Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - 2023-24

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Sundqvist, Bailey, Fischer, White, Ritchie, and Stephan are the FWDs the I'm waiting to see where they sign.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would be down for Sundqvist, and maybe Fischer. IMO, we've got skilled but lightweight prospects that can play in the NHL in Rossi, Walker, and maybe Beckman(will be interested to see how Milne has progressed), so any forward we sign needs to be able to win a puck battle or two.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, there are rumors that the Stars are interested in signing Dumba but need to create some cap space first. How delicious would it be if they bought out Suter in order to sign Dumba?

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
So, there are rumors that the Stars are interested in signing Dumba but need to create some cap space first. How delicious would it be if they bought out Suter in order to sign Dumba?
Probably some receipts to have been kept after the Pavelski hit.. guessing some Dallas fans will forget what they were screaming.

But that would also be rib-eye straight off the grill delicious

Reactions: 57special

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I'd temporarily become a fan of the Stars again.
Gross.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BagHead

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Man Avs are a terrible team to develop talent. Newhook has been a massive disappointment in the NHL and just got shuffled off to Montreal. I remember a lot of fans wanting him, myself included and how good he was.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Man Avs are a terrible team to develop talent. Newhook has been a massive disappointment in the NHL and just got shuffled off to Montreal. I remember a lot of fans wanting him, myself included and how good he was.

IIRC my thinking going into that draft was MN would have a choice between Soderstrom, Knight, and Krebs. I wasn't much interested in anyone other than those 3 (I had Boldy being gone in the top-10)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
IIRC my thinking going into that draft was MN would have a choice between Soderstrom, Knight, and Krebs. I wasn't much interested in anyone other than those 3 (I had Boldy being gone in the top-10)

The popular picks on this board were Caufield and Newhook. Then Krebs. Don't think there was much interest in Soderstrom or Knight here. I also had Boldy going in the 7-10 range, was thrilled when he didn't. Still not sure why he didn't. Also mostly just glad Vancouver took Podkolzin because I never saw the hype there.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The popular picks on this board were Caufield and Newhook. Then Krebs. Don't think there was much interest in Soderstrom or Knight here. I also had Boldy going in the 7-10 range, was thrilled when he didn't. Still not sure why he didn't. Also mostly just glad Vancouver took Podkolzin because I never saw the hype there.

Krebs was my 1st choice. Soderstrom, I thought, was the best of the rest d-men. Knight was the best goalie. Zegras was the player I was hopiong would fall into MN's lap.

I didn't want Caufield (very small) or Newhook (just seemed like he'd be a tweener).

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I wanted Caufield pretty badly. I know he is small but I figured the team could use a right handed goal scorer. Been pretty happy with Boldy so I can't say I'm upset we passed on him.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I wasn't really enamored with anyone expected at our spot, just absolutely didn't want Knight... Thought Boldy was going to be gone by 7 so never even considered him... once he was available, he was the ONLY player I wanted us to take.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Didn't want Knight.

Didn't know who Soderstrom was.

At the time of the pick, was fine with any of Boldy, Caufield, Newhook or Krebs. Krebs was a fairly distant 4th on that list though.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I wanted Caufield pretty badly. I know he is small but I figured the team could use a right handed goal scorer. Been pretty happy with Boldy so I can't say I'm upset we passed on him.
I think the way Boldy-Caufield and Eriksson Ek-Boeser played out is the same way Ohgren-Snuggerud and Yurov-Kulich will play out. Every player is good, but I think we end up with the better player in every situation.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
More skilled was the term you used.
Yep, because Caufield is more skilled. Boldy is a better player because his size enables him to do more against the bigger NHL players and he plays better defensively.

It's like saying that Addison is more skilled than Faber. Faber is clearly the better player, but Addison is way more skilled offensively.

Some can figure it out. Others not so much.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yep, because Caufield is more skilled. Boldy is a better player because his size enables him to do more against the bigger NHL players and he plays better defensively.

It's like saying that Addison is more skilled than Faber. Faber is clearly the better player, but Addison is way more skilled offensively.

Some can figure it out. Others not so much.

Skilled just means "does something well", so if Boldy is better at hockey, he's more skilled. If Caufield was more skilled, he'd be better.

Like Kaprizov is better at hockey than Boldy, and he's more skilled, and he's smaller.

So size has nothing to do with it outside of making yourself feel better about how the player you like more is worse at hockey.

It's all just a coping mechanism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad