Around the League - 2019/20 Season Edition #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One of the CBJ goalies could be a legitimate cheap-ish goalie option before the Seattle expansion. Korpisalo makes a lot less money than what they gave Merzlikins on his bridge deal, and they also have Daniil Tarasov who is a big prospect as well. They can't and won't keep everyone. Maybe we find our next goalie there.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think the length of the game made Vasy g.a.a dip down to like the 0.4 area for this one.

Set the record for saves (85). Jones played a full regulation game and a quarter of a period's worth of minutes.

Reactions: Havoc

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Set the record for saves (85).
Since the Blue Jackets lost will anyone care about him setting a new record for saves in a playoff game? It's like Toronto's comeback in Game 4. When it happened and the fact they won in overtime was great to see. However since they lost the series no one will remember it as much because of that.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Since the Blue Jackets lost will anyone care about him setting a new record for saves in a playoff game? It's like Toronto's comeback in Game 4. It was great when it happened and the fact they won in overtime. However since they lost the series no one will remember it as much because of that.
Our comeback was fun. His # of saves is a record

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Since the Blue Jackets lost will anyone care about him setting a new record for saves in a playoff game? It's like Toronto's comeback in Game 4. When it happened and the fact they won in overtime was great to see. However since they lost the series no one will remember it as much because of that.

The previous record stood for 33 years. This should absolutely be remembered. I'm a trivia fan though. I'd like to think that Leaf game will be remembered too in its own right.

Last edited:

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Great game. I've gotten over the Leafs really quick this year, usually it would be at least a couple of weeks of avoiding all hockey. I guess it's the Covid year, any hockey was a bonus.

We do need to make changes but we'll have a fair bit of time to sort out the holes. Fingers crossed we're back by the end of the year.

Reactions: Buds17

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Great game. I've gotten over the Leafs really quick this year, usually it would be at least a couple of weeks of avoiding all hockey. I guess it's the Covid year, any hockey was a bonus.

We do need to make changes but we'll have a fair bit of time to sort out the holes. Fingers crossed we're back by the end of the year.
yup I hope so, just not seeing it happening, or how it could be done...

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Brayden Point...what a freakin' player! 2 goals including the nice snipe for the OT winner! Takes a reasonable bridge deal to keep the Lightning competitive. Plenty wrong with the Leafs...so sad.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Brayden Point...what a freakin' player! 2 goals including the nice snipe for the OT winner! Takes a reasonable bridge deal to keep the Lightning competitive. Plenty wrong with the Leafs...so sad.
Plenty wrong sire Bruce! Plenty WRONG! You is correctamundo karateka! :clap: :wham: :fist: :strike: :stroke: :sex: :hot: :sun: :moon: :clowd: :clowds: :sleep: :sheep: :calculate: :white:

Reactions: Superstar

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Absolutely. Shame that they lost...not that either team deserved to, but...
Columbus was totally dominated, especially in all OT periods. They barely can master one or two chances per OT period. What is the point? Tampa was much better team and almost doubled cbj in shots on goal and many more were just blocked. I kind of enjoyed peppering of Korpisalo with pucks and chances coming on most shifts against him. He probably knew he would lose sooner or later. lol

Reactions: Buds17

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Problem with bridge deals is guys typically ask for an overpayment the second time around. IDK how it works in Tampa with their weird tax situation. Everyone gets underpaid there typically. However eventually guys want to get paid, and guys take huge risks and major pay cuts for bridges. They are not going to take another pay cut when they've earned their money and have taken all of the risk. Most, if not all, of the time they want it made up on their next deals, which means overpayment.

When guys get paid on their first deal, they are more inclined to take a team-friendly deal the next time around. It's not always guaranteed, but a guy like Marner who is going to be making a good chunk of money anyways will likely sacrifice a few million to allow for the Leafs to be more competitive and win a Cup... Especially since he is a core guy who likely wants to be a lifetime Leaf.

However bridge deals are not some new and genius idea. Usually they end up hurting the team long term more than it helps them in the short term and is more for GM's who mismanaged their cap, or are used on guys who have not proven themselves entirely and are betting on themselves doing better. Tampa had to do it out of necessity because they've got guys like Palat, Johnson, Gourde, and Killorn locked in for like 20 mill combined and are not getting the best out of them right now. Bridging Point should allow them to dump some of them before he is up for more money, but it means he is almost certainly getting more money than he would have received on a longer term deal earlier on. I wonder if someone has done analysis on which approach is better, or if it depends on the player and situation (which is essentially how it works now).

Reactions: Dekes For Days

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Every year as the playoffs progress, I think how the Leafs would look. Watching the Lightning/Blue Jackets game, I couldn’t help but think the Leafs are nowhere good enough to have gotten through four rounds. First Tampa, then possibly Boston, then possibly one of Washington/Philly just to get out of the conference? Just don’t see it with the construction of the team as is.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Problem with bridge deals is guys typically ask for an overpayment the second time around. IDK how it works in Tampa with their weird tax situation. Everyone gets underpaid there typically. However eventually guys want to get paid, and guys take huge risks and major pay cuts for bridges. They are not going to take another pay cut when they've earned their money and have taken all of the risk. Most, if not all, of the time they want it made up on their next deals, which means overpayment.

When guys get paid on their first deal, they are more inclined to take a team-friendly deal the next time around. It's not always guaranteed, but a guy like Marner who is going to be making a good chunk of money anyways will likely sacrifice a few million to allow for the Leafs to be more competitive and win a Cup... Especially since he is a core guy who likely wants to be a lifetime Leaf.

However bridge deals are not some new and genius idea. Usually they end up hurting the team long term more than it helps them in the short term and is more for GM's who mismanaged their cap, or are used on guys who have not proven themselves entirely and are betting on themselves doing better. Tampa had to do it out of necessity because they've got guys like Palat, Johnson, Gourde, and Killorn locked in for like 20 mill combined and are not getting the best out of them right now. Bridging Point should allow them to dump some of them before he is up for more money, but it means he is almost certainly getting more money than he would have received on a longer term deal earlier on. I wonder if someone has done analysis on which approach is better, or if it depends on the player and situation (which is essentially how it works now).

People are different, and Marner has shown his true colours...he squeezed the Leafs for every cent he could get as a RFA...even with the whopping signing bonuses (Marner got paid USD $16 million this year!), the Leafs couldn't even get a decent deal done...Marner will have even more leverage when he becomes a UFA, there's little reason for him to give the Leafs any discount at all...when Tavares signed his second deal with the Isles, he took a major discount so the GM could build around him...he got a good raise with the Leafs, though he still left plenty of money on the table as a UFA, but that's who he is...JT's family background is very interesting...they are modest, hardworking immigrants, folks who probably don't take too many things for granted.

I don't see Brayden Point asking for $12 million plus in his next contract because he left plenty of cash on the table this time around...he's making more than $4 million less than Marner on a 3 year deal at $6.75 million per...but I could see Marner asking for $12 million plus on his next contract though...he probably thinks he's giving the Leafs a discount now, lol...which is a big issue...attitude is worth it's weight in gold...humility is a virtue, just look at Gretzky...arguably the best player to ever play the game, yet one of the most humble individuals around. What motivation does a person have to get better when he thinks he's already there?

If you heard the Darren Ferris interview after Marner's contract got done, he wasn't exactly happy that it got done...probably as a result of a lot of fan and media pressure...it pretty much got done within several days after details were leaked that Marner rejected the $10 million per over 7 years the Leafs had offered. Remember, he wanted Matthews' Money, so anything less is a discount to him that he's giving the Leafs.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
People are different, and Marner has shown his true colours...he squeezed the Leafs for every cent he could get as a RFA...even with the whopping signing bonuses (Marner got paid USD $16 million this year!), the Leafs couldn't even get a decent deal done...Marner will have even more leverage when he becomes a UFA, there's little reason for him to give the Leafs any discount at all...when Tavares signed his second deal with the Isles, he took a major discount so the GM could build around him...he got a good raise with the Leafs, though he still left plenty of money on the table as a UFA, but that's who he is...JT's family background is very interesting...they are modest, hardworking immigrants, folks who probably don't take too many things for granted.

I don't see Brayden Point asking for $12 million plus in his next contract because he left plenty of cash on the table this time around...he's making more than $4 million less than Marner on a 3 year deal at $6.75 million per...but I could see Marner asking for $12 million plus on his next contract though...he probably thinks he's giving the Leafs a discount now, lol...which is a big issue...attitude is worth it's weight in gold...humility is a virtue, just look at Gretzky...arguably the best player to ever play the game, yet one of the most humble individuals around. What motivation does a person have to get better when he thinks he's already there?

If you heard the Darren Ferris interview after Marner's contract got done, he wasn't exactly happy that it got done...probably as a result of a lot of fan and media pressure...it pretty much got done within several days after details were leaked that Marner rejected the $10 million per over 7 years the Leafs had offered. Remember, he wanted Matthews' Money, so anything less is a discount to him that he's giving the Leafs.
It takes 2 to tango. Dubas approves the contract. Sorry but I don’t pay 11 million for 18-20 goal scorer no matter how pretty the assists look.
No way Marner should be that high above Draisaitl/Aho and above Kucherov.
8.5 to Nylander’s 7 should have been the range.

Reactions: Superstar

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I feel like we got massively unlucky facing Columbus in the qualifiers.

Not because we lost.

We got unlucky because their games are the antithesis of entertaining. They even made a 5OT game an absolute slog to watch.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I feel like we got massively unlucky facing Columbus in the qualifiers.

Not because we lost.

We got unlucky because their games are the antithesis of entertaining. They even made a 5OT game an absolute slog to watch.
What?? I thought that was a phenomenal game and made me even more pissed that the Leafs failed to make the playoffs and aren't part of this.
The game did highlight for me how far away the Leafs are from being able to turn on that Playoff intensity.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Set the record for saves (85). Jones played a full regulation game and a quarter of a period's worth of minutes.

That was something to see alright as it took the highest scoring team in the NHL TB, around 7 1/2 periods and nearly 90 shots on net to defeat those pesky Blue Jackets.

One of the top 5 longest playoff games in NHL history. That was a classic battle of wills.

I watched the entire game from start to finish and what a way to kick off round #1 of the playoffs.

That was playoff hockey at it finest on display there.

Reactions: ACC1224 and Buds17

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It takes 2 to tango. Dubas approves the contract. Sorry but I don’t pay 11 million for 18-20 goal scorer no matter how pretty the assists look.
No way Marner should be that high above Draisaitl/Aho and above Kucherov.
8.5 to Nylander’s 7 should have been the range.

So then you sit him, and people are fine with the Leafs regressing as a result?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What?? I thought that was a phenomenal game and made me even more pissed that the Leafs failed to make the playoffs and aren't part of this.
The game did highlight for me how far away the Leafs are from being able to turn on that Playoff intensity.

I was thinking the very same thing while watching that game.

Leafs type of players, style of system and preferred play is a long way from the being playoff ready to compete on that level. There is no Dougie Gilmour or Wendel Clark on this Leafs team.

Well we even have direct comparison here as our Leafs kept getting shutout, if you simply swapped TB with Leafs to answer the what if it was our team here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad