Around the League LXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

He's Detroits best player almost every night.

BkQ6ciECIAAMZiu.jpg

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Nyquist is completely bure-esk with acceleration.

Cheering for detroit in the playoffs.

Wetcoaster

Helene Elliott ‏@helenenothelen
Final at Staples Center: Kings 4, Coyotes 0. Kings clinch No. 3 spot in Pacific and playoff berth. Quick with a 17-save shutout.

Tim Wharnsby ‏@WharnsbyCBC
#LAKings tonight shutout the opposition for a league-leading 12th time. Next best is BOS & StL at 9 apiece.

Wetcoaster

Sportsnet ‏@Sportsnet
Perry scores twice in third to help Ducks come back to beat Oilers.

Corey Perry scored twice in the third period, and Francois Beauchemin added the winning goal with 1:21 left as the Anaheim Ducks rallied to beat the Edmonton Oilers 3-2 on Wednesday night.

Beauchemin fired a slap shot past goalie Viktor Fasth to give the Ducks their 50th win of the season (50-18-8). Perry and Ryan Getzlaf assisted on the deciding goal.​
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/perry-fuels-ducks-in-comeback-win-over-oilers/

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Wings just keep on producing talent to replace the outgoing batch of veterans.

Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan, Smith and Dekeyser are all fitting into their roles on the team.

And they still have guys like Pulkinen, Sproul, Oullett and Mrazek on the farm team excelling.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Still laughing at the people that say they wouldn't have traded edler for the nyquist package hahah

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Still laughing at the people that say they wouldn't have traded edler for the nyquist package hahah

At that time, Detroit supposedly offered Nyquist+ for Edler. That means they weren't expecting him to be their leading goal scorer either, just like everyone else.

To scoff at anyone who didn't like the risk of that deal is like laughing at someone for putting money on red instead of black in a game of roulette when he loses.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
At that time, Detroit supposedly offered Nyquist+ for Edler. That means they weren't expecting him to be their leading goal scorer either, just like everyone else.

To scoff at anyone who didn't like the risk of that deal is like laughing at someone for putting money on red instead of black in a game of roulette when he loses.

Not really most of the people that said no to that trade still are saying they wouldn't

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Wings just keep on producing talent to replace the outgoing batch of veterans.

Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan, Smith and Dekeyser are all fitting into their roles on the team.

And they still have guys like Pulkinen, Sproul, Oullett and Mrazek on the farm team excelling.

plus Anthony Matha in junior

I hope Canucks can start something similar next year by fill the farm with talent which will happen as some player will be turning pro and eventually take the next step to the NHL. While there will be some others player left in the farm to keep on development.

Detriot maybe one of the only team who draft pick in the later rounds and have success

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Not really most of the people that said no to that trade still are saying they wouldn't

Then you laugh at the latter half.

In a matter of months, the balanced shifted from Nyquist+ for Edler to Edler+ for Nyquist.

Anyway, this is all just hindsight now.

It's quite obvious even Detroit didn't have the same amount of faith you had in Nyquist, otherwise there wouldn't be any rumour about Nyquist being on the table. He could have gone down in flames and had a **** season, but he did the latter. Trading upper tier players in their prime for unproven high level prospect can be rewarding, but is a major gamble.

Gillis could have elected to roll the dice by trading Edler then, but if none of the pieces he acquired pans out and Edler has a rebound season, he'd have his head chopped off.

Keeping Edler would result in less potential PR damage.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Then you laugh at the latter half.

In a matter of months, the balanced shifted from Nyquist+ for Edler to Edler+ for Nyquist.

Anyway, this is all just hindsight now.

It's quite obvious even Detroit didn't have the same amount of faith you had in Nyquist, otherwise there wouldn't be any rumour about Nyquist being on the table. He could have gone down in flames and had a **** season, but he did the latter. Trading upper tier players in their prime for unproven high level prospect can be rewarding, but is a major gamble.

Gillis could have elected to roll the dice by trading Edler then, but if none of the pieces he acquired pans out and Edler has a rebound season, he'd have his head chopped off.

Keeping Edler would result in less potential PR damage.

Is there any hard proof Nyquist was ever on the table or is this all based of HF trade board mock trades? We know they didn't want to deal the 1st and they may have valued Nyquist as highly as the 1st. The deal might have been around any of Tatar, Jurco or Sheahan.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Would Nqvist have the same success here in Vancouver as in detriot? Torts is not exactly a great coach compare to Mike Baracock. I think Nqvist is more than likely to spend most of the year in the AHL.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Is there any hard proof Nyquist was ever on the table or is this all based of HF trade board mock trades? We know they didn't want to deal the 1st and they may have valued Nyquist as highly as the 1st. The deal might have been around any of Tatar, Jurco or Sheahan.

I can't be bothered to hit the archives, but based on memory alone there were Detroit rumours right around the draft. I believe Nyquist was mentioned.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I can't be bothered to hit the archives, but based on memory alone there were Detroit rumours right around the draft. I believe Nyquist was mentioned.

It is hard to sort fact from fiction though, people fill in the blanks, well canucks want 1st, young player and prospect - therefore it must be that Detroit is offering [insert players you think fit the bill here] and call it a rumour.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
It is hard to sort fact from fiction though, people fill in the blanks, well canucks want 1st, young player and prospect - therefore it must be that Detroit is offering [insert players you think fit the bill here] and call it a rumour.

If I remember correctly, I believe there were two rumours at the time. One being a Carolina-Vancouver deal falling through (not much was disclosed about that), and the other being Gillis making a counteroffer to Detroit that was not accepted.

At this point though, it all comes down to which team Edler will waive for come draft day.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Would Nqvist have the same success here in Vancouver as in detriot? Torts is not exactly a great coach compare to Mike Baracock. I think Nqvist is more than likely to spend most of the year in the AHL.

I think I agree with you? Hard to tell. Seriously though, on the Canucks he would be on a line with Dalpe and Sestito, playing 8 mins a game and this place would be burning effigies of him and demanding Edler back.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
For all those Dave Nonis fans:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...nd-his-buyout-proof-contract/article17783243/

Clarkson's contract is virtually buy out proof. And in addition even though the cap is going up, Nonis can add this to his list of accomplishments.

With both captain Dion Phaneuf and leading scorer Phil Kessel’s new contracts (a $15-million cap hit combined) coming on the books next season, Toronto’s cap situation is expected to be tight this summer. After signing their various restricted free agents, the Leafs will have something in the neighbourhood of $12-million left and will need to either re-sign or find replacements for forwards Nikolai Kulemin, Mason Raymond, Dave Bolland, Jay McClement and Troy Bodie.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
For all those Dave Nonis fans:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...nd-his-buyout-proof-contract/article17783243/

Clarkson's contract is virtually buy out proof. And in addition even though the cap is going up, Nonis can add this to his list of accomplishments.

With both captain Dion Phaneuf and leading scorer Phil Kessel’s new contracts (a $15-million cap hit combined) coming on the books next season, Toronto’s cap situation is expected to be tight this summer. After signing their various restricted free agents, the Leafs will have something in the neighbourhood of $12-million left and will need to either re-sign or find replacements for forwards Nikolai Kulemin, Mason Raymond, Dave Bolland, Jay McClement and Troy Bodie.

To quote Dave Nonis:
“I’m not worried about six or seven right now,” Nonis said. “I’m worried about one. And Year One, I know we’re going to have a very good player. I believe that he’s got a lot of good years left in him.”

The Leafs' core all locked up to long term contracts: Clarkson, Phaneuf, Bozak and Kessel.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
That goal by Nyquist last night... that was just beautiful... brought a tear to my eye watching him going around Chara like he was a giant pylon.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
To quote Dave Nonis:
“I’m not worried about six or seven right now,†Nonis said. “I’m worried about one. And Year One, I know we’re going to have a very good player. I believe that he’s got a lot of good years left in him.â€

Looks like he was right to be worried about year one :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad