GDT: Around the League 2023-24: The Marathon Becomes A Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Vancouver vs. Nashville has to be the single shittiest spot of playoff hockey I have ever seen in my entire damn life.

Hellebuyck just hasn't come up with any key stops at any point in this series.

Goaltending is unknowable, I'm convinced.

The only reason they're in the playoffs is because Hellebuyck decided he wasn't going to allow any goals for two months straight. Now he can't make a save.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
What a shitty reffing job to even think that was a major penalty. Strictly due to it being one of the Av stars.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I could see the Avs making short work of Dallas/Vegas too. When we make it to 3rd round we better have our Defence completely dialed in. And our offence needs to be able to fight fire with fire. If they make Helly look this silly they’ll make any goalie look silly.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Colorado is very good. Goaltending is perhaps questionable but otherwise they are strong all through the lineup. It would take a very solid defensive effort to beat them.

Reactions: Porkleaker

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Jet's players when they go to the room and notice Sean Monahan

large

Johnny and Sean really belong together. Hope he can find his way to Columbus.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I could see the Avs making short work of Dallas/Vegas too. When we make it to 3rd round we better have our Defence completely dialed in. And our offence needs to be able to fight fire with fire. If they make Helly look this silly they’ll make any goalie look silly.
If it’s Dallas, I think they beat the Avs. Better forward depth, better D and a better goalie. But the Avs have the star players.

Reactions: McSpecial DraiBlend

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Helly is probably better than Skinner. But I take Skinner at 2.6M vs Helly at 8.5M all f***in day long.

If it’s Dallas, I think they beat the Avs. Better forward depth, better D and a better goalie. But the Avs have the star players.
I don’t think the Stars have the killer instinct that the Avs have. The top end of Dallas and leadership (Benn/Seguin) is where they are weak.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Helly is probably better than Skinner. But I take Skinner at 2.6M vs Helly at 8.5M all f***in day long.

I don’t think the Stars have the killer instinct that the Avs have. The top end of Dallas and leadership (Benn/Seguin) is where they are weak.
I hope we get to find out. ;)

Reactions: TheNumber4

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Looks like Vegas and Dallas will be fighting to be the next team dismantled by the Avs. I don't see either of them doing better than the Jets have

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Lol Jesus Christ. Calls are overturned 69% of the time. That’s with benefit of video review on only reviewable calls. Imagine how much shit the refs get wrong every single game that never goes to review.

Best refs in the world my ass. I’m tired of that narrative. If this is the best we got, it’s not good enough.

The one thing I'll say about NHL refs is, they really aren't paying enough to get the quality of refs you'd expect. Salary range is only 165k to 250k, and honestly, given the difficulty of the job, the pressure, the hundreds of nut bars personally invested in your every whim, there is no way I'd do it for that price.

Hell just think about how after every playoff game how many people get jumped in every city in the league for just wearing the other teams colors. Now imagine you have to be the guy making the decision on if a goal counts, if something's a penalty, etc and what some of those nutbars (look at that Vegas fans in Dallas this year for example, or that crazy Kings Lady and Cecily last year) who nearly killed a guy for looking the other team but not actually being involved would do if they caught you after you "screwed their team."

Honestly, 165k doesn't go very far now a days. And then you consider that these guys are traveling for 200 days of the year, worse than players.

No wonder all of the refs are primadonnas that want to be the star. Why the f*** else would you do the job? Develop the niche skills to skate at the NHL level? Put your normal life and plans at jeopardy? Hard to maintain a relationship let alone say raise kids when you're gone more days than you're there. They aren't doing it for the money, it's barely above normal white / blue collar work. You can pull more than that easily without the strict skillset in the oil patch if you put in the work, or almost any degree with similar levels of success compared to being an NHL level ref.

And no wonder the league can't create accountability among its refs. Can't otherwise they'd just not have any friggen refs. Lol. They should be paying these guys 5x as much, it really would fix everything almost instantly. Makes it so you could retire after a couple of years, makes it worth it. Also makes it something you can aspire to and something worth taking on the accountability of day a post game press conference. And the entire cost would only be like 20 million per year total - Same as the cap moving up 312k if you consider that there's say 20 NHL refs & 40 NHL linesmen, and then 32 teams with each player splitting things to be 64.

I'm sure every team in the league would pay 300k to fix the reffing NBA style. It's peanuts in terms of the league's overall budget. It's just a matter of the league having the will to fix it.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Lowry is the only Jet who would even contemplate throwing a hit. Not much of a playoff team, lucky they even won a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad