Around The League - 2021 offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Last year statistically. But Jones had gone MIA. And take Nurse away from McDavid and Draisaitl and he’s not even Severson.

Even the year before last they were probably comparable. Jones had already fallen off from being a top end guy to more of a middle of the pack riding off of reputation

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I didn't forget anything and has nothing to do with Lou, it's just funny how you talk trash about NYI when your own team sucks badly for so long. Also this team was good to very good for 20+ years under him, everyone knew that like you said he striped this team to naked - which happens when you have success for so long even if he missed a chance to start a rebuild earlier. But with so many top 10 picks in last 6, 7 years this team should be much better.

Gotcha so having top 10 picks we should be better then we are now. But Lou drafting like shit for 15 years is ok because he put together a great core and rode them til the end gotcha.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Wrong.

The rebuild started in the summer of 2015. Here are the draft positions since then:

2015- 6th (This was clearly still a Lou draft)
2016- 12th
2017- 1st
2018- 17th
2019- 1st
2020- 7th
2021- 4th

so thats 5 top 10 picks since the rebuild started....one of those was made by Lou and two of those were made within the past 10 months so expecting them to be in the NHL let alone be key parts of the team is insane.
How was 2015 a “Lou draft” when Shero was GM? Yes, Shero didn’t bring Castron until July but it’s not like he fired every single scout and trading down and getting Blackwood was Shero’s idea.

I mentioned his age because, not to be ageist or anything but 78 is kind of real old. Once the team is settled in the new arena after next season they need to start thinking about Lou’s replacement. People complained about Rutherford’s age and he’s 72 and people complain about Poile and he’s 71. (I do have trouble with whatever unknown foreign object is sitting on Poile’s head but that’s more of an aesthetic issue.)

These Lou vs Shero arguments are so weird. Lou is definitely a bit too cavalier with his cap spending and future assets for my liking. He’s handing out some ticking time bomb contracts. He’s still excellent at team building, wildly respected around the league and hires really good people. I’m genuinely curious how the successor thing gets handled, he was 72 years old when Shero was made GM and HBS attempted to kick Lou upstairs. He might be in a different frame of mind as he approaches 80. He wasn’t leaving the Islanders until they got into the new arena but I don’t how long after that he’ll keep going. I realize some people have the idea of he’ll be a GM until he’s fired or drops dead but I don’t know about that. I actually think the Islanders lured him in with 1) complete control 2) a gig for his son

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
How was 2015 a “Lou draft” when Shero was GM? Yes, Shero didn’t bring Castron until July but it’s not like he fired every single scout and trading down and getting Blackwood was Shero’s idea.

I mentioned his age because, not to be ageist or anything but 78 is kind of real old. Once the team is settled in the new arena after next season they need to start thinking about Lou’s replacement. People complained about Rutherford’s age and he’s 72 and people complain about Poile and he’s 71. (I do have trouble with whatever unknown foreign object is sitting on Poile’s head but that’s more of an aesthetic issue.)

These Lou vs Shero arguments are so weird. Lou is definitely a bit too cavalier with his cap spending and future assets for my liking. He’s handing out some ticking time bomb contracts. He’s still excellent at team building, wildly respected around the league and hires really good people. I’m genuinely curious how the successor thing gets handled, he was 72 years old when Shero was made GM and HBS attempted to kick Lou upstairs. He might be in a different frame of mind as he approaches 80. He wasn’t leaving the Islanders until they got into the new arena but I don’t how long after that he’ll keep going. I realize some people have the idea of he’ll be a GM until he’s fired or drops dead but I don’t know about that. I actually think the Islanders lured him in with 1) complete control 2) a gig for his son

Lou definitely ran the draft in 2015....go and watch all the draft videos from that year, it was pretty clear who was calling the shots. Shero was on the job for like a month by the time the draft rolled around, it would have been irresponsible to let him run it.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Ryan Murray to Avs.

Avs out on Tatar, let's go Fitzy...
Not sure what the Islanders are going to do with their LD then. Pelech, Greene and, Uh,… the other Sebastian Aho…

When there wasn’t any news in about Murray I assumed he was abducted by Lou and put in a deep freeze with other mystery UFAs.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Lou definitely ran the draft in 2015....go and watch all the draft videos from that year, it was pretty clear who was calling the shots. Shero was on the job for like a month by the time the draft rolled around, it would have been irresponsible to let him run it.

Yeah it was 100% a lou draft still.

Reactions: Billdo

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Phil is washed up and can't do anything besides score. And by score I mean eating hot dogs.
Kessel doesn’t play defense at all and is slow as f***. Toronto basically just lived with his negative goal differential.

Mike Sullivan knew how to use him while maintaining strong team defense. He stopped using him on Malkin’s line and he often sheltered him like a wounded baby bird on third line with scrubs, only occasionally letting him play with Malkin and mainly let him destroy people on mismatches and the PP.

That stopped working as well after two years because they lost Nick Bonino. It was shakier in 2017-18 because the Penguins had depth issues (Riley Sheahan is bad at hockey) so he had to play with Malkin more and was exposed more but got close to the original success with whatever random scrubs were around in 2018-19 (probably Aston-Reese).

The problem is we aren’t a veteran team with a strong team defense and some strong defensive forwards who can be put on Phil babysitting duty. We had a place to put Gusev, but there’s no equivalent of Zajac/Coleman checking line now. He can’t play on either top two lines, he’s so much of a defensive liability that his goal-scoring isn’t likely worth much. He also would likely drive everyone on this board bonkers.

The other part is cost. He’s only costing the Coyotes 1m in salary, they already paid him his 5m signing bonus, so they aren’t going to eager to dump him. He has 8 team trade list too, which isn’t much so there’s that.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
didn't we do this with the Talking Heads once before? !!!
Lost my shape
trying to act casual !
(the lyrics to this song could make about 4 songs in total)
Crosseyed and Painless is probably my fave from them, nice choice!

It’s my favorite Heads tune and that Rome version with Belew was among the best live videos I’ve ever seen. One of those rare recordings where the energy actually comes through the screen to me. Maybe next time I’ll post Life During Wartime.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Kessel doesn’t play defense at all and is slow as f***. Toronto basically just lived with his negative goal differential.

Mike Sullivan knew how to use him while maintaining strong team defense. He stopped using him on Malkin’s line and he often sheltered him like a wounded baby bird on third line with scrubs, only occasionally letting him play with Malkin and mainly let him destroy people on mismatches and the PP.

That stopped working as well after two years because they lost Nick Bonino. It was shakier in 2017-18 because the Penguins had depth issues (Riley Sheahan is bad at hockey) so he had to play with Malkin more and was exposed more but got close to the original success with whatever random scrubs were around in 2018-19 (probably Aston-Reese).

The problem is we aren’t a veteran team with a strong team defense and some strong defensive forwards who can be put on Phil babysitting duty. We had a place to put Gusev, but there’s no equivalent of Zajac/Coleman checking line now. He can’t play on either top two lines, he’s so much of a defensive liability that his goal-scoring isn’t likely worth much. He also would likely drive everyone on this board bonkers.

The other part is cost. He’s only costing the Coyotes 1m in salary, they already paid him his 5m signing bonus, so they aren’t going to eager to dump him. He has 8 team trade list too, which isn’t much so there’s that.

Isn’t Mike Sullivan the guy from Monsters Inc?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Moreso it was a "Conte draft" than a Lou draft. It's not unusual to see new GMs get hired a month before the draft and they don't necessarily have a ton of input unless their previous job had them following junior prospects. But even in those cases, sometimes they're not allowed to be with the new team for the draft. We saw Arizona hire Bill Armstrong from the Blues right before the 2020 Draft and that was conditional on Armstrong sitting out the draft for the Coyotes which led to the Mitch Miller debacle. Calgary hired Craig Button from Dallas right before the 2000 Draft and Button wasn't allowed to be at the Calgary table since he knew Dallas' list; I always find it amusing when people on the main board trash Button for Calgary's 2000 Draft when he wasn't allowed to be part of it.

Dean Lombardi was hired as Kings GM a month or so before the 2006 Draft. His previous gig had been pro scouting for the Flyers so he wasn't really up to speed on the 2006 prospects so he trusted the incumbent scouts to make the picks. Although Lombardi allegedly overstepped his bounds in the second round when the scouts wanted to draft Milan Lucic. At the time, the Kings prospect pool was reasonably deep up front but really thin on defense. As the story goes, Lombardi told his scouts to draft a defenseman instead (Joe Ryan - never played in NHL). I like to think when Lombardi traded for Lucic at the 2015 Draft, he was compensating for a mistake he made a decade beforehand.

Lombardi fired the scouts he inherited a few months after the 2006 Draft and brought in a new set of eyes. I think he's said something to the effect that the 2007 Draft felt more like his first draft with the team.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Several Sharks teammates don't want Evander Kane back on the team: Sources

Several of Evander Kane's teammates don't want the Sharks winger to return to the team next season, sources tell The Athletic.

The team was trying to trade Kane earlier this summer, a source says, confirming a report from the Daily Faceoff. A big part of the reason for the team to pursue a deal was Kane's strained relationship with many of his teammates, according to several sources.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Several Sharks teammates don't want Evander Kane back on the team: Sources

Several of Evander Kane's teammates don't want the Sharks winger to return to the team next season, sources tell The Athletic.

The team was trying to trade Kane earlier this summer, a source says, confirming a report from the Daily Faceoff. A big part of the reason for the team to pursue a deal was Kane's strained relationship with many of his teammates, according to several sources.
Carolina baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad