GDT: Around The League-Episode X-Playoffs

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
So I am thinking for nicknames...

No Show Joe (been there done that kinda)

Or....

Slow Mo Joe (in honor of tonight's game).

Wow was he terrible again in the clutch.

I feel vindicated another year.

0-0-0-0

Unreal....so glad we made that trade.

For nothing? Com'on. I'll never agree w/ that. I wish we just had just one difference maker we could point to right now going into a series vs Crosby, Malkin, Niel, etc... that came from that deal.

But as far as Joe? I said at the time they put mediocre teams around him. What hasn't he had around him in SJ since going there? Jesus they even got him a 50 goal man. I'll never get that guy.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
For nothing? Com'on. I'll never agree w/ that. I wish we just had just one difference maker we could point to right now going into a series vs Crosby, Malkin, Niel, etc... that came from that deal.

But as far as Joe? I said at the time they put mediocre teams around him. What hasn't he had around him in SJ since going there? Jesus they even got him a 50 goal man. I'll never get that guy.

Difference maker? How about Chara? No Joe trade, no Chara. In hindsight one of the best deals the org. ever made, even if it was for, at the time and now, a terrible return.

And we didn't always have great teams around Joe here, but he had a couple top-tier ones in '02 and '04 and managed to disappear. You are right though, consistently better teams and talent with him in SJ and he just keeps ghosting it in the playoffs.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I was wrong.

San Jose needs to blow it up. Mediocre hockey can only be tolerated for so long.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The Joe Thornton trade enabled the Bruins to add Chara, Ference, Seidenberg and Bartkowski when all was said and done. It took a few years but I'd say it worked out very well for us.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002

Addition by subtraction. He had very good teams here. Always no shows when the stakes were high.

He absolutely stunk tonight.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
LA is very good, I don't see an unbeatable juggernaut some in the media see.

I honestly don't think they're that great overall as a team; they're good, sure, but they get dominated for large parts of many games. Quick is easily the best goalie in the NHL right now though, so they're in every game. Also, they seem to be ridiculously opportunistic, not just in capitalizing on their opportunities, but in getting those goals and saves at the right time. I want to say they won't be able to keep it up, but they have for the past 2 seasons now.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Saturday, June 1 Boston at Pittsburgh 8 p.m. NBC

Monday, June 3 Boston at Pittsburgh 8 p.m. NBC Sports Network

Wednesday, June 5 Pittsburgh at Boston 8 p.m. NBC Sports Network

Friday, June 7 Pittsburgh at Boston 8 p.m. NBC Sports Network

*Sunday, June 9 Boston at Pittsburgh 8 p.m. NBC Sports Network

*Tuesday, June 11 Pittsburgh at Boston TBD NBC Sports Network

*Wednesday, June 12 Boston at Pittsburgh TBD NBC Sports Network

Nvm

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I was wrong.

San Jose needs to blow it up. Mediocre hockey can only be tolerated for so long.

Please. I don't know what else you can ask from that team, at least this year. They had a great playoffs this year. No need to change much up at all.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Difference maker? How about Chara? No Joe trade, no Chara. In hindsight one of the best deals the org. ever made, even if it was for, at the time and now, a terrible return.

And we didn't always have great teams around Joe here, but he had a couple top-tier ones in '02 and '04 and managed to disappear. You are right though, consistently better teams and talent with him in SJ and he just keeps ghosting it in the playoffs.
Possibilities are endless, we didn't have to deal him for nothing is the point.

Could have targeted picks on garbage teams. Which wouldn't have affected the cap one bit, and received more out of that deal. And, still had Chara and Savard. Don't buy that argument, sorry. Still irks me, every time we come up short. Look how long we had to wait for Krug to come along. All those years we couldn't score, etc.

But yeah, from the second he went out there he was on a loaded team. Way out of excuses. Worse, and what made me crazy when he was here, is the game he plays. Nothing short of Pronger or Chara would stop that guy from driving to the net. Instead he basically plays the same game as Krejci, who plays the game he does out genuine necessity. Joe could have been Lindros Lite. What a waste.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I honestly don't think they're that great overall as a team; they're good, sure, but they get dominated for large parts of many games. Quick is easily the best goalie in the NHL right now though, so they're in every game. Also, they seem to be ridiculously opportunistic, not just in capitalizing on their opportunities, but in getting those goals and saves at the right time. I want to say they won't be able to keep it up, but they have for the past 2 seasons now.

LA honestly reminds me of the bruins a lot

Likely we're about to see similar match ups:

High end offensive teams with magic powerplays versus hard working grinder teams with top tier goalies

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Addition by subtraction. He had very good teams here. Always no shows when the stakes were high.

He absolutely stunk tonight.

I suppose. But we could have turned it around a lot faster, too. Say we flipped him to Chicago, or the Bolts. How nice would it be to have Toews, Kane, or Stamkos, etc. Just having those extra pieces to move around to get what we needed.

Yeah, he did. And was at his worst when they needed him the most. Two passes that led to turnovers in the last minute, and he had time to make a better play. Swear he lost his last 2 or 3 faceoffs, too.

Glad they eliminated the Nucks. But glad he's out. Don't want him near a Cup. **** em.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It all means nothing if your core guys continue to no show every year.

And who would that be? I thought Thornton, Couture, Pavelski, Burns all looked great this playoffs. They ran into a ridiculous playoff goalie. **** happens. Not everything is a choke or a disappointment; you have to give the opponent credit sometimes.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
LA honestly reminds me of the bruins a lot

Likely we're about to see similar match ups:

High end offensive teams with magic powerplays versus hard working grinder teams with top tier goalies

Somewhat similar I guess. I think they're a lot more reliant on their goalie than us though.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Disappointing to see the Sharks lose. Pavelski absolutely needed to score there. Shawn Thornton has an excuse for not being able to lift a puck into an empty net, Pavelski does not.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Saturday, June 1 Boston at Pittsburgh 8 p.m. NBC

Monday, June 3 Boston at Pittsburgh 8 p.m. NBC Sports Network

Wednesday, June 5 Pittsburgh at Boston 8 p.m. NBC Sports Network

Friday, June 7 Pittsburgh at Boston 8 p.m. NBC Sports Network

*Sunday, June 9 Boston at Pittsburgh 8 p.m. NBC Sports Network

*Tuesday, June 11 Pittsburgh at Boston TBD NBC Sports Network

*Wednesday, June 12 Boston at Pittsburgh TBD NBC Sports Network

Nvm

CBC will be carrying the series in canada. Please God - have mercy and make the CBC use anybody but Bob Cole for these games.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
CBC will be carrying the series in canada. Please God - have mercy and make the CBC use anybody but Bob Cole for these games.

I think we are getting Bob Cole. He does not do anything on the West Coast anymore because of his age. The WCF for be Hughson/Simpleton/Healy.

Great - he'll probably waste 10 minutes discussing whether Boston should start Moog or Lemelin in nets. :shakehead

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think we are getting Bob Cole. He does not do anything on the West Coast anymore because of his age. The WCF for be Hughson/Simpleton/Healy.

Thank god. Healy is so annoying. He seems to hate everyone except the Penguins (or at least he loves Crosby).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad