Around the League 2015/2016 Pt 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I would have put money on that. Francis was a cerebral player There's a reason he's top 10 in all-time scoring. Linden had size, skill and some grit combined with some smarts. But by no means was he in the same calibre as Francis, smarts-wise.

Linden has always come across as a shill. Francis authentic. Of course Linden has totally gone off the rails in his tenure as Aquillini's bit.. I mean team president and any semblance of authenticity he once had has been tossed to the wind.

Just to play devils advocate, Gretz probably the highest IQ player of all time didn't seem to be that good at management/coaching, and Shannahan who was closer to Linden looks to be pretty good. Just to play devils advocate.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Just to play devils advocate, Gretz probably the highest IQ player of all time didn't seem to be that good at management/coaching, and Shannahan who was closer to Linden looks to be pretty good. Just to play devils advocate.

TBH, Gretz and Linden were more PR moves than Shanny was.

Gretz to sell hockey in a dead market, Linden to sell more tix in a stagnating one. It doesn't really matter who is in TO, they'll always sell tickets, they just decided to sell them for the right reasons.

Tired of hearing how fickle this fan base is with support financially. I love the Canucks, unconditionally, but I'd put more money into the market if they would sell their **** at reasonable prices. You think I have $100 to spend on 41 home games? Get ****ed, I got a car and rent but I'll gladly watch on TV or listen on radio.

I couldn't care less whether the Canucks sucked or not, I just simply can't make games. I don't watch them live because they are good, Pratt, you ****ing idiot. I watch them because I can get tickets and NHL has good players. I like so many other Canucks fans, simply can't afford to buy tickets. Not everyone is a Vancouver multi-millionaire who has the world at their finger tips, I'm just a guy, who loves hockey, will do lots to support the team and can't afford tickets because he has a life to tend to as well.

There, I said it.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Francis would have had 6 years of front office experience as of 3 years ago.

Which is why it was smart short run to hire Linden and dumb long run. SR, we hire Linden immediately to an executive role and we eat up the casual fan/fan boy portion. LR, we hire Linden to an assistant job and promote him in 2, 3 years. We make no revenue SR, but maybe see greater success LR, ah, to hell with it, we'll fast track him to exec work, fans eat it up cause it's Linden and he learns from his mistakes. Or sorry, we learn from our msitakes. Did we spell that wrong? Only if the fans think we did.

That's how it is. They'll fall head and heels to appeal to the casual fan and/or fan boy by parading Linden out like some golf caddy who thinks he's doing something but really is just a figure head for Aquilinis dirty work.

That is, we win now, try and make a little bit of money and crash and burn. Seriously. This team is heading on a one-way track to **** town and some fans are willing to plead ignorance while it happens.

This offseason is big. Even bigger than last year's and yes, even bigger than 2014's. Recency bias, yes. But now is the time to start fighting the future. Do we send 30 seasoned veterans to their death or have them train others to carry on their cause and fight another day? Today is the best time to plant a tree for the future. The only choice we have to be a successful franchise is to build for tomorrow.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Interesting Star article rating teams' drafting performances based on minutes played by drafted players. Guess how Vancouver stacks up. (Hint: you already know.)

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hock...-the-leafs-busiest-draft-pick--in-boston.html

Interesting article. Something that came to mind though...wouldn't a team drafting a starting goalie between those years skew that data somewhat? IE: A starting goalie plays more minutes per game on average than any other position. I wonder why they went with minutes instead of games played?

Either way, no surprise we're again towards the bottom of the heap.

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
Interesting article. Something that came to mind though...wouldn't a team drafting a starting goalie between those years skew that data somewhat? IE: A starting goalie plays more minutes per game on average than any other position. I wonder why they went with minutes instead of games played?

Either way, no surprise we're again towards the bottom of the heap.

Yeah, might not be the most accurate way to measure success. But as a simple gauge it makes some sense. In the article they explain the method like so:

"By measuring total minutes played rather than games played, we looked at the total impact on the ice of what scouts were trying to measure when analyzing players as teenagers. Goalies play the most minutes, reflecting their importance in team building. And minutes played differentiate star players on forward and defence from pluggers better than games played."

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Welcome back, Ron McLean. Say what you want about that whole Burrows Vs Auger angle he took, he's still a better HNIC host than Strombo.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Yeah, might not be the most accurate way to measure success. But as a simple gauge it makes some sense. In the article they explain the method like so:

"By measuring total minutes played rather than games played, we looked at the total impact on the ice of what scouts were trying to measure when analyzing players as teenagers. Goalies play the most minutes, reflecting their importance in team building. And minutes played differentiate star players on forward and defence from pluggers better than games played."

Seems like a pretty poor way to judge draft success. Goalies are weighted too heavily and drafting 15 years ago is weighted far more than drafting more recently. Fleury and Bouwmeester are considered more valuable than Crosby, Kane, Benn, Tarasenko, Barkov, and Doughty combined. One needs only look at where a team like Tampa is on that list to see this in action.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Kypreos won't go anywhere. But Cox and Stock have to be next.

One of the most common complaints I heard was that there were just too many people on the show. Like sometimes it'd be 3-4 commentators plus Strombo, and it was just a mess. I think you really only need three people: McLean, Friedman, and one of Cox/Healy/Kypreos/etc. All those guys play pretty much the same role ... loud, opinionated guy. I don't think you need a bunch of them yelling on set (also fix the set ... it looked awful). And, bring back the Satellite Hotstove!

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
**** you Ron Mclean.

It's more than the Burrows vs Auger angle - he NEVER let it go. So **** him.
Yup. Screw Ron MacLean.

Sanctimonious has-been who was rightly put out to pasture two years ago for Rogers' travelling good-time road show. This is a panic move by Sportsnet and while Strombo was no great shakes himself, I'd rather have a casual fan facilitating discussion than a know-it-all talking over everyone.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Could care less than MacLean is back. Hated him long before Strombo replaced him, and was truly indifferent to Strombo as a host. The panel in general blows chunks, minus Friedman, of course.

Intermissions have long been bathroom/chatting breaks in my house.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Could care less than MacLean is back. Hated him long before Strombo replaced him, and was truly indifferent to Strombo as a host. The panel in general blows chunks, minus Friedman, of course.

Intermissions have long been bathroom/chatting breaks in my house.
As long as they keep Friedman around, the intermission segments shouldn't suffer too much. I'd like to see one of the ex-players bumped off for Corey Hirsch, though. He's far more entertaining.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not a huge fan of McLean. That said Strombo was just awful. When not on some sort of agenda McLean does a decent job of hosting at least. The main issue is having guys like Kypreos and, well, anyone not named Friedman. They need to get back to a good hot stove lounge intermission with actual knowledgeable people who can string together coherent thoughts IMO.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
man i wish gina luongo had had a twitter account in the spring of 2011. would have made all that go down a lot more smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad