Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Kadri grabs Getzlaf's stick and hits himself in the face with it then yells at the refs, Avs fans incensed they don't get a PP with 3 minutes left in the game up by one. But Goligoski had the worst dive of the year apparently... LOL

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Kadri grabs Getzlaf's stick and hits himself in the face with it then yells at the refs, Avs fans incensed they don't get a PP with 3 minutes left in the game up by one. But Goligoski had the worst dive of the year apparently... LOL
Atleast Kadri is hitting himself in the head for once....

Reactions: TaLoN

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Lundell looks really good. Skating is better than his draft year, albeit still not a strength. Shot is still vg. Skill level is much higher though. He can make more talented plays with the puck. His brain, though, will always be his differentiator.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Lundell looks really good. Skating is better than his draft year, albeit still not a strength. Shot is still vg. Skill level is much higher though. He can make more talented plays with the puck. His brain, though, will always be his differentiator.
Always liked him, and I NEVER thought his skating was as bad as people thought. He's Koivu 2.0.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
LaFontaine with a 7.20 GAA and .780 save %.

That’s a shame.

Not a Gopher fan but I don’t know how anyone could be watching him this season and think he’s remotely ready for the spot he’s been thrown into. He’s a AHL/ECHL tweener who is out of that rotation as soon as a team has better prospects come through.

I don’t see how what he did is of any benefit to him or that franchise. He’s probably buying himself even less of a pro career than he otherwise would have. There were goaltenders like McIntyre who were out there for nothing who can play better in a pinch than having him come into something he’s not equipped for.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not a Gopher fan but I don’t know how anyone could be watching him this season and think he’s remotely ready for the spot he’s been thrown into. He’s a AHL/ECHL tweener who is out of that rotation as soon as a team has better prospects come through.

I don’t see how what he did is of any benefit to him or that franchise. He’s probably buying himself even less of a pro career than he otherwise would have. There were goaltenders like McIntyre who were out there for nothing who can play better in a pinch than having him come into something he’s not equipped for.

4 days of work and he's been paid $18k. That's more than he would have gotten in a month if he signed after the season and played in the minors. Now add on the $88.5k signing bonus. and he's made over $100k. None of that might have been there if he finished out the season and CAR's goalies get healthy and he's not needed. Or they don't give him a contract when the season is over because they filled the need with someone else or whatever.

You're right he currently isn't a NHL quality goalie, but this might be his only chance to ever play in the NHL. Opportunities like that don't come along very often for any player.

Follow your dreams and sink or swim, but take the chances when you're that age. Otherwise he could be washed out of every league by age 30 and regret not taking that one chance for the rest of his life. Heck if things go right for CAR he could end up a part of a Cup winner (watching from the pressbox/team suite).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
4 days of work and he's been paid $18k. That's more than he would have gotten in a month if he signed after the season and played in the minors. Now add on the $88.5k signing bonus. and he's made over $100k. None of that might have been there if he finished out the season and CAR's goalies get healthy and he's not needed. Or they don't give him a contract when the season is over because they filled the need with someone else or whatever.

You're right he currently isn't a NHL quality goalie, but this might be his only chance to ever play in the NHL. Opportunities like that don't come along very often for any player.

Follow your dreams and sink or swim, but take the chances when you're that age. Otherwise he could be washed out of every league by age 30 and regret not taking that one chance for the rest of his life. Heck if things go right for CAR he could end up a part of a Cup winner (watching from the pressbox/team suite).
I don't blame him at all. I do think that the Canes could've made a minor deal for a better, or at least equal quality G, and not given themselves a bad name with the NCAA.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Fletcher getting the old band back together? And Nick Schultz is an assistant coach there...how did I miss that?!

Last edited:
Reactions: MuckOG

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

New Reverse Retros next year, hope ours turn out as good as last years, could use a Boldy one to go with my Kaprizov.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

New Reverse Retros next year, hope ours turn out as good as last years, could use a Boldy one to go with my Kaprizov.

I wonder if this moves back the alternates they were supposed to be creating for next year.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, seems like we'll never get a 3rd jersey at this rate.

I don't think they need to move it back, you can release an alternate and have a reverse retro in the same season. Just gonna depend on how they want to do it. If they try to do a reverse retro with Wild colors this time, it doesn't make sense to do an alternate with the same colors. However, it doesn't make a lot of sense to do another RR with North Stars colors either, because they just did that (unless the teams are going to swap the home/away part of it. Maybe the Wild do a home/colored jersey this time?).

Anyway, I wonder if they'll get weird with it, and maybe do something inspired by the Fighting Saints with blue and yellow? That way they can still release a normal colored alternate.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I don't think they need to move it back, you can release an alternate and have a reverse retro in the same season. Just gonna depend on how they want to do it. If they try to do a reverse retro with Wild colors this time, it doesn't make sense to do an alternate with the same colors. However, it doesn't make a lot of sense to do another RR with North Stars colors either, because they just did that (unless the teams are going to swap the home/away part of it. Maybe the Wild do a home/colored jersey this time?).

Anyway, I wonder if they'll get weird with it, and maybe do something inspired by the Fighting Saints with blue and yellow? That way they can still release a normal colored alternate.
From a sales perspective it would make sense to stagger them further. There just aren't a lot of people who are willing to buy two new jerseys in one year, but like you said, it depends on how similar they are to jerseys in the past.

The quote about changing the definition of RR was interesting though. I don't feel like many Wild fans would really connect to something inspired by the Fighting Saints, but maybe I'm wrong. I sure wouldn't see myself wearing a blue and yellow Wild jersey unless it was exceptionally designed.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
From a sales perspective it would make sense to stagger them further. There just aren't a lot of people who are willing to buy two new jerseys in one year, but like you said, it depends on how similar they are to jerseys in the past.

The quote about changing the definition of RR was interesting though. I don't feel like many Wild fans would really connect to something inspired by the Fighting Saints, but maybe I'm wrong. I sure wouldn't see myself wearing a blue and yellow Wild jersey unless it was exceptionally designed.

I think if one of them is an alternate that you plan on using for at least a few seasons, you don't really need to stagger that one. People will have plenty of time to get that one later on. But I do see your point.

I can't say I would really vibe with a Fighting Saints inspired jersey either, but I'm also not going to go get another North Stars colored jersey. It's fun to have, I'm glad they did it once, but unless they're going to permanently rebrand with those colors, it's not something they need to do again so soon.

So yeah, maybe this ends up pushing the alternate back as they go with a red/cream/green RR, maybe something based on these:

VMH_Wild_Jerseys_2.jpg

Reactions: Wild11MN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So - Minnesota doesn't have an analytics team after Fenton fired the last group and the one of that group isn't looking so hot after what a shit show Seattle is pulling.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
So - Minnesota doesn't have an analytics team after Fenton fired the last group and the one of that group isn't looking so hot after what a shit show Seattle is pulling.
They either aren't doing well or they aren't being paid any heed by Seattle's management team. Really tough to say who should get credit for what below the GM level, at least on the management side of most pro sports. Results of different peoples' work and input aren't as obvious as on the coaching side of things

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
They either aren't doing well or they aren't being paid any heed by Seattle's management team. Really tough to say who should get credit for what below the GM level, at least on the management side of most pro sports. Results of different peoples' work and input aren't as obvious as on the coaching side of things

They helped select the GM.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
They helped select the GM.
Yeah, and it appears to have been a mistake. I'm just saying it's difficult to tell past that point, whether

A) They are giving okay input RE player selection, evaluation, pro and amateur scouting, etc. and the boss isn't listening to them for whatever myriad of reasons;
B) They are giving okay input RE player selection, evaluation, pro and amateur scouting, etc. and the boss is failing to execute a plan based on this input and the input of his scouts, coaching staff, etc. with any level of competence, or
C) they really suck at their job

I'll also say that Grubauer sucking this bad was completely unpredictable and a huge part of why they are where they are, whatever our opinions of Ronnie Franchise and the rest of their managerial group.

Reactions: TaLoN

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

o_O

I don't think it'd have any bearing on Miller, personally. But with both Rutherford and Allvin in Vancouver it could lead to some trade talk over the summer, depending on who we end up moving and which direction they want to take that team in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad