Around the League - 2014-15 V. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What a day. Was tiring trying to keep updating my tracker between like 12:30 and 1:15 when the signings were coming in every single minute :laugh:

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
we should give them clarkson for the cherry on top :nod:

Congratulations Washington!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For being the most generous team and handing out the stupidest contracts you have been rewarded with last years stupidest contract, Clarkson......................... Go ahead don't be shy take him.............. Take Him :laugh:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That Orpik contract will come close to being as bad as the Clarkson contract. My god, what terribleness.

The Pouliot contract is pretty horrid too

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
That Orpik contract will come close to being as bad as the Clarkson contract. My god, what terribleness.

The Pouliot contract is pretty horrid too

Bolland.

the man can't turn left, and is injury prone - and making 1 year less and .25 of a million less. that's gonna be baaaaaaaaaaaad.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bolland is making more than Clarkson

Yeah, some nasty contracts handed out. How Nonis didn't get sucked in is a blessing :laugh:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Bolland is making more than Clarkson

Yeah, some nasty contracts handed out. How Nonis didn't get sucked in is a blessing :laugh:

he's making more?!

oh my god, it's like the league saw what the Leafs did last season and went "yah, we can totally beat that stupidity."

i think Shanahan told him no.
that or the fact we sucked last season is a blessing in disguise.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
washington capitals :facepalm:

they pretty much screwed themselves.

No question the Orpik contract is bad but to put that in context.

Niskanen and Orpik make $11 mil cap . Phaneuf and Robidas = $10 mil combined .

Washington defense also has Mike Green, Karl Alzner, John Carlson, and Dimiti Orlov..

So that is a pretty good defense overall (despite the UFA costs) & they have 22 of 23 players under contract and $1.1 mil of spare cap space so they have no cap issues.

I think Washington defense > Leafs defense IMO

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
All hail, Florida

Different situation.

Florida began the day $19 mil below the cap floor and needed to spend at least that to be cap compliant.

Despite all their spending they still have >$15 mil free cap space and are the 2nd lowest cap spending team in the NHL ahead of only Buffalo.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No question the Orpik contract is bad but to put that in context.

Niskanen and Orpik make $11 mil cap . Phaneuf and Robidas = $10 mil combined .

Washington defense also has Mike Green, Karl Alzner, John Carlson, and Dimiti Orlov..

So that is a pretty good defense overall (despite the UFA costs) & they have 22 of 23 players under contract and $1.1 mil of spare cap space so they have no cap issues.

I think Washington defense > Leafs defense IMO

Phaneuf > Niskanen
Robidas > Orpik

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
Different situation.

Florida began the day $19 mil below the cap floor and needed to spend at least that to be cap compliant.

Despite all their spending they still have >$15 mil free cap space and are the 2nd lowest cap spending team in the NHL ahead of only Buffalo.

I'm hailing them because they are the ones to over pay for Bolland. I don't care about their cap situation.

They stopped the Leafs from investing a rumored 4.9M x 5 yr in a player that I didn't feel is worth it.

I am happy and content with the Leafs FAgency so far.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
The 9-15 ranked teams in the West don't even need to show up next season. Top 8 already locked lol

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
That Orpik deal is going to kill the capitals, what a terrible deal.. Just happy we didn't do something stupid like that

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
That Orpik deal is going to kill the capitals, what a terrible deal.. Just happy we didn't do something stupid like that

tsn was like - so when do we set the over/under on him being bought out.

that is a horrendous contract.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Phaneuf > Niskanen
Robidas > Orpik

Niskanen finished 12th in Dman scoring with 10-36-46 points Phaneuf finished 45th in Dman scoring with 8-23-31 points.

Matt Niskanen was a +33 (#1 overall among Dmen) while Phaneuf was a +2 (104th among Dmen)

Phaneuf is age 29 and signed for 7 X $7 mil while Niskanen is 27 and signed for 7 X $5.75 mil.

> is subjective but statistically its no contest as to who is better, cheaper and younger. ;)

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Niskanen finished 12th in Dman scoring with 10-36-46 points Phaneuf finished 45th in Dman scoring with 8-23-31 points.

Matt Niskanen was a +33 (#1 overall among Dmen) while Phaneuf was a +2 (104th among Dmen)

Phaneuf is age 29 and signed for 7 X $7 mil while Niskanen is 27 and signed for 7 X $5.75 mil.

> is subjective but statistically its no contest as to who is better, cheaper and younger. ;)

Niskanen did crap, absolutely CRAP against top line players. THere is a reason why he was let go. Paul martin has really come out on his own baring injuries, while Oli Maata gets more development space, along with a young guy who was thriving as well in Simon Despres. There was a reason both of those guys were let go and a person like Ehroff was signed very quickly.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Niskanen did crap, absolutely CRAP against top line players. THere is a reason why he was let go. Paul martin has really come out on his own baring injuries, while Oli Maata gets more development space, along with a young guy who was thriving as well in Simon Despres. There was a reason both of those guys were let go and a person like Ehroff was signed very quickly.

the only thing that may save Niskanen is that he gets to play w/Ovi. but it's going to be tween he and Orpik who gets bought out first. in my opinion.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
the only thing that may save Niskanen is that he gets to play w/Ovi. but it's going to be tween he and Orpik who gets bought out first. in my opinion.

Well let's see what happens...who knows maybe they'll surprise :laugh:

Let's hope we can steal one of Alzner or Carlsson from them now.

Oh how I wish we could get a guy like Carlson over here.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto

LOL. Bringing up +/- and points to judge top pairing defensemen isn't exactly the best way to do it.

So I guess 2 years ago, Fraser and Franson was probably the best pairing in the NHL right?

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Really liking the looks of that TBL team. Plus they have a couple of young guys in Drouin and Connolly who could put them in contention for the top spot in the Atlantic vs Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad