Around the League - Is it Playoffs Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Really, OMG. I was just having this conversation the other day with some buddies of mine, I was saying if someone play 1000NHL games, he deserves to be in the HOF nomatter how horrible his stats are. The fact that you play at least 13 seasons in a full contact league is a talent in itself.

Stajan in the HOF ... LQTM.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I kid you not.
If Joel Quennville gets fired, I'll be A-Okay with them firing Babcock. I love Q.
Wow, really?

I don't think I'm educated enough on Quenneville, but I'm certainly a big fan of Babcock and what he's brought to the organization. Can't imagine kicking him to the curb at this point for another coach would do anything but send really bad messages about what's going on behind the scenes in Toronto.

Also, people criticize Babcock for not having been able to get his aging Red Wings rosters beyond the 1st Round most years, but Quenneville's Blackhawks are absolutely bombing this year. What's the story there? Is that a result of the veterans slowing down? Injuries? They (along with the Pens) were one of the closest things we've had to a Dynasty in the modern era of the NHL - Their fall from grace this year has to be somewhat alarming.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wow, really?

I don't think I'm educated enough on Quenneville, but I'm certainly a big fan of Babcock and what he's brought to the organization. Can't imagine kicking him to the curb at this point for another coach would do anything but send really bad messages about what's going on behind the scenes in Toronto.

Agreed. The chances of dumping Babcock to make room for Quenneville are approximately zero IMHO. It just makes zero sense especially when you consider that Babcock has done an amazing job here so far.

Anyone besides me remember when we traded Quenneville to Colorado? Of course they never did call that the "Joel Quenneville trade". ;)

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
It's crazy to think the Penguins may end up as a Wild Card team. If they do let's hope they stay as the first WC team and stay in their division for now.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I kid you not.
If Joel Quennville gets fired, I'll be A-Okay with them firing Babcock. I love Q.

Probably the one coach where I'd really mull that over. The obvious answer here is co-coaches. :D

I ultimately wouldn't, but Q definitely gets snapped up in short order if he ends up on the market. Probably shouldn't be the fall guy if there ends up being one, but I guess there's a lot of term wrapped up in players they probably don't want to - or likely can't easily - move, and it's not easy to bring about change otherwise.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Wow, really?

Also, people criticize Babcock for not having been able to get his aging Red Wings rosters beyond the 1st Round most years, but Quenneville's Blackhawks are absolutely bombing this year. What's the story there? Is that a result of the veterans slowing down? Injuries? They (along with the Pens) were one of the closest things we've had to a Dynasty in the modern era of the NHL - Their fall from grace this year has to be somewhat alarming.

:laugh: slightly tongue in cheek. but i really do love Q, have ever since he was with the Blues, and I wish we had given him a chance when he was let go. Whoever gets Quennville will be v. happy, I 100 percent know that to my bones.

Honestly, I don't really follow other teams except for the playoffs (i simply have too much on my plate), but to me I think it's just lack of scoring (trading Panarin for Saad is not looking good), too much money into two players, when one isn't producing offensively enough, too much money in old players (here's lookin' at you Seabrook). Keith is like a ghost, and then Crawford being injured spelled ughohoness. I also feel, (even with a tonne of success) maybe there just comes a time when you don't wanna hear the mssg from the guy anymore. that could be it.

honestly if Q wanted to be the highest paid assistant coach ever (he or Bruce Boudreau and I swear Bruce would do it just to be with the Leafs LOL), and work in tandem with Babcock that would be an amazing coaching juggernaught. (it will never happen, but a girl can dream, right?) lol @Buds17 had the same idea!

Reactions: Buds17 and IBeL13f

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
how does that work again?
The #1 Seed in the Conference plays the #2 Wild Card team (the #2 Wild Card team then 'joins' the Division of the #1 Seed)

The #1 Seed in the other Division plays the #1 Wild Card team (the #1 Wild Card team then 'joins' the Division of that #1 Seed)

So right now, Florida (the #2 Wild Card team) would play Tampa (1st in the East), and, should they beat the Lightning, would remain in the Atlantic bracket, playing the winner of Boston/Toronto

Philadelphia (the #1 Wild Card team) would play Washington (1st in the Metro Division), and, should they beat the Capitals, would remain in the Metropolitan bracket, playing the winner of Pittsburgh/Columbus.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
The #1 Seed in the Conference plays the #2 Wild Card team (the #2 Wild Card team then 'joins' the Division of the #1 Seed)

The #1 Seed in the other Division plays the #1 Wild Card team (the #1 Wild Card team then 'joins' the Division of that #1 Seed)

So right now, Florida (the #2 Wild Card team) would play Tampa (1st in the East), and, should they beat the Lightning, would remain in the Atlantic bracket, playing the winner of Boston/Toronto

Philadelphia (the #1 Wild Card team) would play Washington (1st in the Metro Division), and, should they beat the Capitals, would remain in the Metropolitan bracket, playing the winner of Pittsburgh/Columbus.

New Jersey is still the #2 Wild Card team.

Playoffs if the season ended today:

Tampa Bay vs. New Jersey
Boston vs. Toronto

Washington vs. Philadelphia
Pittsburgh vs. Columbus

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
New Jersey is still the #2 Wild Card team.

Playoffs if the season ended today:

Tampa Bay vs. New Jersey
Boston vs. Toronto

Washington vs. Philadelphia
Pittsburgh vs. Columbus
Florida has a higher P% than New Jersey, so I used them instead.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
the one thing about Q is if he gets fired, someone will pay him as much if not more then babs. when babs signed that contract he pretty much made a statement saying this is what elite coaches with a great track record should be getting

There is no way they are firing Q. they will do a hawks remodel way before they even think of letting him go.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
the one thing about Q is if he gets fired, someone will pay him as much if not more then babs. when babs signed that contract he pretty much made a statement saying this is what elite coaches with a great track record should be getting

There is no way they are firing Q. they will do a hawks remodel way before they even think of letting him go.
Not every team is Toronto, though, and can afford to spend whatever they feel like on a head coach. You could definitely be right - It'll be interesting to see what happens with that moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad