Around the League 2015/2016 Pt 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Seems like a strange move for Toronto picking up a goalie who will be 27 at the start of next season. I would've thought they would target cheaper or younger options given the emphasis they have put on asset management and long term rebuild. I'm not sure Andersen is a core player or really worth that contract and they traded a couple good draft picks to do so.

Rogers must be putting pressure on the leafs to be more competitive next year to bump ratings. Wonder if a fat contract to Stamkos is next and this is an attempt to show him they are serious about winning sometime soon.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Seems like a strange move for Toronto picking up a goalie who will be 27 at the start of next season. I would've thought they would target cheaper or younger options given the emphasis they have put on asset management and long term rebuild. I'm not sure Andersen is a core player or really worth that contract and they traded a couple good draft picks to do so.

Rogers must be putting pressure on the leafs to be more competitive next year to bump ratings. Wonder if a fat contract to Stamkos is next and this is an attempt to show him they are serious about winning sometime soon.
So their "patient, right way of rebuilding" ends in one year...

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Today was a fun day to follow the transactions...

To think this was just an appetizer to the week ahead!

Lol
It's not. It's a good move following with a bad contract

It's now listed as a 5x5 contract.. $25 mil total. Which is league average starter money now.

Expect Markstrom to get around the same.. or slightly more due to being a UFA.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
If Markstrom steps it up this year that may be the ballpark range we'd need to keep him.

if he wants 5 million x 5 I'd let him walk. Markstrom needs to prove himself as a starter for a couple years before making those kind of demands.

With the expansion draft looming there isn't going to be many spots where Jacob will be a teams #1. He needs us as much as we need him so I would think a contract for 3 years and 3-4 million would be fair for both sides.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hmm, Toronto must be high on Andersen. They have a very calculated management group so I have to give them the benefit of the doubt here but to me it looks like an overpay(the trade, the signing is fair).

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

It's now listed as a 5x5 contract.. $25 mil total. Which is league average starter money now.

Are we share he is a legit starter ? I would have prefer a 2~3 years contract at leader under 5m

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

Markstrom is a UFA...but who would be interested? there will be a very limited market and I doubt there will be many teams that view him as a starter outside of the canucks. Teams that need goalies will address it between now and the expansion draft.

Canucks should be able to get a good deal on Marky if they play their cards right.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So their "patient, right way of rebuilding" ends in one year...

No.. I don't see them throwing away draft picks for short terms players. As long as they don't do that., they'll be sticking to the plan.

The plan modified the minute the won the lottery tho... They've accumulated all the high end prospects you could hope for... topped off with Austin Matthews!

What else would they be tanking for next season? A 2017 drafted D prospect?

It's time to start supplementing the roster with NHL players and addressing their roster weaknesses so they can shelter their youth and not pull an Oiler...

Pick Matthews.. then draft D with every other pick for the rest of the 2016 draft.

The minute they won the lottery, it was 'go time.' They just so happen to be starting with Andersen.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Markstrom is a UFA...but who would be interested? there will be a very limited market and I doubt there will be many teams that view him as a starter outside of the canucks. Teams that need goalies will address it between now and the expansion draft.

Canucks should be able to get a good deal on Marky if they play their cards right.

ALLL depends on the season he has.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
There shouldn't be a chance Markstrom gets that much, unless he throws up a 930 next year over 50+ games. That's a brutal contract, little surprised.

I love trades that come out of nowhere, so much fun (as long as we're not involved).

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
ALLL depends on the season he has.

I'm not expecting him to have a great season statistically. I do expect him to play well next year but I don't expect his numbers to reflect that.

He would need a miller injury and healthy defense all year long to even come close to a 5x5 type contract. Unfortunately he's probably going to be hung out to dry on many nights if Edler-Tanev pairing isn't healthy all year.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Leafs' costs are going to be low over the next few years with their rebuild anyway, but that Andersen contract is a tough pill to swallow. Hopefully he works out better than the last European starting goaltender they imported from California.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Thats a really good haul for Anaheim, I can't believe they got that offer with their backs against the wall, with everyone knowing they HAVE to trade one away..... hmm... reminds me of a certain franchise that botched a similar situation... a low first rounder and a very high second rnder, I guess Toronto believes their rebuild is over? lol.... I would've waited another year before I stabilize goaltending frankly...but I guess Babcock wants to win now.
But similarly... the Ducks could have gotten a better return had they been willing to trade within the division to Calgary.

Originally liked the return for Anaheim but have come around to calling this a fair trade. Ducks aren't getting any guaranteed NHL talent while Andersen's body of work is very limited. I do not like the Andersen contract though.

Hmm, Toronto must be high on Andersen. They have a very calculated management group so I have to give them the benefit of the doubt here but to me it looks like an overpay(the trade, the signing is fair).
They've proven calculated at asset management, with a generous carte blanche from ownership to tank, but not in talent evaluation yet. Obviously this has Lamoriello's fingerprints on it, but Andersen's a bigger gamble than Schneider was.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Steep trade, steep contract for the Leafs. First couple moves they've made in a long time that seem questionable. But, given their prior track record they get the benefit of the doubt on this one. Unlike Jimbo.

Doesn't matter how he played last season, EVERY youngish, below average starter/above average backup type that has been traded over the past year (Andersen, Reimer, Jones, Talbot, etc.) is being traded for way more than what Eddie Lack got.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Steep trade, steep contract for the Leafs. First couple moves they've made in a long time that seem questionable. But, given their prior track record they get the benefit of the doubt on this one. Unlike Jimbo.

Doesn't matter how he played last season, EVERY youngish, below average starter/above average backup type that has been traded over the past year (Andersen, Reimer, Jones, Talbot, etc.) is being traded for way more than what Eddie Lack got.

Eddie Lack isn't in that tier of goalies and I'm sure other GM's knew it. If this past season was any indication, he's regressing back to a mediocre back-up. JB made out like a bandit when he got a 3rd for him.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver

Reimer was traded for a 2018 4th so no. Andersen, Jones and Talbot are much better than Lack. I still feel Benning could have done a better job but what he got for him is pretty fair.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I really like Andersen but that seems like a lot to pay on both the trade and contract. I guess they didn't want to risk having him walk after a shorter term deal after giving up that much for him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad