Around the League: Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, Subban for Weber!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Brills*

oh please .. we lucked out winning the lottery it's not as if you could plan that.

Leaf fans have been talking themselves in circles for the last year trying to convince themselves they got great value for kessel.

so you keep kessel during a rebuild in which he's checked out.

You do you.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
so you keep kessel during a rebuild in which he's checked out.

You do you.

english a second language? The entire team checked out.

as i said.. the leafs needed to make a statement .. the return wasn't important.

that has neither hear nor there to do with the fact that the leafs got a incredibly bad return for him.

Mad Brills*

as i said.. the leafs needed to make a statement .. the return wasn't important.

that has neither hear nor there to do with the fact that the leafs got a incredibly bad return for him.

I agree, but keeping him wasn't an option

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
oh please .. we lucked out winning the lottery it's not as if you could plan that. what happens if the tandem of Reimer and Bernier played lights out for the first 50 games of the season last year?

Leaf fans have been talking themselves in circles for the last year trying to convince themselves they got great value for kessel.

we didn't get value for him, we needed to do it to make a statement and we did.

I've always been of the belief we didn't get enough for Kessel, that being said it was a move we needed to make. And winning the lottery worked out well for us.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

AHAHAHAAHAHA I haven't seen Travis Yost this disturbed by trades since a long time.

Comments like the one that unnamed exec made are among the dumbest post-trade reactions. It's a GM or exec saying it with zero ramifications. You wouldn't have offered that, you just want to give a hot take and make it look like you weren't sitting on your ass while Subban was traded.

We heard rumors during the year that Subban's value was being assessed. Then we heard last week that he was being shopped. Another GM said he was looking into it. Rumors abounded that Draisaitl and the 4th had been offered or asked for.

If you would have traded that much, why didn't you offer it? Stupid comment

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Picks #1-#6 now of the 2010 draft have been traded from their drafted teams.

Crazy

8 of the top 13 have been traded. If Fowler gets moved, that makes 9.

Plus Bennett, Etem, Coyle, Pysyk, Tinordi have all been traded by the teams that drafted them too.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out but Hall looks a little overrated to me. If you line up Hall's season last year with JVR and Kessel at the same age his are more like JVR's. He has the game of someone who'd expect big goal scoring seasons out of but only 27 goal career high. His defense and possession game isn't great. Might still have star upside but I don't think Oilers are traded a player who's already a superstar forward

The guy has the 3rd most even strength production in the league behind only Benn and Seguin. He's very very good. I think you're underrating him here.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
The Edmonton situation has to make people rethink the whole "always take BPA" scenario. You always end up getting ripped off when you're desperate.

Well the Seth Jones/Ryan Johansen trade is pretty much a reason why you stick with the "always take BPA" scenario.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Travel back in time to one year ago.

Ask a Predators fan, "Who will be your top defencemen one year from now? Weber or Jones?"

"The answer is PK Subban"

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
The best tweet I saw all day said something along the lines of, "What's crazy about the two trades today is that both Edmonton and Montreal could have benefited far more by trading with each other as opposed to trading with New Jersey and Nashville"

So true. Hall for Subban > Hall for Larsson; Subban for Weber

Montreal needed a D back, though.

I'm sure Edmonton would have pounced on Hall for Subban.

I don't think it was just Montreal that thought it might just be best to leave that particular idea to die.

Edmonton's got a major salary problem coming in the future. Adding a 9M dollar Subban makes that much much harder to deal with. They needed to be careful about who they added. Larsson is cheaper by 1.5ish over Hall long term which helps a little.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I think people's perspective on top defensemen has been skewed by the very small number of players who have come into the League over the past 6 years or so and played at a very high level right from the beginning. And especially high point totals from exceptional young offensive d-men like Subban, Karlsson.

Realistically 99% of defensemen in the NHL won't hit their stride until their mid-to-late 20s and continue honing their mental game well into their 30s.

Larsson is only 23. His team went to game 6 of the Finals in his rookie year, that might be considered valuable in itself for a team of young players who have only ever experienced the NHL as bottom-feeders in the truest sense of the word.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Okay.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Comments like the one that unnamed exec made are among the dumbest post-trade reactions. It's a GM or exec saying it with zero ramifications. You wouldn't have offered that, you just want to give a hot take and make it look like you weren't sitting on your ass while Subban was traded.

We heard rumors during the year that Subban's value was being assessed. Then we heard last week that he was being shopped. Another GM said he was looking into it. Rumors abounded that Draisaitl and the 4th had been offered or asked for.

If you would have traded that much, why didn't you offer it? Stupid comment

The two trades were so bad for the Canadian Teams that I almost feel compelled to put on a tinfoil hat for the first time in my life.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Remember in 2010 when the debate was Taylor or Tyler. Flash forward to 2016 and Chia answers the question by trading both of them. Chia never met a young top 10 pick he couldn't trade.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I think Chia did what he had to in trading Hall for a quality defenceman, the Oilers will be better for it even if they lost the trade. Of course at first glance this looks incredibly bad in terms of value for one of the top wingers in the NHL signed to a very reasonable 6 Mil contract. We'll find out if this looks better or even worse down the road - but atleast I give Chia credit that he had the b***s to do what no other previous GM in Edm did, and that was to improve the team even if that meant he loses a trade.

The PK move to me is more of the head scratcher, it almost seems that the Habs brass had more of an issue with his personality/character then his actual play. To me no doubt Weber in the short term brings better leadership, and probably at the moment a better player, but long term Nashville wins this by a landslide. Subban from 27 to 35 vs Weber from 30 to 40 - ouch.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
so we got two prospects that may not even make it to the NHL, and a goaltender that may not even be a credible starter for one of the top pure goal scorers in the game today.

yes I see how that's good value.
:help:

Yeah, that's one way to look at it.

The other is that we got a young established starting goaltender with a career save percentage that would rank him 6th among active starting goalies. We also got two recent 1st round picks; a projected top 6 forward and a projected top 9 forward.

In retrospect, we got a hell of a lot more than the Habs and the Oilers did yesterday, and Subban and Hall are far more valuable than Kessel.

January

Jun 29, 2016
So happy I can cheer for PK now. Canadiens proved yesterday they have possibly the most inept management in the NHL. Great to see.

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
Yeah, that's one way to look at it.

The other is that we got a young established starting goaltender with a career save percentage that would rank him 6th among active starting goalies. We also got two recent 1st round picks; a projected top 6 forward and a projected top 9 forward.

In retrospect, we got a hell of a lot more than the Habs and the Oilers did yesterday, and Subban and Hall are far more valuable than Kessel.

I disagree I would have been much happier if we got Weber in return for Kessel.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Oilers trade was expected as they will overpaid for a Dman.
The Habs deal seems like they just want to trade PK.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Something had to give in Edmonton. This was probably as much a trade to shake up their culture as it was to boost their D group. Losing a player like Hall hurts, but they did get back something they very much needed, and made a statement to everyone in their organization that this is really a new dawn. No more staying the course with the group they have, it's time for a change. A ballsy move by Peter, one that could work out well, or bite him in the ass.

New Jersey is building themselves a pretty strong young core with guys like Hall, Zacha, and Severson. It'll be interesting to see their growth in the next few years.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think Chia did what he had to in trading Hall for a quality defenceman, the Oilers will be better for it even if they lost the trade. Of course at first glance this looks incredibly bad in terms of value for one of the top wingers in the NHL signed to a very reasonable 6 Mil contract. We'll find out if this looks better or even worse down the road - but atleast I give Chia credit that he had the b***s to do what no other previous GM in Edm did, and that was to improve the team even if that meant he loses a trade.

The PK move to me is more of the head scratcher, it almost seems that the Habs brass had more of an issue with his personality/character then his actual play. To me no doubt Weber in the short term brings better leadership, and probably at the moment a better player, but long term Nashville wins this by a landslide. Subban from 27 to 35 vs Weber from 30 to 40 - ouch.

Exactly how I view it. Both paragraphs.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Exactly how I view it. Both paragraphs.

It's obvious that the Oilers gave up the best player in the trade.
However, are they a better team now?
We will see. A collection of players doesn't make a good team. Something had to be done to stop the bleeding.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Ls8XRfw.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad