Around the league part 2

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

I remember when Herby was acting like the NHL was filled with saints and that players aren't looking to injure one another.

To all the soft dudes in this forum. This is just a fact. Either you get injured or you try to dish some of it out yourself. A competitive edge is a competitive edge. If you don't like it go watch tennis.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
The reffing is way skewed toward EDM this game
I still don't understand the charging call.

Rule 42 of the NHL rulebook dictates that charging "shall mean the actions of a player or goalkeeper who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner.

Petterson traveled zero distance. How can that be charging?

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008

I remember when Herby was acting like the NHL was filled with saints and that players aren't looking to injure one another.

To all the soft dudes in this forum. This is just a fact. Either you get injured or you try to dish some of it out yourself. A competitive edge is a competitive edge. If you don't like it go watch tennis.

Too f***ing true, and I'm someone that can't stand dirty plays or headshots. But just to reiterate the old adage, "Every team needs a few good criminals."

Both games were great tonight, playoff hockey at its best. But yikes that was a terrible implosion by the Canes, just brutal. That poor crying kiddo on camera said it all.

Reactions: Schrute farms

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

You once again show an inability to understand the difference between hurting and injuring

Note which one is used in the quote.

We're still proponents of big hits, making players look over their shoulders, and win the war of attrition. Not glorify the acts of chickenshit behavior.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
For Edmonton's sake I hope McDavid is injured, because that game last night was about as bad a playoff performance effort I've seen from an all-time great player

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Shows how much better Vancouver's coaching has been, nobody expected them to get this far, much less make the playoffs.

The Kings also showed barely any grit, whereas Vancouver isn't shying away from the rough stuff.

I guess building a team full of gutless players is counterproductive if you want any playoff success.
5 games against the Oilers

Kings xGF% 44%, Canucks 44%

Kings PDO 0.95, Canucks 1.04
Special teams Kings -9, Canucks -2

Canuck don’t play scared. They don’t focus on outshooting you, they focus on outscoring you. I’ve said early in the season that the Canuck are a good team with a high PDO. They’ve managed to neutralize the Oilers on special teams by getting sticks in passing lanes better and actually scoring on their own power plays. Special teams is where the coaching makes a big difference.

The Oilers are nothing special at 5vs5. They’re not doing anything different on the power play, but the Canucks are making adjustments on their penalty kill that prevent clean back door and cross ice passes from the corner that the Kings never figured out.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Oilers are nothing special at 5vs5.
They were the number one team in the NHL at xGF% 5v5.

They’re not doing anything different on the power play, but the Canucks are making adjustments on their penalty kill that prevent clean back door and cross ice passes from the corner that the Kings never figured out.
Coming into this game Edmonton was 5 of 10 on the PP in the series.

I didn't get to see the game tonight, so I don't know if their PowerPlay just had an off night (it happens to even the best), or if it was due to something Vancouver did, but the Canucks coaching staff doesn't get credit from me based on their 50% PK in the first 4 games.

Tonight could've just been an aberration for the PP. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I have no problem with that charging call

Yeah guys often leave their feet at or after the moment of impact but EP literally jumped into it, that will always be a charge

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
When the Kings traded for PL I thought we were getting a version of JT Miller. Boy was I wrong…

There was a time when comparing someone to Miller would've been like comparing someone to Dubois. Like during the span(pre-Vancouver) when he had 3g in 61 playoff games, while averaging 18g per 82 regular season games.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Smart kid. Modeling his game after the best since hasek. Maybe the best ever when the moneys on the line
I agree. Quick was money and if everything I owned was on the result of a game, prime Quick is my goalie. He was robbed of the 2012 Vezina.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
I have no problem with that charging call

Yeah guys often leave their feet at or after the moment of impact but EP literally jumped into it, that will always be a charge
To me it felt more protecting himself much in the same way guys get low sometimes to avoid the total impact. Ref obviously felt he could've just taken the hit but we've seen guys go low to not get blown up and the player flies over the top. Kinda hard to see it called in a playoff game but I'm not too torn up over it.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
He left his feet before contact so no problem with the call; however, they probably don't call it if Vancouver wasn't already on the power play.

The call that I thought was horrible was the one on Staal for crosschecking Z when Z completely dove into the boards to draw the call. Tie game on the ensuing PP.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
The call that I thought was horrible was the one on Staal for crosschecking Z when Z completely dove into the boards to draw the call. Tie game on the ensuing PP.
Brutal call but seemed like a makeup call for the puck over the glass delay of game they missed just before that.

Reactions: Omni Owl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad