Around the League 19: And Down the Stretch They Come...OK, Who Hit the Pause Button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
America isn't really experiencing a 2nd wave, but rather just an extended 1st wave. The lockdowns early on actually helped to cut down the early seeding, so the wave here is simultaneously more protracted and also more slow and manageable than the huge spikes that you saw in places such as Italy and Spain. This is a good thing, not a bad thing, as far as infectious diseases are concerned.
I mean it really depends on how you want to define a "wave". America as a whole overall is experiencing a 2nd wave. Overall cases spiked months ago before declining and now overall cases are spiking again. And this time some states who never had a spike in the 1st wave but are experiencing spikes now have very little control over the spread. People are ignoring social distancing, some states have terrible leadership with respect to requiring masks in public, etc... it's a total shitshow in the states compared to how many countries in Europe handled it. We can't really expect our numbers to be similar to theirs.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I mean it really depends on how you want to define a "wave". America as a whole overall is experiencing a 2nd wave. Overall cases spiked months ago before declining and now overall cases are spiking again. And this time some states who never had a spike in the 1st wave but are experiencing spikes now have very little control over the spread. People are ignoring social distancing, some states have terrible leadership with respect to requiring masks in public, etc... it's a total shitshow in the states compared to how many countries in Europe handled it. We can't really expect our numbers to be similar to theirs.

It isn't simply places that didn't mask up that's experienced a lot of spreading this month, but also places that have locked down for months, such as LA County in California and King County, WA. I think that LA County has had the fastest spread of all locales in the country. Most of the spots that are experiencing spreads now are the highly populated places that weren't as affected in the start of the wave, which includes Dallas, Houston, Miami, Los Angeles, Seattle, Atlanta, Chicago, and San Francisco. Seattle's really the only one that's experienced a 2nd wave out of all of the spots that I mentioned.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think so but it turned into another COVID thread

Short-term, don't worry. I'm back to bitching about hockey again LMAO! I think the lottery works just the way that it should. Don't reward teams for incompetence, and earn your way to competence. Not guaranteeing bad teams #1 picks encourages the presence of strong executive offices rather than OBCs, like what happened in Edmonton.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
This draft has an interesting top end. I’m not sure picking fourth is a bad thing. Byfield has a lot of projection to him imo. Detroit is still going to get a very good player, and number one doesn’t seem to be a sure thing superstar. Not a bad year to lose the lottery.

Flip side. Montreal or someone like that getting a playoff shot and the first overall pick is gong show material.

Last edited:

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
This draft has an interesting top end. I’m not sure picking fourth is a bad thing. Byfield has a lot of projection to him imo. Detroit is still going to get a very good player, and number one doesn’t seem to be a sure thing superstar. Not a bad year to lose the lottery.

Flip side. Montreal getting a playoff shot and the first overall pick is gong show material.

Yeah, but on the other hand... the top pick going to a playoff team? That still has to sting.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah, but on the other hand... the top pick going to a playoff team? That still has to sting.
I’m sure it stings, but I can see it being like the Av’s dropping to four and getting Makar based on this group. The kind of thing you have no problem with a few years from now. If it had been McDavid and Eichel at one and two....then yeah you’re gonna be upset.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think so but it turned into another COVID thread

"I am not happy with the NHL Draft Lottery rules, but I also have some aggravation towards the pandemic disease that has seen hundreds of thousands of people dead and devastated the economy worldwide."

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
So we have a shot at 1st overall if we lose the series? Someone please explain how can go for us.
There’s a few different scenarios.

If we lose to New York and win the lottery the rags get Toronto’s pick, where ever it winds up.

If Toronto loses to Columbus and wins the lottery we get their pick next season and New York gets our first this year.

If neither Carolina nor Toronto wins the lottery New York gets whichever pick ends up being higher.

But this is all academic because I’ll be shocked if they actually play the games.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Reading the lottery thread on the NYR forum where they slowly (very slowly even) begin to realize that they can’t win the cup AND get 1OA (yeah like that was really going to happen) is delightful.

The tone has completely changed over there now. Apparently the Canes aren’t garbage and they won’t be shocked if the Rangers don’t make it past the play in.

Like all of the play in teams they are frothing at the mouth for the chance at getting 1OA and many would prefer it to advancing far into this joke of a playoff system.

Optimal situation(S) for us would be the following right?

1. Leafs lose against CLB and not win the lottery while we win the cup or do another deep playoff run

2. We lose to the Rangers and get 1OA while Leafs make a deep run (gross) handing over NYR a late pick

I guess without seeing how the play in round shakes out there’s too many variables to discuss where the picks would end up otherwise, meaning neither is or TML win the lottery. As others mentioned just have to hope it goes out west to a non EDM/CHI team.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
There’s a few different scenarios.

If we lose to New York and win the lottery the rags get Toronto’s pick, where ever it winds up.

If Toronto loses to Columbus and wins the lottery we get their pick next season and New York gets our first this year.

If neither Carolina nor Toronto wins the lottery New York gets whichever pick ends up being higher.

But this is all academic because I’ll be shocked if they actually play the games.
The actual wording of the NYR trade would be important. We might want to get a late first to have to give to NYR in the eventuality B just to be on the safe side. Though I don't know if any play-in team would be willing to trade their 1st that might be worth .125 Lafrenieres at this moment.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If TML flops out, they have 3/8 chance for a top-10 pick, right? 1OA, 9OA, 10OA? Or do the picks from 9 to 15 go by results somehow and not lottery?

edit: a second Draft lottery at later date, I see. The odds are probably calculated by results I guess. No, wait, if all 8 teams have equal chance for 1OA, they obviously must have for 9OA-15OA too... right?

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
If TML flops out, they have 3/8 chance for a top-10 pick, right? 1OA, 9OA, 10OA? Or do the picks from 9 to 15 go by results somehow and not lottery?

edit: a second Draft lottery at later date, I see. The odds are probably calculated by results I guess. No, wait, if all 8 teams have equal chance for 1OA, they obviously must have for 9OA-15OA too... right?
t

I think it's even odds at winning the first overall, then 9-15 get assigned via points standings.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
t

I think it's even odds at winning the first overall, then 9-15 get assigned via points standings.

That's probably it.

If each of the three First Phase drawings is won by a bottom-seven team, the Second Phase will not be necessary. The remaining four teams from the bottom seven will be assigned picks No. 4-7 in inverse order of their regular-season points percentage, and picks No. 8-15 will be assigned to the teams that are eliminated from the qualifier in inverse order of their points percentage.

But now, they draw once with everyone with 12.5 percent chance, and the rest are assigned to 9-15 in inverse order of their regular-season points percentage. Apparently.

It's like that 3 snaps in Z formation crap all over again.

So where we at?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
It’s not a big difference if it’s the f***ing Penguins. I will goddamn riot.
I think its more likely set for Montreal or another struggling big market team that Bettman needs TV money from during times of lessened revenue. Chicago comes to mind, Rangers maybe. Pitt is already doing well.

Reactions: cptjeff

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Figured.

Red Wings got F'd in the A! Like... I just actually feel bad for them. It's one thing to pick 4th, but to lose the top pick to a playoff team?
On one hand, sure, on the other hand, the Wings have been pretty blatantly tanking (sorry, 'rebuilding') for a couple years and this format gives them high picks but still requires their management to use some talent to build a team. They can get better without the 1st overall if they choose to.

I just don't want Winnipeg to wind up with it. Or the Penguins. Or the Oilers.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Either way, this works out for us. There's no chance we traded a high pick for Skej now, right?

Because we either win the round, win the lottery, or wind up giving a mid-round pick to NY if neither happens.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Either way, this works out for us. There's no chance we traded a high pick for Skej now, right?

Because we either win the round, win the lottery, or wind up giving a mid-round pick to NY if neither happens.
Its not number 1 pick but anything above 21 is too much for Skjei.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad