Around the League '15-'16: The Coaches Are WRONG Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The NHL should really get rid of players like Reeves. Even the dumbest hockey player knows you don't hit a player in the numbers when they are against the boards.

He lives to maim another day....just not until next week.

NHL Player Safety ‏@NHLPlayerSafety · 55m55 minutes ago

St. Louis’ Ryan Reaves suspended three games for boarding San Jose’s Matt Tennyson. Video: http://******/YIt5s

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Three is good, wish it were more.

I think Reaves gets a bit of a bum rap, he's mostly a clean, just vicious, hitter, but when a guy like that whose only purpose is to hit starts skirting the edges, he draws (rightfully, imo) more ire than most because he can't do anything else. But in a physical game, he's bringing an RPG to a knife fight, only other guy in his world is Big Buff.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
**** the ****ing Oilers for squandering away so much good talent.

They have actually be cursed by as it were too much luck on picking first. The wisdom is always take the best pick at the spot. Well at a young age forwards are better than D in most cases. So if they take the best pick they end up with a forward.
If they are honest about trying to do things differently they will trade the number 1 pick if they get it again this year. So they can draft a D at whatever pick they get.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
The Oilers need to rebuild the rebuild of their rebuild.

24615189213_2529b85153_o.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
They have actually be cursed by as it were too much luck on picking first. The wisdom is always take the best pick at the spot. Well at a young age forwards are better than D in most cases. So if they take the best pick they end up with a forward.
If they are honest about trying to do things differently they will trade the number 1 pick if they get it again this year. So they can draft a D at whatever pick they get.

I agree. NOt that I feel bad for them in this way, but it's sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. How stupid do they look trading away the Taylor Hall pick, for example? What teams are lining up to give away, say, an OEL/Seth Jones/Ekblad type for a #1 pick, because anything less would be poor value for the Oilers, as well...it's a tough scenario to be in but I think Chiarelli is better prepared/experienced to handle it than the others. I hate to say 'give it some time' but they weren't going to work one year miracles with a new staff, especially with some of the old attitudes. Now they know what they have, what their personalities are, and what they need, so I'd expect some MAJOR player slinging to happen and next year's Oilers (I know, I know) to be a playoff team.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
I agree. NOt that I feel bad for them in this way, but it's sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. How stupid do they look trading away the Taylor Hall pick, for example? What teams are lining up to give away, say, an OEL/Seth Jones/Ekblad type for a #1 pick, because anything less would be poor value for the Oilers, as well...it's a tough scenario to be in but I think Chiarelli is better prepared/experienced to handle it than the others. I hate to say 'give it some time' but they weren't going to work one year miracles with a new staff, especially with some of the old attitudes. Now they know what they have, what their personalities are, and what they need, so I'd expect some MAJOR player slinging to happen and next year's Oilers (I know, I know) to be a playoff team.

I just don't understand how they didn't get Jones when Nashville was willing to trade him. They had to have the pieces to make the move to get him. Unless Pole just didn't want to trade him within the conference and made the price too high.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Three is good, wish it were more.

I think Reaves gets a bit of a bum rap, he's mostly a clean, just vicious, hitter, but when a guy like that whose only purpose is to hit starts skirting the edges, he draws (rightfully, imo) more ire than most because he can't do anything else. But in a physical game, he's bringing an RPG to a knife fight, only other guy in his world is Big Buff.

That's what I thought... until he saw Kopitar coming around the net and speared him with a butt end straight to the jaw. That's some dirty **** right there to an unsuspecting star player.

**** Reaves.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I just don't understand how they didn't get Jones when Nashville was willing to trade him. They had to have the pieces to make the move to get him. Unless Pole just didn't want to trade him within the conference and made the price too high.

I think I read that nashville held out for Johansen. Was rumored Edmonton offered RNH but nashville valued the size of Johansen over the skill of RNH.

If I am Edmonton I agree with you. I add what I need to on RNH to get Jones.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Sutter, on plus-minus as a statistic:
It goes through your team. I think if your team is all pluses, and somebody’s a real bad minus, that shows up, and if your team is all right in the middle or a minus, and somebody’s a really high plus, that shows up. That’s where it does make a difference. …

I liked this on nhlinsider.com. I agree when it comes to +/- it is a team stat except for the outliers on the team. I immediately thought of JMFJ

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Sutter, on plus-minus as a statistic:
It goes through your team. I think if your team is all pluses, and somebody’s a real bad minus, that shows up, and if your team is all right in the middle or a minus, and somebody’s a really high plus, that shows up. That’s where it does make a difference. …

I liked this on nhlinsider.com. I agree when it comes to +/- it is a team stat except for the outliers on the team. I immediately thought of JMFJ

Yup. The stat has its uses.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
That new main board Karlsson thread makes me want to give Sens fans the Norris for being so defensive.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Journal Entry 2/24/16 - Erik Karlsson is NOT a 4th forward

Dear diary, as you know, NOTHING irritates me more than people calling Karlsson a fourth forward: it is plainly inaccurate to anyone who watches him play on more than an occasional basis.

Over and out.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Anaheim will never lose another game again.

they could still lose tonight
Sabers are playing horrid and are only down by one.
One icing play that hits a board funny
one clearing pass that hits a skate
one stupid over the glass penalty with 2 minutes left
one number one overall draft pick making a good pass to another number one overall draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad