Around the League: Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, Subban for Weber!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Man, Oilers fans on the main boards are talking themselves in circled trying to justify what happened today.

At least Habs fans mostly seem to be upset...

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
2 very different trades. Kessel trade was not about the return at all.
Don't feel that different. Both are losing trades where the teams trading the better player were in a corner. Leafs absolutely had to move Kessel that summer to get the rebuild going and were further cornered with Pittsburgh as the only legitimate option. Oilers were also fairly cornered since they had to upgrade the blueline and change the core or else they'd just do the same rodeo all over again. They had an easier time though since there were more blueliners they could have possibly targeted (or maybe not, I don't know).

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
well maybe I'm nuts bu i would have traded kessel for hall when we had him

glad it turned out we got andersen though.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
With the Hall trade it seems like the Oilers felt they needed to trade the old prince to make room for the new prince.

I wonder if both trades yesterday were a result of a failed Hall for PK deal, which makes a ton more sense to me for both Edmonton and Montreal.

Seems like both teams ended up with the wrong prom date.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I love these trades from a Leafs perspective - I'd be furious if I was Montreal....
Bergevin does this trade for a culture change and had nothing to do with on-ice performance. I think Weber is slightly better than Subban at this very moment.. come trade deadline Habs fans will be hating on Weber.

See, Weber comes from an organization where defence wins you games. He was insulated with Suter, Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, etc. Now he is being plumped in with mediocre dman. He, like Subban, is the star/#1 dman playing with a bunch of 4-5 pairing guys. Weber will get ridiculed hard - especially because the fans lost their star boy Subban.
I love Weber, one of my favourites, but I feel horrible for his future with the Habs. Best case scenario, he ups his game, mentors Sergachev and they begin to develop a good defensive core. But under a **** coach like Therrien, I cannot see this happening.

Hall for Larsson, it ain't pretty. RNH and Klefbom could have landed Oilers a RHD. Larsson is good in NJD, can't see him panning out in another brutal system like the Oilers.

To think this is because of a Lucic deal......hahahah Chiarelli is just bad.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Was it a choice between Pacioretty and Subban being moved? I would have moved Pacioretty in a heartbeat over Subban if that were the case. The captain who celebrated like a champion his 30th goal into an empty net during the dying seconds of meaningless win under meaningless circumstances. The player who literally tried to choke Mikhail Grabovski in a scrum. Maybe Weber can come in and take over the room. Maybe Pacioretty is the next player to be moved.

Henchmen 21

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Chiarelli is giving the league some serious deja vu, not only does he trade hall like he did seguin, but if reports are to be believed he did it in part to bring in lucic, which is what he was doing in boston when he traded seguin trying to get Horton. Now to make the picture complete Lucic should shop for a better offer and leave edmonton high and dry.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Chia definitely sacrificed need in this deal ... He could have been blinded by his target but I agree, he left a lot of value the table to get the guy. And judging by his presser, or from what I saw, he sees the upside Larsson to be that #1.

Surprised they couldn't get New Jersey to throw in a pick or something though.

I expected more, but what we are probably seeing is the value of the RHD.

Wingers value just isn't the same as a center or defender. Leafs had to retain on Kessel, and got a bunch of hope, not a single NHLer worth keeping in the deal.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
More like Kessel + 2 2nds (the 2nd on the Andersen trade and the one the Leafs gave back to the Pens) + Conditional 5th for Kapanen, Andersen, Spaling and Rychel.

More like Winnik (1st trade to Pittsburgh), Kessel and Polak for Andersen, Kapanen, Rychel, Marincin, a 2nd round pick (SJ 2018) and a 3rd round pick (Pitts 2016, J.D. Greenway).

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He also noted that Larsson can play 25-28 minutes against top lines (not that I believe it) and is "trending upward".

He seemed pretty somber about it all though, like he knew it wasn't a great return for Hall.

But hey - sometimes you need to take a step back to go forward.

I told my Oilers friends at work I expected the Oilers to be the team to watch this summer.

I expected Eberle, RNH, and Yakupov to be dealt.

Personally, I don't think Chiarelli is done dealing, and I still expect to see more transactions this summer for the Oilers.

The thing is the Oilers can afford to trade away a couple top 6 players and still have a good top 6.

Without making moves the team will not move forward, and it isn't about the numbers on the back, nor their individual achievements, it is about team success.

As a Leafs fan, most enjoyment we get isn't on the ice, so entertainment is usually TDD, Draft Days, Free Agent days, and then the dreaded on ice debacles.

I'm for more transactions, from everyone, but I hope the Leafs go for quality this summer rather than a bushel barrel of cast-offs used to fill spots to ensure they have enough bodies to ice a team.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Edmonton had too many good forwards to protect in the expansion draft, and not enough defensemen worth protecting.

Getting McDavid made Hall a bit redundant...McDavid has the ability to turn mediocre wingers into 25-30 goal-scorers. Maybe Chiarelli looked at Pittsburgh as his example: people thought they didn't get enough for James Neal, but it turns out they didn't need a sniper to play with Crosby at all.

There are also already questions about Hall's long-term durability. He plays a fearless game but he's not built like an Ovechkin. He averaged 60 games/season until last year.

Larsson is on a great contract. If he turns into a quality top pairing defenseman long-term then Edmonton did very well here.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
After a stroll around the Habs forum here, I have a felling we may have more Leafs fans incoming. :)

Probably more Sens fans too are being created as we speak.

Mad Brills*

so we got two prospects that may not even make it to the NHL, and a goaltender that may not even be a credible starter for one of the top pure goal scorers in the game today.

yes I see how that's good value.
:help:

ok, let's keep phil kessel and phaneuf while going for that 8 seed.

Makes sense.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Edmonton had too many good forwards to protect in the expansion draft, and not enough defensemen worth protecting.

Getting McDavid made Hall a bit redundant...McDavid has the ability to turn mediocre wingers into 25-30 goal-scorers. Maybe Chiarelli looked at Pittsburgh as his example: people thought they didn't get enough for James Neal, but it turns out they didn't need a sniper to play with Crosby at all.

There are also already questions about Hall's long-term durability. He plays a fearless game but he's not built like an Ovechkin. He averaged 60 games/season until last year.

Larsson is on a great contract. If he turns into a quality top pairing defenseman long-term then Edmonton did very well here.

the expansion draft is probably what screwed edmonton more than anything.

but it really depends .. if Edmonton is signing Lucic and Demers .. all of a sudden that team with McDavid in his second year doesn't look that bad .. and they have Paj as well coming up.

however you really couldn't sign Lucic AND keep hall AND not have problems in the expansion draft.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
ok, let's keep phil kessel and phaneuf while going for that 8 seed.

Makes sense.

oh please .. we lucked out winning the lottery it's not as if you could plan that. what happens if the tandem of Reimer and Bernier played lights out for the first 50 games of the season last year?

Leaf fans have been talking themselves in circles for the last year trying to convince themselves they got great value for kessel.

we didn't get value for him, we needed to do it to make a statement and we did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad