Around the League 43: Playoff Time- Goodbye Buffalo, Goodbye Yzerplan. And Goodbye Yotes, Welcome Utah.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Twenty possible names for Utah’s team. I’m glad they did the reasonable thing and changed it to Utah Yeti (with no “s”)

I still think Outlaws is the best name, but I still expect them to do something much less interesting.

Glad Canyons got included, I really think that'd be a gem of a name and identity. Shame there wasn't a scorpions option, so many great things you could do with that logo. And the mascot could be pure, epic, nightmare fuel.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Boston trying to act tough while getting shit kicked?

1715220019855.jpeg

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Glad Canyons got included, I really think that'd be a gem of a name and identity. Shame there wasn't a scorpions option, so many great things you could do with that logo. And the mascot could be pure, epic, nightmare fuel.
I like Outlaws for some reason. I think it’s more of a doesn’t sound awful compared to some of the others choice though. I can’t get with a Yeti from a State that’s got so much desert on it. They’re big on their winter sports but that’s a bridge too far for me.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I like Outlaws for some reason. I think it’s more of a doesn’t sound awful compared to some of the others choice though. I can’t get with a Yeti from a State that’s got so much desert on it. They’re big on their winter sports but that’s a bridge too far for me.
Yea, same here...I mean they do get cold weather, but so do most places in the USA at times...that doesn't automatically mean "Yeti"...especially since that's Himalayan in heritage. I don't really like any of the options. Outlaws maybe? Mammoth I guess could be interesting. Like does Glaciers even make sense there? Mountaineers is honestly too long. Do many Caribou roam Utah?? Like some of these are out of their ass it seems

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yea, same here...I mean they do get cold weather, but so do most places in the USA at times...that doesn't automatically mean "Yeti"...especially since that's Himalayan in heritage. I don't really like any of the options. Outlaws maybe? Mammoth I guess could be interesting. Like does Glaciers even make sense there? Mountaineers is honestly too long. Do many Caribou roam Utah?? Like some of these are out of their ass it seems
Canyons does make sense with Arches, Bryce and Zion but I’m struggling with it as a hockey team name. Glaciers is just dumb, there’s only one in the state.

Outlaws got my vote. Though the salt licks would’ve gotten my vote too.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Not a good look for Edmonton.

Mike Monaco is one of the high points for ESPN’s coverage. Excitement, without being cringey. Good PBP guy.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Canyons does make sense with Arches, Bryce and Zion but I’m struggling with it as a hockey team name. Glaciers is just dumb, there’s only one in the state.
So, if you've ever been to SLC, the city is surrounded by mountains on one side and the lake on the other. And they refer to the mountains as the canyons, because you go up into the canyons between the mountains to ski. There are even city busses to go up into the different canyons so you can go ski for the cost of a city bus fare! Soon to be a tram up into Little Cottonwood Canyon (Alta and Snowbird), even, to relieve traffic and make it possible to get up in to ski even when the road is closed. Sometimes due to avalanches. If you live up on the edge of the mountains you're living 'in the canyons'. Gotta shell out some cash there to do that, though. I'm told the canyons are also a major draw in the summer for things like fishing and hiking, though I've only been there in the winter- for, ya know, the skiing.

It's not just Arches and Zion and whatnot- the canyons around SLC are much more snow covered and are an integral part of the area. And they're central to the winter sports culture there.

This is one of the canyons that are literally right next to the city:

Little-Cottonwood-Canyon-Gondola-Proposal-3_Wasatch_Utah_PC-Wasatch-Backcountry-Alliance.png

Tell me that that doesn't make you think of winter sports.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So, if you've ever been to SLC, the city is surrounded by mountains on one side and the lake on the other. And they refer to the mountains as the canyons, because you go up into the canyons between the mountains to ski. There are even city busses to go up into the different canyons so you can go ski for the cost of a city bus fare! Soon to be a tram up into Little Cottonwood Canyon (Alta and Snowbird), even, to relieve traffic and make it possible to get up in to ski even when the road is closed. Sometimes due to avalanches. If you live up on the edge of the mountains you're living 'in the canyons'. Gotta shell out some cash there to do that, though. I'm told the canyons are also a major draw in the summer for things like fishing and hiking, though I've only been there in the winter- for, ya know, the skiing.

It's not just Arches and Zion and whatnot- the canyons around SLC are much more snow covered and are an integral part of the area. And they're central to the winter sports culture there.

Little-Cottonwood-Canyon-Gondola-Proposal-3_Wasatch_Utah_PC-Wasatch-Backcountry-Alliance.png

Lol most years over the last ten I’ve spent a week or two in an Airbnb somewhere between Sandy and Cottonwood Heights to hang out primarily at Alta/Snowbird as they happen to be my favorite resort(s) on the planet! I did not know the locals refer to the Wasatch as the canyons but that makes sense that they do, as I have driven up both Cottonwood Canyons many times.

Still not my favorite name for a hockey team. :D
Though I’ll respect it if the locals choose it.

Utah may be the most beautiful state in the country.

Last edited:

kickback256

May 1, 2024
Utah
Lol most years over the last ten I’ve spent a week or two in an Airbnb somewhere between Sandy and Cottonwood Heights to hang out primarily at Alta/Snowbird as they happen to be my favorite resort(s) on the planet! I did not know the locals refer to the Wasatch as the canyons but that makes sense that they do, as I have driven up both Cottonwood Canyons many times.

Still not my favorite name for a hockey team. :D
Though I’ll respect it if the locals choose it.

Utah may be the most beautiful state in the country.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Utah is a f***ing WEIRD state, but it’s MY f***ing weird state. Every time I’ve moved away, the landscape’s brought me back. It’s starting to get pretty pricey, but I can make up for that with a twenty minute drive into unspoiled wilderness. I do get a little possessive over the canyons and the national parks.

Plus, if any fellow Canes fans ever get into a pinch out here or need to find something to do, hit me up and I’ll help however I can. Excited to see y’all come into town this year!!

(Edited to add pictures of my former daily commute for nature tax: Deer Creek reservoir, Provo, and Provo Canyon, all within an hour of SLC)

IMG_7168.jpeg
IMG_1400.jpeg
IMG_0555.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3785.jpeg
    IMG_3785.jpeg
    359.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Canyons makes a lot of sense in terms of relation to Utah 100%, it's thematically correct...but as a name for a sports team it's kinda weird. Like "we're the rock arches!!!"

If they CHOOSE Mammoth here's their mascot
1715254949572.png

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

Wow. My nephew is getting married in Zion in September ..when does the snow start normally?

kickback256

May 1, 2024
Utah
Wow. My nephew is getting married in Zion in September ..when does the snow start normally?
He’ll be just fine. Down there it’s much warmer than the Ogden-SLC-Provo metro area, where cptjeff and my pictures are taken from and where the team will play. Very rarely does that part of the state get below 30°F or so, and you’ll only get that cold in December-February. Lucky him! The red rocks are otherworldly. If they weren’t a five-hour drive I’d be there every weekend.

Up here where the big canyons are, the first snow that touches the valley floors hits right at the end of October - but it doesn’t stick on the ground until two weeks later. Usually. Usually the snow clears up on the valley floors by mid April at the latest, though we did just get a freak snowstorm two days ago.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
He’ll be just fine. Down there it’s much warmer than the Ogden-SLC-Provo metro area, where cptjeff and my pictures are taken from and where the team will play. Very rarely does that part of the state get below 30°F or so, and you’ll only get that cold in December-February. Lucky him! The red rocks are otherworldly. If they weren’t a five-hour drive I’d be there every weekend.

Up here where the big canyons are, the first snow that touches the valley floors hits right at the end of October - but it doesn’t stick on the ground until two weeks later. Usually. Usually the snow clears up on the valley floors by mid April at the latest, though we did just get a freak snowstorm two days ago.
Thank you so much for this info! We are going for a week for the wedding and are trying to nail down what day trips or sites to checkout. My elderly parents will be with me so I am not sure as much hiking and exploring will take place as I had hoped but still can't wait to see the area.

Last edited:

kickback256

May 1, 2024
Utah
Thank you so much for this info! We are going for a week for the wedding and are trying to nail down what day trips or sites checkout. My elderly parents will be with me so I am not sure as much hiking and exploring will take place as I had hoped but still can't wait to see the area.
If you want, feel free to shoot me a message and I can weigh in! There’s plenty to do for folks of all ages - Utah prides itself on being family friendly and doesn’t disappoint. Usually. If you can get up to the Brian Head and Cedar Breaks area too (maybe 20-40 miles away), there’s a preponderance of trails and life changing views. Just bring water, sunscreen, more water, hats, and more water. The elevation gets to people fairly quickly.

Last edited:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC

I wonder if they'll draw out the process under the 0.1% chance that Brind'Amour comes to market, or if they act quickly.

The Maple Leafs are a tricky team in that they have tons of talent, but not the right mix for the playoffs. Contrast that to the Canes who are similarly criticized for not having playoff success, but actually have a decent but not great showing year-to-year, and who actually have great defensive structure for the playoffs.

As with everybody, you're judged 100% based on results, and if the Canes were to win the coin-flip OT2 game, we're all the sudden a playoff savvy team who stole home-ice advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad