Around the League 2015/2016 Pt 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
**** you Ron Mclean.

It's more than the Burrows vs Auger angle - he NEVER let it go. So **** him.

Yeah, I really soured on McLean in his last couple years. Not stoked to have him back.

I actually really liked Strombo. Didn't pretend to be more knowledgeable than he was, but still asked good questions and facilitated discussion well. The problem is the screaming idiots surrounding Strombo and Friedman.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Yeah, I really soured on McLean in his last couple years. Not stoked to have him back.

I actually really liked Strombo. Didn't pretend to be more knowledgeable than he was, but still asked good questions and facilitated discussion well. The problem is the screaming idiots surrounding Strombo and Friedman.

Strombo just couldn't overcome the silly suits he wore.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
McGuire and Mirtle both believe a trade gets made today. Mirtle in his column, Mcguire on radio. Stolen from the Trade board.

edit: [ARI/SJ] Maxim Letunov & 6th in 2017 for 4th in 2016 & 3rd in 2017.....I hope this wasn't a trade they were talking about!

Coyotes add a 4th round pick for this year, which they didn't have. Letunov was a second round pick of the Blues in 2014. Led U. of Connecticut in scoring this past season.

edit #2: Dreger saying the Jackets are still shopping the #3 pick but want to include a contract (Hartnell) in a deal to open up cap space as they need to get Jones signed.

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

I feel like people just didn't want to try something new.

McLean is more knowledgeable overall but that means nothing when you're constantly trying to inject your ego and agenda into things. And how is anyone supposed to get to that level to take over for him? He's not going to be able to do this forever.

Strombo IS very good at facilitating discussion and even though the rest of the guys are idiots he had more of a buddy connection with them than McLean ever has.

If all you're doing is swapping Strombo and McLean, it's not significantly improving the broadcast IMO. And if you think thousands of viewers are going to tune in to watch McLean host you're sorely mistaken.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Gibson is one of the most overrated goalies in the league in my opinion. I am really not sold on Anaheim making the playoffs next season without Andersen or Boudreau. Still a good haul for them though.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Seems like a lot

It's really two 2nd rounders.

Jones was the 29th plus a minor league prospect.

Talbot was a 2nd, 3rd and 7th.

Lehner + cap dump (Legwand) was for the 21st overall.

Of all those guys, Anderson has shown he's good in the playoffs and has started 50+ games. He's also still under RFA for at least two seasons.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I feel like people just didn't want to try something new.

McLean is more knowledgeable overall but that means nothing when you're constantly trying to inject your ego and agenda into things. And how is anyone supposed to get to that level to take over for him? He's not going to be able to do this forever.

Strombo IS very good at facilitating discussion and even though the rest of the guys are idiots he had more of a buddy connection with them than McLean ever has.

If all you're doing is swapping Strombo and McLean, it's not significantly improving the broadcast IMO. And if you think thousands of viewers are going to tune in to watch McLean host you're sorely mistaken.

Yup. I was against the change when it happened, largely I think because I feared losing the 'feel' of HNIC which I strongly associated with McLean - even though I was still pretty choked about the Burrows thing.

But Strombo actually turned out much better than I expected, and when I saw McLean on that Hometown Hockey garbage I realized how annoying I found his fake folksiness and agenda-making.

Pretty disappointed by this, actually. The problem is the panel and the yammering idiots there, and that doesn't look like it'll change

_________

I'll probably take some heat for this, but as the most anti-Messier person imaginable, I actually thought he did really well in a TV setting when doing some intermission stuff with Strombo earlier this year on a couple occasions. He's still a ******, but was intelligent and well-spoken, and the sort of talking head with NHL experience that these panels need, not Nick Kypreos and Damien Cox.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Thats a really good haul for Anaheim, I can't believe they got that offer with their backs against the wall, with everyone knowing they HAVE to trade one away..... hmm... reminds me of a certain franchise that botched a similar situation... a low first rounder and a very high second rnder, I guess Toronto believes their rebuild is over? lol.... I would've waited another year before I stabilize goaltending frankly...but I guess Babcock wants to win now.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Yeah. I mean, I think George was a pretty awkward fit, but swapping him for McLean (or, basically, anyone) isn't going to improve the broadcast. You need to punt idiots like Kypreos and Stock. The show was utterly unwatchable last year and it wasn't because of George.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Huge ouch on that contract.

The whole point of getting a middling starter like Andersen is that you DON'T have to pay them a $6 million starter salary.

Is Frederik Andersen really significantly better than James Reimer?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
good contract, great moves by the Leafs

they're easier to root for than this team if only going by management and ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad