Around the League - 2022 offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
BTW I must have missed the news about Bettman apparently having COVID so I was surprised when I saw the ceremony this morning and had to go back through the OOT scoreboard to see why, did the NHL keep that little nugget under lock and key? It was pretty transparent when we got told Silver had COVID during the NBA Finals.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
BTW I must have missed the news about Bettman apparently having COVID so I was surprised when I saw the ceremony this morning and had to go back through the OOT scoreboard to see why, did the NHL keep that little nugget under lock and key? It was pretty transparent when we got told Silver had COVID during the NBA Finals.
Surprised they didn't just label it as an "upper body" injury.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
74419255-383F-4D68-B287-14B71E5F8338.jpeg

Pie charts: 1
“Everyone in the hockey world”: 0

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Disagree with Makar winning the Con Smythe. I think I should have been MacKinnon. Take one or the other of them away from the club and I think it's MacKinnon who's most irreplaceable in this playoff run. Plus he's earned it for the long time labor in the salt mines there.

I think either would have been a sensible choice. But Makar did have more points and sometimes it's hard to get past that, as simplistic as it may seem.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I enjoyed MacKinnon's interview right after. He sounded very humble and it was very calm. Not all ''WWOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!'', which those are cool too, but interesting to get a different perspective from that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And there it is....

Was just talking 10 minutes ago about how I've been expecting Alfredsson since his first year eligibility, but after 5 years of eligibility, he hasn't gotten in yet.

And I didn't even know they were announcing the 2022 inductees today.

Glad to see Luongo go in during his first year of eligibility. I've always argued he should be in and thought he'd eventually get in, but was very skeptical he'd be a first ballot hall of famer.

Lundqvist will definitely be class of 2023.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
And there it is....

Was just talking 10 minutes ago about how I've been expecting Alfredsson since his first year eligibility, but after 5 years of eligibility, he hasn't gotten in yet.

And I didn't even know they were announcing the 2022 inductees today.

Glad to see Luongo go in during his first year of eligibility. I've always argued he should be in and thought he'd eventually get in, but was very skeptical he'd be a first ballot hall of famer.

Lundqvist will definitely be class of 2023.
You think Elias gets in next year?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Very satisfied with this class.

I'm glad to see there's no surprises with yet another questionable former Canadiens/Oilers player that shouldn't be in the HOF.

I was seriously gonna start looking at some of the 80's (or even 70's or prior for the Canadiens) Canadiens and Oilers rosters for guys that aren't in the HOF to try and guess the potential WTF induction. I figure Dave Semenko or Dave Hunter might potentially be next. It seems like they just might induct everybody from the 80's Oilers, especially the more years/cup years they played there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You think Elias gets in next year?
Hmmm....

I don't think so, I don't think next year, but I do give it a significantly better than 50% chance that he gets in eventually and within the next 10 years and still better than 50% that he gets in within the next 5 years.

You figure that Alfredsson last played 2 years before Patty did. Not sure if that's a good enough barometer to use to assume maybe Elias is the class of 2024 or not.

The Sedin's were eligible last year, but with all the covid stuff and not even having an HOF ceremony for 2020 (the 2020 inductees went in last year with the 2021 inductees I think) maybe they got backlogged a year?

Reactions: Devs3cups

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
prob doesn't matter much since it's so specific, but the chiclets comment section has a ton of people crying out how patty got snubbed

I enjoyed MacKinnon's interview right after. He sounded very humble and it was very calm. Not all ''WWOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!'', which those are cool too, but interesting to get a different perspective from that.
didn't even seem out of breathe!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Turning Clarkson into a 30 goal scorer is enough for first ballot in my opinion.
I think several guys had career years because of him.

I hope I'm wrong and he does get in next year, it wouldn't be a complete shocker, but I think we're gonna have to wait just a little bit longer.

At the same time, I'm actually more confident he gets in now than I was 5 years ago.

Marian Hossa (who average literally just like 3 more points per 82 games than Elias did) got in his first year of eligibility. He's got one more cup than Elias, but that's about it.

He was the first really good player to retire from those 3 time cup winning Hawks teams.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Elias could have put up way higher point totals if he was a greedy bugger and disnt commit to doig whatever it took for the betterment of his team and focused just on scoring. Hopefully HOF voters understand that.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Disagree with Makar winning the Con Smythe. I think I should have been MacKinnon. Take one or the other of them away from the club and I think it's MacKinnon who's most irreplaceable in this playoff run. Plus he's earned it for the long time labor in the salt mines there.
Hard to deny a Dman when he leads his team in scoring by 4 points on the way to the Cup... 5 points over MacKinnon.

29 points in 20 games is pretty incredible.

Like a Brian Leetch situation over Messier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad