Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - 2023-24

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's a not a bad $5m deal because it's only 1 year. Zucker spikes good years when it's a contract year.

It's a win win. Arizona needs to add salary, they're gonna be able to flip him at the deadline for a recent return, he gets to go to a contender

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Klingberg with TOR.
BUF signed EJ.
DET signed Holl.
VAN signed Soucy and Cole.
ANA signed Gudas.
Mayfield re-signed with NYI.
FLA went dumpster diving and signed a bunch of d-men.

Where is left for Dumba to sign? AZ. OTT, or SJS (after they trade EK)?

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Don't you kinda have to like, participate, to get a participation trophy?

Lettieri and Lucchini are a nice participation trophy if the main prize in the center contest in JT Comper on a 25 million dollar deal.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Don't you kinda have to like, participate, to get a participation trophy?

MN signed 2 players (likely both end up in the AHL). That's about as little participation as you can have.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Memorandum
To: all teams
Subject: Free Agency

Free agency starts on July 1st at Noon (EDT). Follow the CBA, good luck, and have fun.
Signed,
Your Lord and Master the Commish

To: reply all
Subject: Free Agency

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Kinda surprised....although perhaps it adds some credit to the rumors that teams weren't willing to pay a lot for him in a trade. Maybe now that he's a UFA, his asking price is a bit too high.

There hasn't been much for big paydays (yet) this year. Only 3 contracts $6m+, and only 12 contracts $4m+ (so far).

My gut is that Dumba signs with the team that misses out on an EK trade.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kinda surprised....although perhaps it adds some credit to the rumors that teams weren't willing to pay a lot for him in a trade. Maybe now that he's a UFA, his asking price is a bit too high.

If all he's trying to do is maximize the $$$ it would benefit him more to wait until the rest of the market is picked over and he's the big prize left at the end

He also might end up going the Zucker route and taking a 1 year deal from the highest bidder, maybe getting traded at the deadline, try to recoup his value next season when the cap is supposedly going up

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Gonna be a rough next 2 years.
Team has a ton of cap space next season.

Assuming the following contracts:

Gus - 3 years: $3.67M AAV
Duhaime - 2 years $1.15M AAV
Addison - 2 years $1.15M AAV
Khusnutdinov - 2 year ELC
Dewar - 2 years $1.25M AAV

Kap - Rossi/Khusnutdinov - X
Johansson - Ek - Boldy
X - Khusnutdinov/Rossi - X
Dewar - Gaudreau - Duhaime

Brodin - Faber
Middleton - Spurgeon
X - Addison
Merill

Gus
Wallstedt

$19.3M in cap space

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If all he's trying to do is maximize the $$$ it would benefit him more to wait until the rest of the market is picked over and he's the big prize left at the end

He also might end up going the Zucker route and taking a 1 year deal from the highest bidder, maybe getting traded at the deadline, try to recoup his value next season when the cap is supposedly going up

He also might get left holding the bag like Klingberg if he waits too long.

Ghost and Hamonic are still unsigned. There are still a few other guys (Bear, Jones, Staal, etc) that would be cheaper options too.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He also might get left holding the bag like Klingberg if he waits too long.

Ghost and Hamonic are still unsigned. There are still a few other guys (Bear, Jones, Staal, etc) that would be cheaper options too.

I'm drawing on a blank on the Jones you're referring to but I think Ghost is the only one who could get more money than Dumba? I mean crazier things have happened but Ghost is the only one I'd pay for

But yeah he could end up getting screwed too.

Ghost just got 1x4.1

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm drawing on a blank on the Jones you're referring to but I think Ghost is the only one who could get more money than Dumba? I mean crazier things have happened but Ghost is the only one I'd pay for

But yeah he could end up getting screwed too.

Ghost just got 1x4.1

Caleb Jones (nonQO by CHI). He's a decent bottom pair option.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
BUF, DET, OTT, and VAN were the teams I saw Dumba ending up. TOR, EDM, and FL as long shots. PHI would have been my 1st choice if Fletcher was still there.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
BUF, DET, OTT, and VAN were the teams I saw Dumba ending up. TOR, EDM, and FL as long shots. PHI would have been my 1st choice if Fletcher was still there.

I like OTT for him a lot, maybe it's pending the Cat trade though

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I like OTT for him a lot, maybe it's pending the Cat trade though

Maybe?
I see 3 big trade names in Hellie, EK, and Cat on the block.

The only big UFA names left to sign are Tank and Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad