Around the League Part 9: The Post-Tavareslyptic Hellscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I've watched a decent amount of Nylander and I'm just not a fan of his o-zone approach. He makes people come out of their seats with his transition game. However, way too much perimeter play, rarely digs in for a puck, not a high-traffic area player... reminds me of a faster and more agile Teravainen. I think the Canes would find a lot of trouble in a Playoff setting with two perimeter guys (Nylander + TT) playing in a primary scoring role.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Again: Belmont is 100% happening. Every major political figure in both the Metro area and Albany is completely behind this. It is on state land so shady Nassau County politicians can't do a freaking thing to stop it. The Islanders aren't going anywhere. Also the rumor is that Bettman grew up an Isles fan during the dynasty days which is why he has always fought like hell to save the team. He literally wasn't going to allow them to move.
Bettman isn't going to allow anyone to move. He realizes that its better for the league to have a larger geographical footprint to help entrench the league into a national following than to continue to base teams where there is already market saturation.

But that never stopped the vultures from being vultures. Though, it is incredibly frustrating to see that behavior encouraged here, especially over at BoH.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I've watched a decent amount of Nylander and I'm just not a fan of his o-zone approach. He makes people come out of their seats with his transition game. However, way too much perimeter play, rarely digs in for a puck, not a high-traffic area player... reminds me of a faster and more agile Teravainen. I think the Canes would find a lot of trouble in a Playoff setting with two perimeter guys (Nylander + TT) playing in a primary scoring role.

They should be secondary scoring on this team to Aho and Svech.

I wouldn't mind sending McKeown to Tor for Kap b/c I think he does a good job driving the net in the handful of games I've seen him play. Tor does this because they will be near the cap and need a RD on an ELC who is more of a defensive D. It would also clear the RD logjam we have a little while getting a good winger on ELC enticing Fox to stay.

3rd line
Kap - Necas - Svech.

If we could expand the deal around Faulk + McKeown for Nylander + Kap that would be ideal. I think we need to add and would be willing to throw Gauthier into the deal. Also we've seen how good Faulk can be with Hainsdoggo so that would probably be enticing to Tor.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Sadly, I don't think Tor is gonna make any moves with their big players. They simply don't have to yet and why would they when you have all those ELCs. Next year may be different, but I can see them working it all out to not lose anybody substantial.
My bet is that they try to bridge Nylander this year like we did with Lindholm previously and try to postpone armageddon by 2-3 years in the process.

Still, I'd like to see them make a panic move in response to Tampa getting EK (if they do) and give us something REALLY nice for Faulk. More realistically they'd probably end up giving us Kapanen and Sparks/Pickard for TVR.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Couple things

1 - just saw a 'I hate John Tavares' thread pop up on the Metro headlines, so I ventured into the Isles page just to take a look. Yeesh, depressing place right now. Just sharing stories of burning jerseys and stripping decorations off their kids bedroom walls.

2 - is it just me or have TML posters become so much worse since the Tavares signing? Seems like every thread on the Trade forum is turning into some form of a pissing contest between TML posters and whoever the thread is actually about. They were all over the DeHaan signing, and now they're starting the same stuff in the Karlsson thread.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Couple things

1 - just saw a 'I hate John Tavares' thread pop up on the Metro headlines, so I ventured into the Isles page just to take a look. Yeesh, depressing place right now. Just sharing stories of burning jerseys and stripping decorations off their kids bedroom walls.

2 - is it just me or have TML posters become so much worse since the Tavares signing? Seems like every thread on the Trade forum is turning into some form of a pissing contest between TML posters and whoever the thread is actually about. They were all over the DeHaan signing, and now they're starting the same stuff in the Karlsson thread.
Makes it more fun when the Lightning or the Bruins bounce them in the first round next year.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Couple things

The Tavares signing was adding fuel to the fire... It was glorious when stamkos didn't go there and now we know how it is with the opposite. Unbearable posters and now there will be ones that just came out of hiding from the Boston meltdown to shove how great the leafs are down everyones throats.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Couple things

People don't understand the underlying reason for the pure hate, so I'll give it to you guys. Before he was ever drafted the horrible Toronto fans and media launched a campaign to get JT to refuse to play for the Isles and demand a trade to Toronto. Their slimebag GM encouraged this as he tried to strongarm the Isles into giving up the pick. It didn't work. Undaunted those same disgusting fans and media sycophants spent the last 9 years beating the drum how the Isles and their fans didn't deserve JT and how he had to come home where he belonged. They were basically doing the job of tapping up a player on behalf of the team (This is particularly true of the media/fanboys). So when he decided to sign with THAT team JT completely validated everything those human termites spent the past 9 years saying. He not only inflicted a gigantic wound on Islanders fans, he poured oil drums full of salt and gallons of lemon juice on top of it. That is why he is so hated and that is the story that is being completely ignored. If he signed with any other of those teams the venom towards him wouldn't even be in the same stratosphere as it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad