Around the League 32: Now with NBA discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It’s just the overall irony of the argument. People want to bag on Francis so that is one of their choices, when he did very well as a drafter. Which of course is a reflection of the staff as well, but we choose to remember that when it suits.

Where is this "bagging on Francis" that you mention? Seems you might be reading more into this discussion than is really there. We can discuss good pick and bad picks, as we did with JR before Francis and as I'm sure we'll do with the new regime once we have a read on their picks.

..makes me feel a bit better about the Fleury pick now, that's a rough draft class especially when compared to the years just before and after

Fleury really wasn't a bad pick at #7. He just wasn't the home run that we really needed at that junction in franchise history.

He wasn't a bad pick "at the time", since he was rated by most in the 7-10 range, but he turned out to be a bad pick, which happens.

I still like Fleury's tools as a player. A late breakout is not impossible. Oleksiak was drafted with a mid-1st in 2011 and took the step to Top 4 D just last year, his D+10 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
It’s just the overall irony of the argument. People want to bag on Francis so that is one of their choices, when he did very well as a drafter. Which of course is a reflection of the staff as well, but we choose to remember that when it suits.
The irony of it is its pretty easy to see he had one good 1st round pick and one super star 2nd pick. His drafting looks good because of how bad JR’s was until he got the same staff Francis used to be a good drafter.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The irony of it is its pretty easy to see he had one good 1st round pick and one super star 2nd pick. His drafting looks good because of how bad JR’s was until he got the same staff Francis used to be a good drafter.
JR's drafting included Slavin and Pesce in the late rounds. Which, of course, reflects the fact that, as you said, it was an issue with the scouting staff. GMs are pretty much only responsible for the 1st round pick. The staff largely handles the rest. And Francis's record in the 1st round isn't really anything other than average.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Where is this "bagging on Francis" that you mention? Seems you might be reading more into this discussion than is really there. We can discuss good pick and bad picks, as we did with JR before Francis and as I'm sure we'll do with the new regime once we have a read on their picks.
Are you being serious? It’s been going on since he left? I don’t mean that emotionally, its been obvious for years.

read the posts after yours..

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Truth is the truth. His first round picks were underwhelming and the depth comes from the same squad JR used to finally turn around his awful drafting. Its also some of the same folks DW, with more funding, has been using. If that is bagging then so beat it.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Are you being serious? It’s been going on since he left? I don’t mean that emotionally, its been obvious for years.

read the posts after yours..

I am serious. Nobody brought it up in this thread until you did. The posts after mine were direct response to you bringing up Francis in the first place.

You've been going on about it as long as the people you are complaining about. Time to let it go.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I am serious. Nobody brought it up in this thread until you did. The posts after mine were direct response to you bringing up Francis in the first place.

You've been going on about it as long as the people you are complaining about. Time to let it go.
The whole Fleury was a bad choice by Francis debate has been going in for years and is this is a continuation.

Every single pick he took in the first two rounds is playing a regular role in the nhl right now. Ned and Aho as second round picks are pretty exceptional picks obviously. That is actually a pretty fantastic track record.

Foegele, Walmark, Bishop, Roy, Cotton, Lorentz, Lafontaine, Maki. Sellgren and Drury are really his picks too.

There wasn’t much “average” about that drafting.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
The whole Fleury was a bad choice by Francis debate has been going in for years and is this is a continuation.

Every single pick he took in the first two rounds is playing a regular role in the nhl right now. Ned and Aho as second round picks are pretty exceptional picks obviously. That is actually a pretty fantastic track record.

Foegele, Walmark, Bishop, Roy, Cotton, Lorentz, Lafontaine, Maki. Sellgren and Drury are really his picks too.

Cool JR can just about say the same thing after changing crews. Murphy being the one exception. Wallmark, Bishop, Roy and Lorentz are 4th liners and some aren’t even that. Foegele and the previous 4 are easily replaced in UFA. Cotton and Lafontaine haven’t proven anything. You are reaching at 10 foot arm levels.

Reactions: cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Whatever. The discussion in this thread was all about Fleury NOT being a bad/wrong pick at the time until you jumped in, which prompted responses from others. How can you not see that? If you want use past debates so you can poke other posters, thus causing a response from them, so be it.

Every single pick he took in the first two rounds is playing a regular role in the nhl right now.

Ned and Aho as second round picks are pretty exceptional picks obviously. That is actually a pretty fantastic track record.

I'm not one that said his drafting was bad, so not sure why you are arguing this with me. I fully recognize while some of the 1st round picks were disappointing, there was a lot of his drafting that helped this team the past 3 years, both in players on the team and prospects he drafted traded for the players. I've come to appreciate is drafts more as time as gone on and have frequently stated that the new regime's drafting has been a big unknown to this point. Lots of promise, but we won't know for a while.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Mason Marchment has 6 points tonight, to go along with Lundell’s 5 assists.

I hate to say it, but the Panthers this season remind me a lot of the 05/06 Canes where they acquired a bunch of players from other teams over a couple year period, some that nobody wanted and pretty much every player had an good-great year.

Reinhardt: On pace for career year
Bennett: On pace for career year
Huberdeau: On pace for a career year
Marchment: On pace for a career year
Verhaeghe: On pace for a career year.
Duclair: On pace for a career year.
Ekblad: On pace for a career year.
Barkov: on pace for 2 points below his career year (adjusted to 82 games)
Weegar: on pace for career year
Forsling: Already a career year in 37 games
Montour: on pace for a career year
Luostarinen: Already a career year in 42 games
Lundell: A stud rookie who is killing it in his first season.

That's just bonkers

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I hate to say it, but the Panthers this season remind me a lot of the 05/06 Canes where they acquired a bunch of players from other teams over a couple year period, some that nobody wanted and pretty much every player had an good-great year.

Reinhardt: On pace for career year
Bennett: On pace for career year
Huberdeau: On pace for a career year
Marchment: On pace for a career year
Verhaeghe: On pace for a career year.
Duclair: On pace for a career year.
Ekblad: On pace for a career year.
Barkov: on pace for 2 points below his career year (adjusted to 82 games)
Weever: on pace for career year
Forsling: Already a career year in 37 games
Montour: on pace for a career year
Luostarinen: Already a career year in 42 games
Lundell: A stud rookie who is killing it in his first season.

That's just bonkers
They either will win the cup, or be huge disappointments when it stops working in the playoffs.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Whatever. The discussion in this thread was all about Fleury NOT being a bad/wrong pick at the time until you jumped in, which prompted responses from others. How can you not see that? If you want use past debates so you can poke other posters, thus causing a response from them, so be it.

I'm not one that said his drafting was bad, so not sure why you are arguing this with me. I fully recognize while some of the 1st round picks were disappointing, there was a lot of his drafting that helped this team the past 3 years, both in players on the team and prospects he drafted traded for the players. I've come to appreciate is drafts more as time as gone on and have frequently stated that the new regime's drafting has been a big unknown to this point. Lots of promise, but we won't know for a while.

Oh I wasn’t debating with you specifically for all of it. Maybe even none of it lol, I know the others who were opining were reading and I didn’t want to make specific posts to all of them. Didn’t have that kind of typing energy in me. Others said his drafting was average when it wasn’t, and it’s clear this team is built on much of what he left behind through drafts, contracts and yes....even trades.

Early on many were stating the obvious about the foundation laid after he was gone but the further we get the more it’s chipped away till we have posts here that diminish the team building done then to very little. I’m always going to reply to those. That’s obviously more to others than you.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's got to be frustrating for Toronto. Boston declines, as expected. However, Florida seemingly comes out of nowhere to takes its place in the Atlantic Division pecking order. The Leafs will be going into their 6th playoff as underdogs to get out of the 1st round again, and it has little to do with a choker label.

Timing is an important of winning at the highest level in the NHL. Toronto's has not been great.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It's got to be frustrating for Toronto. Boston declines, as expected. However, Florida seemingly comes out of nowhere to takes its place in the Atlantic Division pecking order. The Leafs will be going into their 6th playoff as underdogs to get out of the 1st round again, and it has little to do with a choker label.

Timing is an important of winning at the highest level in the NHL. Toronto's has not been great.
I think Florida is great but we may be better built for the playoffs. I think our goaltending is more consistent and we can play a grind game maybe better than them. If our d is healthy I’d still take it over theirs.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
It seems no team is going to help us by beating our nearest rivals in the standings consistently…. So if we have eyes on being the top seed in our division and the eastern conference we have to keep up and keep on winning, which gets tougher in the second half given our strength of schedule…. Hopefully guys use this break to rest up and come back stronger post ASG…..

Reactions: VAcaniac

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Ronnie was my childhood hockey hero but the fact that he hired Jason Botulism as his assistant after he was a historically terrible and incompetent GM at the level of guys like EJ, Millbury and Chia suggests he has incredibly poor judgement

Reactions: cptjeff

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

They haven’t played them 8 damn times last years. I kinda cheer for Cats to get that 1st playoff win in cap era. Just to rub it into Toronto’s wound. And because they made Tampa work for it the most last year.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I don’t watch All-Star anyways and I guess my bias is getting to me. These 2 new outdoor games in Vegas sound extra dumb.

putting players on platforms on the water in front of the bellagio to shoot at targets also in the water? If they miss the puck sinks in the water. Ooooooo

On the street players shoot at oversized cards to get the closest to 21? Hit me, like knock me out because I don’t want to be conscious to see this crap.

Last edited:
Reactions: VAcaniac and DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad