Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not great markets.
Agree on atmosphere
Broadcast huh???
Large fan base - totally disagree. Vegas, it’s a destination. I would love to see the % of tickets for visiting team in Vegas.
Yes, warm cities. Awesome. Some - Tax free too.
what the heck is a good market if Vegas isn’t?

Tampa is also great. I have a place down there and I’ve watched it grow.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Means nothing finishing second. A few yrs from now and no one remembers second place. Salary cap changes teams yr to yr.

Win it all …..if not it’s all the same.
No one cares about who won the most rounds in the last decade.

They just remember the champions

Please soon to be HOF and 3 cup champion wear a hotdog costume in TO and mock the media there

Good to see Vegas win and score all those goals and good to see whiner boy out of the game from a crosscheck. Karma ….and Gudas was horrendous against Vegas

Reactions: saffronleaf

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Panthers were treated like a dirty hot-headed team in every series except round 2. I wonder what the difference was?

Obviously the Leafs screwed themselves, but yeah, someone in this organization needs to address this and hopefully Treliving will be more successful in that regard than Dubas. Because every single year it is the same: teams can do whatever they want to the Leafs in the playoffs and the whistles just disappear.

I do not know if it blatant bias or officials are afraid to make a call in the Toronto spotlight or what the problem is but it is not just that the Leafs don't know how to play "playoff hockey." Because, yes, we have shortcomings in that regard but other series aren't being called like this.

(Also when we do push back, we get slapped down for it. Pretty sure that Bunting had the longest suspension of these playoffs. At least Kadri had a history before his suspensions, so you could sort of justify the harsher punishment, but Bunting didn't even have a fine to his record).

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
A hockey market is a market that thrives after 6 seasons without playoffs.

Vegas hasn't proven poop.
The NHL really needs Philly and Buffalo back in the playoffs. Buffalo is close but Philly still seems is a long way off.

I mean, the Leafs beat themselves (Game 3 lol), so no excuses... but it also hard not to notice this pattern every single year.

Pretty sure Bunting had the longest suspension of these playoffs too.
They need to fix that. I remember Bobby Mac saying it’s because they don’t go to the areas where penalties are drawn, and that’s still somewhat the case but I think their lack of foot speed is a bigger contributor now.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Honestly it’s like they play to prove Berger and the rest of the media wrong more than they play to max their chances of winning.

“They’re too soft”
They start running around getting suspended

“The defense can’t defend”
They play offense scared and start losing 2-1 goalie duels instead

“They can’t score playoff goals”
Most of the offense is now designed around one of Tavares and Matthews deflecting shots and digging for pucks in front of the net.

You can’t have a coherent identity if your identity is proving someone wrong or being the opposite of something, they need to pick positive values and ideals and commit to them regardless of what outside pressure is telling them to do.

That is why I got upset as soon as they started bringing up "killer instinct". That led to bringing in a bunch of underwhelming vets and physical guys meant to bring "character" only for them to be underwhelming players on the ice that simply could not be trusted.

And then the same thing about not paying big for rentals. It was a good idea because paying big for rentals almost never pays off (and I say this after ROR and Gio actually provided pretty good value as big rentals and we ended up keeping Gio around on a reasonable deal).

We tried so hard to emulate other teams that we just ended up being cheap copies of them. Like it is good that you try to learn from other successful teams, but ultimately we are not going to win the same way.

It is kind of funny that a lot of the things that Dubas "learned" from experience were arguably some of his worst decisions when had he stayed the course and kept building on skill, we maybe would have had some better teams. I still think he built really good teams that should have done much better than they did, but that always seemed cringey to me.

We'll see what Treliving does, but let's just hope he doesn't try to copy Calgary... Because that didn't exactly work out too well.

Maybe Phil needs to come back and hopefully he can rub his winning ways to the other boys.

He wouldn't come back for the media (and possibly the fans) alone. Probably has no problem with the city and the team.

Reactions: htpwn

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Phil!

Cold as ice, as always. Got to love the guy

You love to see it!

stormcastle-hotdog-sandwich-dance.gif

(Congrats also to former Leafs legend Michael Amadio).

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I will say, it's a miracle Mark Stone was ready for game 1 of the playoffs and just led his team to the cup

Vegas is so lucky that he was suddenly able to go once the playoffs started and his cap hit didn't count. So lucky you can almost say it was planned

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
They need to fix that. I remember Bobby Mac saying it’s because they don’t go to the areas where penalties are drawn, and that’s still somewhat the case but I think their lack of foot speed is a bigger contributor now.

That's bs excuse for bias officiating...i'm sure the takedown on Knies by Bennett should at least have been roughing, and the flying elbow by Tkachuk on Knies' head is also a penalty and a play worthy at least of a fine.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That is why I got upset as soon as they started bringing up "killer instinct". That led to bringing in a bunch of underwhelming vets and physical guys meant to bring "character" only for them to be underwhelming players on the ice that simply could not be trusted.

And then the same thing about not paying big for rentals. It was a good idea because paying big for rentals almost never pays off (and I say this after ROR and Gio actually provided pretty good value as big rentals and we ended up keeping Gio around on a reasonable deal).

We tried so hard to emulate other teams that we just ended up being cheap copies of them. Like it is good that you try to learn from other successful teams, but ultimately we are not going to win the same way.

It is kind of funny that a lot of the things that Dubas "learned" from experience were arguably some of his worst decisions when had he stayed the course and kept building on skill, we maybe would have had some better teams. I still think he built really good teams that should have done much better than they did, but that always seemed cringey to me.

We'll see what Treliving does, but let's just hope he doesn't try to copy Calgary... Because that didn't exactly work out too well.

He wouldn't come back for the media (and possibly the fans) alone. Probably has no problem with the city and the team.
He will only come back to troll the medias but not as a Leafs more as an ex Leafs.

Funny how Lou, Shanny, Dubas and Babs thought Phil will be a bad influence but Marleau will be a good influence for the kids. Years later, Marleau is Cupless and only made it to One finals(I think), while Phil got Three Cups in Three Finals and played a huge role in two of the Cups.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I will say, it's a miracle Mark Stone was ready for game 1 of the playoffs and just led his team to the cup

Vegas is so lucky that he was suddenly able to go once the playoffs started and his cap hit didn't count. So lucky you can almost say it was planned
If any teams can have one of their top 2 players on LTIR and still win the division and the conf. They deserve to have guys just for playoffs.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Stone has always been known for his competitiveness. I recall reading that Patriots number one quality they look for in a player is competiteness (or something to that effect).

Marner, Tavares, Nylander, might be have the least amount of compete in them among active players. They don't get angry about being down, they don't get angry if they get pushed around, they don't get angry if they punched in the face.....Matthews I think shows passion and compete at times. So I give him a pass.

What really are the odds of these guys winning anything while eating such a significant portion of the cup? The sad part is that we keep trying to add "leadership" to a team with three 11 million dollar players

Dubas is an idiot...that's why the team is built the way it's built...he thinks NHL hockey is a gentlemen's game where all you need to win is have a bunch of skilled players, like chess or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad