GDT: Around the League 2021-22 v13

Status
Not open for further replies.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Not sure why anyone thought the Canucks had a chance even with the hiring of Boudreau the Bruce. That team isn't good. They have Demko and Pettersson when he feels like showing up. Not much else.

Reactions: oilers'72

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Leafs pissing their pants with glee watching the Lightning implode, sensing a favourable first round matchup. Leafs also shitting their pants as Boston is likely to pass TB and face the Leafs in a first round series that is sure to provide heartbreak for the Leafers.
It would be hilarious if TB floundered their way into WC2 to face the Cats in round 1. Then you just need CAR to keep shitting themselves and WSH to stay behind PIT to get a NYR/WSH series. Those would be hilarious bloodbaths, with a side of Dolan cringe tweets and mass firings.

macho-man-bonesaw.gif

"I've got you for 7 games". Would certainly open the East playoffs up when those four teams murder each other. "Kick his Panther ass!! *Hands him a lead pipe*

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Not sure why anyone thought the Canucks had a chance even with the hiring of Boudreau the Bruce. That team isn't good. They have Demko and Pettersson when he feels like showing up. Not much else.

I’d put JT Miller before Petterson but agree. Garland hasn’t really been as good as expected (or as good as hyped to be), Boeser continues to be underwhelming, Horvat has been up and down (and is a bit slow of foot in general). Not much forward depth, the two rookies look okay. Defense is laughable (even by our standards) and their best D man can’t really defend. Demko is easily the MVP there

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I’d put JT Miller before Petterson but agree. Garland hasn’t really been as good as expected (or as good as hyped to be), Boeser continues to be underwhelming, Horvat has been up and down (and is a bit slow of foot in general). Not much forward depth, the two rookies look okay. Defense is laughable (even by our standards) and their best D man can’t really defend. Demko is easily the MVP there
I suppose that's why getting in requires a team to be good all year, not just for an extended stretch of play. Maybe a team really can ride a hot goalie and a new coach bump at a playoff pace for even a couple months. I also do have wonder if the Canucks could really be this good.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I suppose that's why getting in requires a team to be good all year, not just for an extended stretch of play. Maybe a team really can ride a hot goalie and a new coach bump at a playoff pace for even a couple months. I also do have wonder if the Canucks could really be this good.

I think they’re a solid bubble team. If they can shed some deadweight, upgrade the D and forward depth they could be pretty dangerous. Without Demko though, they’re more or less the Oilers from 2017 (post playoffs) - 2021 (in need of reworked depth and short some good support players)

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
It will be karma bitching when Vegas is out from the playoffs. Eichel wanted to win, got his way out from Buffalo to a contender team and look them now. I enjoy every f###ing moment.

giphy (3) (1).gif

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
Everytime I watch Nuge figure skating around avoidng hits I figure I could be watching Danault instead for the same pay and less term. sigh. I don't get to live in my alternate universe. harumpf..

Oh but Danault can't score goals they said. Danault 25 goals this season. Nuge 11. Danault better at every aspect of hockey. 3 of Nuges goals this season were revised boxscores. Its like stats are trying to help him along. No thats not Kanes goal, lets give it to lil Nugey..;)
And yet the love affair between him and the press/fanbase persists. Makes me wonder what I’m missing. While I love the idea of a journeyman who stays with one team his entire career, and all the intangibles that supposedly entails, I just can’t find what he contributes to our success. Granted I don’t dissect the game as adeptly as a lot of folks here, but I can’t think of any other player whose name is uttered as infrequently as his during gameplay. It’s like he’s the invisible man.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
So it looks like the earliest day the Oiler could clinch would be Friday.

If the Oilers win tonight, that would bring them up to 96 points. If both Vegas loses tonight against the caps and Vancouver loses tomorrow against the wild that would leave them both at 87 points with 88 games played. That means they would only be able to get 4 more wins (8points) for a total of 96 points.

Edmonton wouldn't clinch though because vegas could still potentially bring their 33 RW's to 37 while Edmonton would have 36 if they win tonight in regulation. So if the Oilers get another point against the avs on Friday, we could be looking to clinch Friday at the earliest. If that doesnt work it would likely be Sunday.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

If the Oilers win tonight, that would bring them up to 96 points. If both Vegas loses tonight against the caps and Vancouver loses tomorrow against the wild that would leave them both at 87 points with 88 games played. That means they would only be able to get 4 more wins (8points) for a total of 96 points.

Edmonton wouldn't clinch though because vegas could still potentially bring their 33 RW's to 37 while Edmonton would have 36 if they win tonight in regulation. So if the Oilers get another point against the avs on Friday, we could be looking to clinch Friday at the earliest. If that doesnt work it would likely be Sunday.
The Oilers can clinch tomorrow if they win tonight (regulation, OT, or SO), Vegas loses tonight in regulation, and Vancouver doesn't win against Minnesota tomorrow.

EDM winning in a shootout tonight puts them at 96 points with 35 RWs and 40 ROWs

VGK losing in regulation lowers their maximum point total to 95

VAN losing in OT/SO tomorrow lowers their maximum points to 96. Even if they won their final four games in regulation to get to 96, they could only reach 35 RWs (tied with what the Oilers currently have) and 39 ROWs (one behind Edmonton's current total).

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Attachments

• frown.jpg
    frown.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
And yet the love affair between him and the press/fanbase persists. Makes me wonder what I’m missing. While I love the idea of a journeyman who stays with one team his entire career, and all the intangibles that supposedly entails, I just can’t find what he contributes to our success. Granted I don’t dissect the game as adeptly as a lot of folks here, but I can’t think of any other player whose name is uttered as infrequently as his during gameplay. It’s like he’s the invisible man.
Most of the things he does well are hard to pick up on for the casual observer, imo. I have all kinds of time for Nuge, he is an important part of the team. He is a cerebral player who isn't a cruise missile like McDavid or a physical force like Drai. His strengths are smart puck management, short seam passes, etc. that aren't exactly flashy. Wonder why our PP cratered when he was out? I think most people realize what he is, and see his shortcomings, but don't miss the forest for the trees when evaluating him as a player (although there are certainly a few prominent posters who critique his game obsessively).

Reactions: Kinibo

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Of all the seasons to pick on Nugent...its not this one. Our PK and Pp are trash without him and he's a decent 5 on 5 player...absolutely worth his contract.

Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
isn't perhaps RNH's production limited by how the team plays him on the third line? We shouldn't just assume that the better a player is, the higher in the lineup they go as well. Like Kassian playing on the top line, it's not always about merit but complementary skills, and also the value of spreading talent around to make your team stronger.

I'd bet that if RNH were playing on the top line, McDavid would have a big lead for the Art Ross right now, or if he were with Draisaitl, Drai might be closer to Matthews for the Rocket, or even ahead. Of course, this would boost RNH's totals along the way. But, the team is committed to spreading the talent all the way up and down the lineup. You can't say this isn't helping. The quality of the bottom six is wayyyy higher than last year. It's because RNH is cemented there, and that players like Hyman and JP spend time there too.

Plus our PP and PK is a problem, and yet RNH is obviously part of the solution there, and it is obvious when he isn't on it.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

The fact that our PP and PK both disintegrate the moment he's out of the lineup, then immediately shoot to among the best in the league when he's playing might help you on your journey.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Kraken being up 2-0 is not good for the betting community.. this matchup is suppose to be easy money

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Straight from a dominant Oil victory into watching the Knights fail. It’s gonna be a good
Hockey night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad