Around the League '15-'16: The Coaches Are WRONG Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Continue.

TSN just posted results of a poll of NHL coaches.

Don't tell anyone on the main board, but those bunch of morons that coach the NHL teams chose one Drew Doughty as the best D-man so far this year.

When Doughty gets more votes than that defensive winger in Ottawa, it's time to wonder how smart these "coaches" really are...

Obligatory :sarcasm:

This is hilarious considering how many people were trumpeting the opposite when they voted for Karlsson last year.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
I mostly stay away from those sewers/Karlsson threads, because there's really no reasoning with these people. You either worship EK, or you're ridiculous/crazy/etc.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm actually surprised Sutter doesn't get 'top coach' recognition at all on that poll. Year over year he's underrated. I get that often the actual award goes to a team whose coach makes the playoffs against the odds (that's the cliche anyway), but you'd think he'd at least get a vote/mention since Quenneville does.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'm actually surprised Sutter doesn't get 'top coach' recognition at all on that poll. Year over year he's underrated. I get that often the actual award goes to a team whose coach makes the playoffs against the odds (that's the cliche anyway), but you'd think he'd at least get a vote/mention since Quenneville does.

was thinking the same about sutter. Trotz is very deserving, but usually the COTY goes to the coach who's team improves the most year over year.
Always thought that was wrong. It's hardest to stay on top and keep guys motivated than to climb the latter IMO

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
I wonder if it's a law in Ottawa that you must log on to the internet and defend Karlsson for at least 3 hours a day? It's actually a little bizarre seeing how vehemently they pump his tires at every turn. Will there be a parade if he wins the Norris? I'm only half joking about the latter question. I could honestly see it happening.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I wonder if it's a law in Ottawa that you must log on to the internet and defend Karlsson for at least 3 hours a day? It's actually a little bizarre seeing how vehemently they pump his tires at every turn. Will there be a parade if he wins the Norris? I'm only half joking about the latter question. I could honestly see it happening.

there's no denying EK is a top level d-man and any team would love to have him. But it is a little homer that some read articles like this poll and spit at it.

I think it's little like when Lubo was leading the kings in scoring. I thought he was underrated league wide and the team would have been even crappier without him so I was quick to defend him. Obviously EK is >>> Lubo.

Sens fans will take their offensive norris winning d-man, us Kings fans will have to take our Cup winning, 1st vore getting Drew, oiler fans will drool over both.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Stoner to plead guilty to charges related to hunting illegally. The two jokes which write themselves:
1) how ironic he's playing for an animal he could poach too
2) only in the NHL do we have players whose crimes involve illegal hunting and driving drunk into a Tim Horton's

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Stoner to plead guilty to charges related to hunting illegally. The two jokes which write themselves:
1) how ironic he's playing for an animal he could poach too
2) only in the NHL do we have players whose crimes involve illegal hunting and driving drunk into a Tim Horton's

Hockey players like to party

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Now let's be honest here. Can you think of anything else they have to be excited about? Mediocre team, no exciting top young player, depleted farm system, and so on. Karlsson is pretty much all they have to hang their hat on. The only other really dynamic player they have has two first names, then it's a roster full of journeymen and 2nd tier young players.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Same group of people who got mad at some hockey tape get mad at coaches making talent evaluations. What a smart crowd.

Also, Karlsson just threw his team under the bus by literally telling them they suck.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Now let's be honest here. Can you think of anything else they have to be excited about? Mediocre team, no exciting top young player, depleted farm system, and so on. Karlsson is pretty much all they have to hang their hat on. The only other really dynamic player they have has two first names, then it's a roster full of journeymen and 2nd tier young players.

I like Ceci, and hoffman looks legit. I thought Lazar was going to be better than he has been.
You're not wrong, but it's not like they have nothing.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Same group of people who got mad at some hockey tape get mad at coaches making talent evaluations. What a smart crowd.

Also, Karlsson just threw his team under the bus by literally telling them they suck.

Butt hez jus beening honset; ItZ re-freseshInging

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I think he was trying to say they need to play together to have success but instead threw his team right under the bus .

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think he was trying to say they need to play together to have success but instead threw his team right under the bus .

I have no idea why he thought it was a good idea to say they are a budget team and don't have the money for more skill.

Especially since they lost to a team who is spending less than them.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014

He probably should have just said that. As a captain, he needs to be smart with what he says to the media.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I like Ceci, and hoffman looks legit. I thought Lazar was going to be better than he has been.

Yea, Ceci is pretty good, in my opinion the only other bright spot. Hoffman is already 26 and an upcoming RFA, reminds a lot of Purcell. I'd be completely depressed if I was a Sens fan, it's not like they are knocking on the door and up and coming. This is it and they are a borderline playoff team.

Imagine if the Kings core was Doughty, Muzzin, Carter and Lucic. We'd be drunk all the time.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

The Sens are the only team with 6 30-point players. Them being 'awful' is overstated in the same way Habs fans would do with Price last year. Then you go to another thread and realize they're pumping PK's tires, Paccioretty is the best USA player, and so on.

Sens fans do this with Karlsson, then you see how underrated Anderson, Stone, Hoffman, Bobby Ryan are in every other thread.

The Sens problem is defensive depth. Ceci is good but needs vet help, and Methot is completely underrated. Everyone else is shades of AHL garbage without the proper insulation--i.e. they shouldn't have guys like Borowiecki and Wiercioch and Cowen together, though they could probably be decent 5 D elsewhere. They aren't outscoring their problems but that doesn't mean they're not top heavy. EK is getting a ton of points from the top guys, and I'm not saying that as a shot, but that he's playing with more talented players more frequently than they'd have you believe. They're still a bubble team but it's not like theyre a lottery team, and it makes one wonder what they could do if Karlsson wasn't being so risky offensively, because in my viewings, most of his points are coming from incredibly smart and saavy point shooting rather than rushing and pinching which is where he gets in trouble.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
its the mindset that their favorite guy can seemingly do no wrong that is most irritating

still get that all the time with Toews

Price gets similar treatment

and obviously everyones new favorite God-King, Karlsson

god forbid anyone have a remotely objective opinion when discussing any of the Kings players. not sure if you guys knew this or not, but every single player on our roster is carried by Sutter's system, despite Sutter barely surfacing in best coach discussion. because reasons.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
The Sens are the only team with 6 30-point players. Them being 'awful' is overstated in the same way Habs fans would do with Price last year. Then you go to another thread and realize they're pumping PK's tires, Paccioretty is the best USA player, and so on.

Sens fans do this with Karlsson, then you see how underrated Anderson, Stone, Hoffman, Bobby Ryan are in every other thread.

The Sens problem is defensive depth. Ceci is good but needs vet help, and Methot is completely underrated. Everyone else is shades of AHL garbage without the proper insulation--i.e. they shouldn't have guys like Borowiecki and Wiercioch and Cowen together, though they could probably be decent 5 D elsewhere. They aren't outscoring their problems but that doesn't mean they're not top heavy. EK is getting a ton of points from the top guys, and I'm not saying that as a shot, but that he's playing with more talented players more frequently than they'd have you believe. They're still a bubble team but it's not like theyre a lottery team, and it makes one wonder what they could do if Karlsson wasn't being so risky offensively, because in my viewings, most of his points are coming from incredibly smart and saavy point shooting rather than rushing and pinching which is where he gets in trouble.

It's not just the Sens fans it's also the Swedes. They are fanatical about trying to defend anything said negative about their players.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal

its really just the same handful of people, and their EK defense mechanisms are very sensitive. I mean, I kind of understand it from their point of view. Karlsson is really all they have. If we only had Doughty and a bunch of other youngsters/filler players, Id probably be really sensitive too :laugh:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
its the mindset that their favorite guy can seemingly do no wrong that is most irritating

still get that all the time with Toews

Price gets similar treatment

and obviously everyones new favorite God-King, Karlsson

god forbid anyone have a remotely objective opinion when discussing any of the Kings players. not sure if you guys knew this or not, but every single player on our roster is carried by Sutter's system, despite Sutter barely surfacing in best coach discussion. because reasons.

Just looking at last season:
Price (vezna winner) deserves the god like praise more than EK. Price was the best goalie last year by a wide margin. The same cannot be said about the norris winner, especially considering the guy didn't even lead the league in 1st place voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad