Around the League - 2023 Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Said it in the other thread, hope the coaches hired this year aren't the same ones just recycled.. bring back Roy

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Hire one of the best Euro coaches already. Every season worse coaches are recycled time and time again while some excellent ones overseas get nothing. It's kinda like the Euro's are soft and can't survive agenda back in the day, only on coaches.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hire one of the best Euro coaches already. Every season worse coaches are recycled time and time again while some excellent ones overseas get nothing. It's kinda like the Euro's are soft and can't survive agenda back in the day, only on coaches.
There will eventually be a European coach that is hired, but the reservation is less on the coaches being European as it is tactically. The game is played different on small ice. Teams don't want to take a risk on a guy whose tactics may not work as well on small ice. They'll need to cut their teeth at a lower level or as an assistant first. Sturm in Ontario having mixed results isn't helping. Guys like Jalonen and Gronborg are not going to want to start from the AHL or assistant ranks... which makes it risky to an industry that is risk averse.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
There will eventually be a European coach that is hired, but the reservation is less on the coaches being European as it is tactically. The game is played different on small ice. Teams don't want to take a risk on a guy whose tactics may not work as well on small ice. They'll need to cut their teeth at a lower level or as an assistant first. Sturm in Ontario having mixed results isn't helping. Guys like Jalonen and Gronborg are not going to want to start from the AHL or assistant ranks... which makes it risky to an industry that is risk averse.
I say it's riskier to hire an inept North American coach than it is to get Jalonen for example. Teams just don't have the balls to do it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Said it in the other thread, hope the coaches hired this year aren't the same ones just recycled.. bring back Roy
I’m perfectly fine with other teams doing the same stupid things over and over again. I just don’t want the Avs to do it.

Roy wants a level of managerial control no one is willing to give him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I say it's riskier to hire an inept North American coach than it is to get Jalonen for example. Teams just don't have the balls to do it.
It really isn't.... look at the retreads in last year's cycle:

Monty - best regular season in history (disappointing playoffs obviously)
Cassidy - Pacific division champs, in a fight for a move to the conference finals
Maurice - playoffs, and in the midst of their best playoff run since 95-96
DeBoer - turned a non-playoff team into one that has a legit chance at a Cup
Torts - TBD... thought I'd say Philly outperformed expectations this year
Bowness - got them to the playoffs, but are the issues his or leftovers from Maurice? TBD
Quinn - IMO clear failure, but I think he sucks as a coach

So ~4/7 success... maybe arguably 5/7. Over 50% success rate though.

Now the new names:

Lalonde - TBD, but Detroit has looked to take strides
Woodcroft - Success IMO
Richardson - Failure IMO
MSL - TBD leaning to failure as a coach, individuals took some strides
Lambert - what's new is old? Worse than Trotz IMO, but team was in the murky middle.

1/5 is a success... that might get to 2/5 or 3/5 in time, but a big IF. The previous cycle is much the same story.

Teams go with re-treads because they work. Gallant will almost always give you a great first season (somewhere in years 2-4 it will fall apart). Maurice is great at getting his team to a playoff level and holding that. Ruff has a system that will almost always get a team to a high level of play (not typically enough to get a Cup though). DeBoer will get the most out of a team and his system is difficult to play against, he works his players to death though. Sullivan was a retread that got the absolute most out of the late prime Penguins.

Saying that, new blood typically has a longer lifespan if they make it past the first 2 seasons.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
It really isn't.... look at the retreads in last year's cycle:

Monty - best regular season in history (disappointing playoffs obviously)
Cassidy - Pacific division champs, in a fight for a move to the conference finals
Maurice - playoffs, and in the midst of their best playoff run since 95-96
DeBoer - turned a non-playoff team into one that has a legit chance at a Cup
Torts - TBD... thought I'd say Philly outperformed expectations this year
Bowness - got them to the playoffs, but are the issues his or leftovers from Maurice? TBD
Quinn - IMO clear failure, but I think he sucks as a coach

So ~4/7 success... maybe arguably 5/7. Over 50% success rate though.

Now the new names:

Lalonde - TBD, but Detroit has looked to take strides
Woodcroft - Success IMO
Richardson - Failure IMO
MSL - TBD leaning to failure as a coach, individuals took some strides
Lambert - what's new is old? Worse than Trotz IMO, but team was in the murky middle.

1/5 is a success... that might get to 2/5 or 3/5 in time, but a big IF. The previous cycle is much the same story.

Teams go with re-treads because they work. Gallant will almost always give you a great first season (somewhere in years 2-4 it will fall apart). Maurice is great at getting his team to a playoff level and holding that. Ruff has a system that will almost always get a team to a high level of play (not typically enough to get a Cup though). DeBoer will get the most out of a team and his system is difficult to play against, he works his players to death though. Sullivan was a retread that got the absolute most out of the late prime Penguins.

Saying that, new blood typically has a longer lifespan if they make it past the first 2 seasons.
Jalonen would be one of the better coaches in the league imo. Certainly much more deserving of the chance than someone like MSL who barely even had coaching experience. He won't get the opportunity though.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Jalonen would be one of the better coaches in the league imo. Certainly much more deserving of the chance than someone like MSL who barely even had coaching experience. He won't get the opportunity though.
There is a decent chance he might be, but there is a risk his system, tactics, and methods of dealing with players doesn't click and it blows up. There is just a lot of unknown and risk there... whereas hiring Q, you know what you're going to get and odds are he gets you in the playoffs with upside (you just have to get Gary on board).

Frankly, Krueger set back the whole idea of European coaches back a number of years. I know he's Canadian by birth... but his hockey (and soccer) life and coaching has mainly been European. His tactics were a major failure for all to see, and until somebody takes the risk and it succeeds, the floodgates won't open.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There is a decent chance he might be, but there is a risk his system, tactics, and methods of dealing with players doesn't click and it blows up. There is just a lot of unknown and risk there... whereas hiring Q, you know what you're going to get and odds are he gets you in the playoffs with upside (you just have to get Gary on board).

Frankly, Krueger set back the whole idea of European coaches back a number of years. I know he's Canadian by birth... but his hockey (and soccer) life and coaching has mainly been European. His tactics were a major failure for all to see, and until somebody takes the risk and it succeeds, the floodgates won't open.

Man I certainly HOPE guys like Jalonen and Gronborg aren't like Krueger. Ol' Ralph makes even Guy Bouchard look like Quenneville. Choked the life out of the game at every level, including the World Cup where he really started to make a name for himself.

And yeah, retreads wouldn't get retreaded unless it worked. No doubt Peter Laviolette knows he's getting another shot somewhere, that's why he bailed on Washington before they had a chance to fire him. And when the day comes for Jared Bednar to leave Colorado, he'll get a few gigs himself. It isn't until they crash and burn a few times that the offers finally dry up and/or the failure is pretty high-profile. Ron Wilson, who bounced around the league like a damn pinball, never got another sniff at an NHL job after falling out with Burke and getting axed in Toronto. Randy Carlyle, who may go down in history as the very worst coach to win a Stanley Cup, had a disastrous stint in Toronto. He limped back to Anaheim for a time but IMO the damage was done. I'd be very shocked if either ever got another shot. Both guys are 67 I believe so that as much as anything might have something to do with it...they can't all be Bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad