NHL Around the League: 2021 Regular Season III - Canucks Ravaged by Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Now let's hold the less-than-beer-league level officiating to the same standard. They saw Wilson running around head hunting before the hit, they saw it happen right before their eyes, and they watched replays; yet saw nothing wrong.

That to me is as big an issue as the obviously predatory hits, as it enables them.

As for Laviolette, I get that he's towing the company line; but if all facets of the league - players, owners, coaches - are serious about player safety, one of them will someday have to be strong enough to call out his own. Remember Mike Gillis saying Nathan Horton was admiring his pass after Aaron Rome nearly decapitated him?

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
You know what they should do, Wilson suspended 5 NHL, but as well as the next 7 games against the Bruins. Haven't looked at the schedule, but I imagine he'll be back to play the Bruins later in the season for more schenanigans.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Watching the Vegas/SJ game. At intermission everyone agreed Wilson should have gotten much more for his hit on Carlo, pointing out the viciousness of it combined with Wilson's history. Definitely agree. 7 games is a complete joke, and it teaches Wilson very little. The NHL enables pukes like Wilson. How many damn times is this shithead going to be allowed to pull his shenanigans? Obviously the answer is that he gets unlimited opportunities.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Stolen from the main board:

50pgea.jpg

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I had to tweet player safety...figured this would fit right in...

“Total BS. There wasn’t any head contact at all. Not only that, he never even hit Carlo. Wilson was just trying to simultaneously steal the puck and shoot it, so even if there was contact, which there wasn’t, it would be legal anyway. Wilson should be nominated for Lady Byng.”

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I thought Wilson should have received at least 10 games. Allowing for the fact that in a shortened season 7 is the equivalent of 10, well, now I've digested it I'm still not happy with that. It's not terrible, but it's not enough for a clearly predatory action.

But it's Laviolette I've really lost respect for in this whole mess. It's one thing to support your player and not incriminate him - that's only to be expected by the coach. But he went well beyond that in deliberately mischaracterizing the hit, dehumanizing Carlo as just 'the player' and showing no genuine concern for his health, and pulling out the old, absurd 'if that's illegal they may as well abolish hitting' line. Shameful.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
What a joke, 7 games for a serial predator, Wilson will continue doing this as he has very little to fear from the refs or DOPS. The only way this is going to end is if teams start targetting the likes of Carlson, Backstrom, etc and let it be known that until Wilson tones down his act, their star players will face the ramifications of Wilson's actions.

aguineapig

The standard throwaway line that's heard is the old "Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt". But I do not believe that's true in all cases. And maybe it's that nobody wants to see anyone get hurt but some don't care if they do as in Wilson's case. So I'm leaning towards the latter and the only way to deter a predator is with a Predator. And that would be Borowiecki. Mojo forgave Marchand for his elbow suppose I could do they same for Boro. Yeah he's got a year left after this a 2 mil, start a Go Fund Me then for Jacobs. Dress him only when the Caps are on the calendar if need be. An eye for an eye, or elbow for an elbow. If that's what it takes so be it.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I thought Wilson should have received at least 10 games. Allowing for the fact that in a shortened season 7 is the equivalent of 10, well, now I've digested it I'm still not happy with that. It's not terrible, but it's not enough for a clearly predatory action.

But it's Laviolette I've really lost respect for in this whole mess. It's one thing to support your player and not incriminate him - that's only to be expected by the coach. But he went well beyond that in deliberately mischaracterizing the hit, dehumanizing Carlo as just 'the player' and showing no genuine concern for his health, and pulling out the old, absurd 'if that's illegal they may as well abolish hitting' line. Shameful.

There's the money lost in the suspension as well. Because it's a shortened season, Wilson loses just over $311K in wages.

If this had been a full 82 game season and he got a 10 game suspension, Wilson would lose just over $277K in wages.

Just the fine nuances of how the cap works in this shortened season and I am 100% certain that the NHLPA didn't argue that it wasn't suspension worthy, but used the argument of the cap workings to get it down to 7 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad