalries could be: Montreal - Quebec; KC - St Louis; Houston - Dallas; Seattle - Vancouver; Nashville - Carolina
You forgot Detroit Bert who are currently in the Atlantic.
I can't see Bettman wanting to move another American team to Canada. He will probably except a 500 million expansion fee for Quebec but whoever doesn't make it out of Carolina/Arizona will see Houston/Seattle.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Bring back the Houston Aeros and the clear boards they had in their arena. Mark and Marty Howe can be coach and GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad