Around the League 2019 offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
lol the Rangers absolutely played Winnipeg -- giving the Hayes pick back. Even without an extension I think that's a good deal. Sucks for winnipeg fans though

I don't mind Ray not doing the trade though because without an extension it would suck to lose Trouba and whatever asset equivalent to #20 if he were not to sign an extension

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Don’t feel bad for Winnipeg fans at all. They did better then the Isles did with JT
Man if the Devils drafted a top pair defenseman (albeit lower end of the top pair spectrum) and he's been asking for a trade for a couple years and then that's the return I get I'd feel pretty bad about it

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Man if the Devils drafted a top pair defenseman (albeit lower end of the top pair spectrum) and he's been asking for a trade for a couple years and then that's the return I get I'd feel pretty bad about it

They should have known better since someone constantly asking out and not resigning with his new team limits their value.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol the Rangers absolutely played Winnipeg -- giving the Hayes pick back. Even without an extension I think that's a good deal. Sucks for winnipeg fans though

I don't mind Ray not doing the trade though because without an extension it would suck to lose Trouba and whatever asset equivalent to #20 if he were not to sign an extension

The only realistic asset equivalent to #20 was a lottery-protected 2020 first. Even then it just gets kicked down the road to 2021 where it could be unprotected.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Damn. That was a fair price for the Rangers.

Pionk is f***in junk.

Camille the Eel

Got to give the Rags credit. They've been making all the right moves as of late. Talk about rebuilding correctly on paper
Actually I don’t get the Rags moves going back over the past 3 years or so. They were a better club with McDonut, Miller, Zucarello (spelling?) and others. Their decision to tear it all down starting with the firing of Vigneault has yielded a crappy club and no real excellence on the horizon. I don’t see them becoming a contender because of Trouba. Their moves don’t make sense to me because I don’t at all see a path to them becoming a serious power.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
You guys are comical here. The ek deal is ok now but in the future? Yikes that contract will be bad? Trouba unsigned isn’t worth a first round pick?

You do realize how there will NEVER be a perfect contract or a perfect trade for a player that is signed to the perfect contract for the perfect amount of time lol. At some point you have to try and make this team better and hope a player resigns here.

Hughes and Nico will be getting contracts around age 28/29 that guess what? Will be gross overpayment and will be bad at the back end. Lol you guys just recycle the same talking point over and over

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Doesn’t seem like very much for Trouba but I forget he is unsigned so I’m sure that limited the price.

It’s a steal for the Rangers your kidding yourselves if you think otherwise. A 20 pick? That might turn into something 4 years from now? Or trouba and a year window to resign him? Obviously you have faith you can sign him otherwise you wouldn’t have traded for him. If not? Flip him at the deadline and cut your losses

Take your homer glasses off guys it’s a good deal for the rangers even unsigned ( I believe he will stay in ny)

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Frank Seravalli‏Verified account @frank_seravalli 3m3 minutes ago
More
Cheveldayoff: "This is probably an unprecedented time of communication between the general managers."
1f440.png

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Actually I don’t get the Rags moves going back over the past 3 years or so. They were a better club with McDonut, Miller, Zucarello (spelling?) and others. Their decision to tear it all down starting with the firing of Vigneault has yielded a crappy club and no real excellence on the horizon. I don’t see them becoming a contender because of Trouba. Their moves don’t make sense to me because I don’t at all see a path to them becoming a serious power.

They'd already plateaued. With Henry and other guys getting older and more used up after x number of playoff runs they actually picked the right time to cash out, before it totally collapsed on them and while they could get major returns for some of their guys. I said when Stepan was traded, it was the first move toward major rebuilding and they confirmed it a few months later at the deadline.

If anything it was more the Shatty move that was puzzling than anything else, granted he practically begged to go there but still you'd figure with a rebuild that you wouldn't sign any big FA's for a couple years.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickChartraw

NJDevs

Jun 28, 2018
New Jersey
You guys are comical here. The ek deal is ok now but in the future? Yikes that contract will be bad? Trouba unsigned isn’t worth a first round pick?

You do realize how there will NEVER be a perfect contract or a perfect trade for a player that is signed to the perfect contract for the perfect amount of time lol. At some point you have to try and make this team better and hope a player resigns here.

Hughes and Nico will be getting contracts around age 28/29 that guess what? Will be gross overpayment and will be bad at the back end. Lol you guys just recycle the same talking point over and over

Actually, there are quite a good number of fair contracts throughout the league. Go on CapFriendly and tell me you can't find players getting paid under/at their value. But, aside from that, it's also about timing your cap spends. SJS is getting old quick, and EK's decline is far sooner than 8 years away; that's a desperate signing IMO. Trouba "unisgned" is debatable without knowing what NYR is willing to throw at him. But if they're not willing to go $8m+ (which, without having spoken to him, could very well be his ask), then a 1st is a big gamble in this draft.

All that said, it's again about timing. For NYR, I'd agree it makes sense with a huge infusion of young talent coming in. For SJS, not at all. For NJD, absolutely not (assuming that's your overarching point). We simply are not in a position to be throwing assets around like NYR has the past few weeks.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It’s a steal for the Rangers your kidding yourselves if you think otherwise. A 20 pick? That might turn into something 4 years from now? Or trouba and a year window to resign him? Obviously you have faith you can sign him otherwise you wouldn’t have traded for him. If not? Flip him at the deadline and cut your losses

Take your homer glasses off guys it’s a good deal for the rangers even unsigned ( I believe he will stay in ny)

What would be the point of that? For a rebuilding team to give up a 1 in a strong draft and then maybe get a 2 back at the deadline it would be a waste of assets.

Of course it's a good value trade for them, doesn't mean it doesn't have risk - that's why it's a good value trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad