Around the League LXXVI - The Annual Leafs Collapse Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Mike Richards is a boat anchor, and isn't even a good 4th liner right now, even Edmonton isn't stupid enough to claim him.

A+ move by Kings management to get rid of him for the sake of improving the team. Puts our loyalty to our core guys in context.

Richards just got engaged, led the Kings to 2 cups, led them back from a 3-0 series deficit, is close friends with their core group, has a NTC and is signed long term.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Why would anyone trade for Mike Richards? He's lazy, overpaid, has big term left, and based on his work "ethic" he's likely to become even worse over the next few years. He's already barely a 4th liner at this point.

LA got cocky after their SCF wins and thought they could keep him instead of doing the smart thing and buying them out. Hopefully not teams are dumb enough to bail them out of the situation.

Dustin Brown will probably end up in the same boat in a season or two. That's the worst contract in the NHL -- 7 more years after this one. Hoo boy.

Well if LA could sweaten the pot it could make sense for a team that's going nowhere at the moment. Dave Bolland managed to get the same type of contract in the summer.

I wouldn't be surprised if LA is in talks with a team right now for Richards, but will only take him if LA eats salary/adds/etc. So LA goes okay lets waive him first and see if anyone will take him for free before we consider that.

Often when a vet like this is waived after he clears there's a trade shortly after.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Mike Richards is still a very good hockey player, not worth his contract, but still a solid #2c (people will disagree i am sure), and at worse a #3 C on a bad team.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
David Clarkson back then was still miles better than Richards is now.
Richards (they way he is now) makes you think about who'd you rather have on your team (him or Clarkson) - it indicates how far he's fallen (and how crappy his contract is).

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Mike Richards is still a very good hockey player, not worth his contract, but still a solid #2c (people will disagree i am sure), and at worse a #3 C on a bad team.

How is he still a #2?

People will disagree with you because you're wrong.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
How is he still a #2?

People will disagree with you because you're wrong.

When someone actually states others will disagree, you know they can't have much conviction in their statement. Not sure how he'd be a solid #2 but also a #3 on a bad team. Maybe a #4 on a terrible team?

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

He's been the Kings' 3C-4C for the last while. Most likely he got waived because Lombardi feels he's playing at replacement level at best, and since no one is going to take on that contract might as well keep him down in the AHL

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

he's not even close to even a solid 3rd line centre, he flat out sucks and is weighing down guys like Kyle Clifford and Dwight King at this point.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver

You just completely contradicted yourself in the same sentence. :laugh:

Plus as far as you being right on Kassian, if you keep saying a prospect is going to fail, you will eventually be right. Plus I remember you admitting you were wrong on Kassian at the end of last season. Therefore you thought he was a worthwhile player for a while. You changed opinions multiple times.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
David Clarkson back then was still miles better than Richards is now.

Nope. Richards is still much better than Clarkson, Clarkson is just on a crappier team. With as horrible of a season he is having and less ice time, Richards still has more points.

Everyone gets into these one upping hyperbole competition. Next thing Richards is going to be called an ECHL caliber player.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Nope. Richards is still much better than Clarkson, Clarkson is just on a crappier team. With as horrible of a season he is having and less ice time, Richards still has more points.

Everyone gets into these one upping hyperbole competition. Next thing Richards is going to be called an ECHL caliber player.

Did you even read what I posted? I suggested that David Clarkson was more effective in 2012/2013 than Mike Richards is now, and it is absolutely true. Also using just points to evaluate players is incredibly ineffective.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Mike Richards is definitely worth picking up. Also, Daniel Alfredsson.

/thoughts from 2011.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
It's true though.

The fans in Columbus loved it.

If the title was "All Star game not about you, Canada," then I'd have zero problem with it. Columbus was about the only place where you could see the game down there. It was not nationally televised in the US as far as I could tell, unless it was some obscure, backwater channel.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Mike Richards wouldn't bump a 19 year old Bo Horvat from the line-up at this point. He's been awful for a while now. Nobody wants anything to do with him around the league. See what he can do in Manchester for a while.

Sounds like Zadorov was having a bit too much fun and didn't report back to Buffalo in time. Ah well, they'll get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad