Around the League: Congrats Pittsburgh Penguins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
SJ PP 31% in these playoffs. Last playoff year they had with PP dynamo genius on the bench they were 12.5%.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I think the Sharks are gonna take the cup. Which will make a few on this board wonder about McLellan. Probably unjustly.

But man oh man does this ever prove this team needs a new power play coach

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I think the Sharks are gonna take the cup. Which will make a few on this board wonder about McLellan. Probably unjustly.

Sharks went to the Conference Finals with Tmac so lets slow down on that. The Blues are significantly better than the Preds, as well.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Sharks should've won this series in 5 realistically. Pesky Preds indeed. I like San Jose, hope Jumbo Joe gets his Cup. Imagine that, 5 Stanley Cups to the state of California in the past 10 years. Dynasty state lol.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Sharks should've won this series in 5 realistically. Pesky Preds indeed. I like San Jose, hope Jumbo Joe gets his Cup. Imagine that, 5 Stanley Cups to the state of California in the past 10 years. Dynasty state lol.

Wouldn't it only be 4? LA twice and Anaheim once.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Man, their last PP guy must have been awful. Rightfully awful.
What sad sack franchise would hire that guy?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

They had me convinced after 2 games in the Kings Series. This Sharks club is right on top of their game. Complete domination. They played 3 PERFECT games in Kings series and a few in this one.

When Sharks are playing their best nobody can play with this team.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Wow, Rinne completely wigged out after that 5th goal. His team no-shows in front of him all night, I can understand the frustration.

"No shows"?

This misses what actually occurred out there. The better team, by a much larger than realized margin won the game and were the completely dominant club from finish to end and all over the Preds from the opening whistle. This wasn't lack of try it was being utterly dominated by a much better squad.

heres something to think about.

The Sharks were the better team in the last 4 games of the series. This series should only have gone 5 games. Lets not lose sight of that. Or that Sharks absolutely spanked the Preds in game 5, and game 7 in SJ and absolutely should have won game 6 in Nashville.

Preds got luck, and Rinne, for two of their wins in this series. They were never really as close in the series as 7 games indicated and todays game was never in doubt. Actually nobody should even be surprised.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
wow their PP went from 20.1% to 22.5% big woop

You must have missed this post;
SJ PP 31% in these playoffs. Last playoff year they had with PP dynamo genius on the bench they were 12.5%.

That's an astounding difference and lets not forget that the reason they didn't close out the Kings 2yrs ago was futility on the PP in games 4, 5, 6, 7.

Funny how pretty much EXACTLY the same players are just rocking it out of the ballpark on PP now.

Are people still gonna deny that Sharks are getting MUCH better coaching now.

You've never seen THIS play from the Sharks before ever in the playoffs.

Actually theres been few instances of such complete and utter dominance. Nashville had only 6shots in the first 35mins of this deciding game. Think about that.

I don't know that I've ever seen a team that shutdown in a game 7.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Welp. Four teams I can't stand in the conference finals.

God dammit. Really wanted Weber to get a Cup.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You must have missed this post;

That's an astounding difference and lets not forget that the reason they didn't close out the Kings 2yrs ago was futility on the PP in games 4, 5, 6, 7.

Funny how pretty much EXACTLY the same players are just rocking it out of the ballpark on PP now.

Are people still gonna deny that Sharks are getting MUCH better coaching now.

You've never seen THIS play from the Sharks before ever in the playoffs.

Actually theres been few instances of such complete and utter dominance. Nashville had only 6shots in the first 35mins of this deciding game. Think about that.

I don't know that I've ever seen a team that shutdown in a game 7.

12.5% in a tiny sample size means nothing. Regular season matters more because of this. They had over 22% the year before that (ranked 3rd). I acknowledge it is on fire this playoffs, and maybe the coach has something to do with it, or the player changes, or both. It's a stretch to make the story of the Sharks this playoffs about how their previous coaching was awful.

More than likely, they needed a new coach. Sometimes they just run their course. Coaches can erode over time and find success on a new team.

It's also a useless issue to take up since the coaching is staying on the Oilers for now at least. We might as well discuss the things that might actually change, and give the coaches we have better players to work with.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Ours went from 17.1 to 1...8. huh. That doesn't fit the narrative.

Don't forget to exclude Eakins time. Might also be fair to exclude goals McDavid contributed on. Our PP this year was McDavid or nothing. Couldn't get anything out of any of our players without McDavid in the lineup. Sorry to start a Woodcroft rant in here, but evidence keeps mounting that the guy is really nothing special. Eakins as our PP coach last season would have given just as good results with the only successful strategy being to put out the generational talent to do whatever he wants to do.

Anyways, good for the Sharks. They definitely look different this year. Better goaltending helped them too.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
12.5% in a tiny sample size means nothing. Regular season matters more because of this. They had over 22% the year before that (ranked 3rd). I acknowledge it is on fire this playoffs, and maybe the coach has something to do with it, or the player changes, or both. It's a stretch to make the story of the Sharks this playoffs about how their previous coaching was awful.

More than likely, they needed a new coach. Sometimes they just run their course. Coaches can erode over time and find success on a new team.

It's also a useless issue to take up since the coaching is staying on the Oilers for now at least. We might as well discuss the things that might actually change, and give the coaches we have better players to work with.

Well, Oiler fans should wonder why woodcraft has a job as an NHL PP coach. He's simply not any good at it. Which is becoming increasingly evident but this season should have given ample indication of his futile schemes. Without McDavid this pp under Woodcroft was a complete disaster.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Don't forget to exclude Eakins time. Might also be fair to exclude goals McDavid contributed on. Our PP this year was McDavid or nothing. Couldn't get anything out of any of our players without McDavid in the lineup. Sorry to start a Woodcroft rant in here, but evidence keeps mounting that the guy is really nothing special. Eakins as our PP coach last season would have given just as good results with the only successful strategy being to put out the generational talent to do whatever he wants to do.

Anyways, good for the Sharks. They definitely look different this year. Better goaltending helped them too.

Yeah, it's way more complicated than just the coaching. It pains me to not want San Jose to go further so we don't have to hear here and on the main board about how our coaching was the weak link in San Jose.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Bring on Round 3. Sharks were not interested in choking yet again tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad