Around the League 2019 offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Best defensive player in the league for like 10 years and won three cups.

Granted, a weak class, and maybe folks around here only remember him just before he retired on the stars, but the guy WAS a force. Difficult player to face.
I dont mind player with elite defensive skills being elected to HHOF. It is not all about scoring.

Carbonneau is a solid choice. Rod Langway is in HHOF for his defensive skills. He was a never a point producer.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
As noted playing on those stories MTL teams adds a significant weight to the candidate’s resume. I’d be curious who the voters are and how old they are. I recall Carbonneau and would not have thought him a hall of famer but what do I know.
Guy Carbonneau was in the Stories too? man he really is a HOF !!! sorry M3S I couldnt resist !!

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
While I'm all for rewarding two-way play, that isn't what this is. Where exactly do you draw the line if you're going to put in a forward pretty much solely for intangibles and defensive contributions? When you can't make an argument for a forward that doesn't include one of those two things that guy shouldn't be in the HOF. Is John Madden going to get serious arguments for the HOF now?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i said it before hall of fame should not be a yearly thing. only the best of the best should be in the hall

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
While I'm all for rewarding two-way play, that isn't what this is. Where exactly do you draw the line if you're going to put in a forward pretty much solely for intangibles and defensive contributions? When you can't make an argument for a forward that doesn't include one of those two things that guy shouldn't be in the HOF. Is John Madden going to get serious arguments for the HOF now?

No, because however much I love John Madden (who might be in my top 5 players of alltime) - Guy C was 10x the player he was.

The necessity to quantify everything by points or some statisitic really hurts the basic premise of a Hall of Fame. The point is to put in the greatest players.

Don't you guys have people at your office who maybe don't produce the best numbers on paper but do just about frigging everything for the company? Are we going to say, 'yeah, well - the economy only grew so much during Lincoln's tenure - he wasn't that great'.

I understand as time goes on, that fewer people are going to have seen guys play in their prime - so the luster of a Barry Sanders or Larry Bird or Jack Morris fades over time and folks will just point at numbers and say 'they weren't that great'. But for anyone who saw them play - it's easy to value them far above their contemporaries with much better numbers.

I think of Guy Charbonneau as the anti-Gretzky from his work in the late 80s. That's a pretty big poison for which to be the antidote.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Carbonneau is almost like putting Bobby Holik in the HOF.

Holik had a better PPG (I think) and in a more lower scoring era. Holik won two cups. Holik never had a Selke though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
My draft year would have been 2000. Not too many active guys [who are older than me] left for me in the entire league.

96: Chara, Cullen
97: Thornton, Marleau, ̶L̶u̶o̶n̶g̶o̶
00: Hainsey, ̶O̶r̶p̶i̶k̶, Williams (I'm a couple weeks older)

tumblr_pt0ak4jlYK1uta9c3_250.gif

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
it might hurt florida since they are trying to compete but the canucks suck and it wont effect them since they are bad and rebuilding

it’s going to cost them $3M+ for 3 years, no? and who on the canucks is due a new contract in that time frame? literally everyone currently under contract today. they need to give raises and they need to improve the roster, this will absolutely hinder them

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
it might hurt florida since they are trying to compete but the canucks suck and it wont effect them since they are bad and rebuilding
It seems that Fla encouraged him to retire. They'd rather take the cap hit than pay actual money. I wasn'guess his contract wasn't insured?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Luongo is retiring, and it’s going to mean that Vancouver and Florida become the first two teams to get hit with cap recapture penalties.
Technically, I think we’re the first team to get hit with one, thanks to he who shall not be named, but that’s a drop in the bucket in comparison.

I guess he wasn’t hurt enough to go the LTIR route.

Reactions: Classic Devil

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why would he leave that money on the table?
It’s not that much in actual dollars. And I don’t think his salary was to drop something ridiculous after next year, due to the frontloaded contract.

A salary not worth collecting at 40-something years old. And he’s been getting injured almost every year for the last 4 or so.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
$3.6mil in Florida dollars is still a lot of money to a hockey player. And if he's getting injured just go the ltir route.

If we were talking about a QB or a good starting power forward you'd have a point.

It just pisses me off in regards to the Kovy penalties all over again. But I suppose we all knew this was coming.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Given what he wrote in his open letter it seems like Luongo is too injured to play but he wanted to help the team out - a lot of guys wouldn't pass on that $, even if they had never intended to collect it.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Given what he wrote in his open letter it seems like Luongo is too injured to play but he wanted to help the team out - a lot of guys wouldn't pass on that $, even if they had never intended to collect it.

I’m sure some of it may be made up over time in terms of a front office / off ice role.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I'm shocked he is retiring with years remaining on his contract. The only players I can think of doing that are Kovalchuk and Rafalski. Has anyone else done that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce