Around The League - 15-16 Part III (And So It Begins Again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Continued from: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1936315

PLEASE READ:

Whether we like it or not, the Patrick Kane story is completely on-topic for this thread. However, we do not want the story taking over and devolving into some social argument. Posts about the Patrick Kane case will be limited to A> meaningful updates on the case, and B> discussions on how the case will affect hockey and the Blackhawks.

Keep the social stuff out of it. I thank you in advance for your 100% compliance :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@markhmasters: Leafs release Curtis Glencross and Devin Setoguchi from PTOs

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@pwilliamsNHL: Some experienced NHL players are going to have to swallow their pride and find AHL deals. It's a tough job market right now.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Cue an avalanche of "Glencross is exactly what we need, sign him!!!111" posts on the Oilers board.

lol wait, I thought we missed out on Glencross somehow?

He's just another grinding tweener. Dime a dozen.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
lol wait, I thought we missed out on Glencross somehow?

He's just another grinding tweener. Dime a dozen.

Several Oilers fans think the only thing they need is grit, as Eberle/Purcell/RNH etc are "soft".

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
People are up in arms because Max Friberg is on waivers.

His statline reminds me of Carl Klingberg.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
Setoguchi was cut by the Leafs yesterday - wonder if he'll try his luck in Europe next. He played two pre-season games for them.. I caught a bit of their game against the Habs, was put on a line with Bozak and van Riemsdyk (and given PP time) but was his usual self - was very lazy and a bystander when on the ice. He ended up being benched for most of the third period.

Frankly someone like that would be toxic for even an AHL team. As much as I want someone to turn their lives around, it really didn't look like much changed for him despite given a pretty good opportunity by the Leafs.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Setoguchi was cut by the Leafs yesterday - wonder if he'll try his luck in Europe next. He played two pre-season games for them.. I caught a bit of their game against the Habs, was put on a line with Bozak and van Riemsdyk (and given PP time) but was his usual self - was very lazy and a bystander when on the ice. He ended up being benched for most of the third period.

Frankly someone like that would be toxic for even an AHL team. As much as I want someone to turn their lives around, it really didn't look like much changed for him despite given a pretty good opportunity by the Leafs.

Kind of crazy when a guy has the talent but their head or demons get in the way.

Todd Bergen was a kid that grew up with a bunch of my friends from Prince Albert and was a natural athlete. He played touch football on the same team as me (I played a few years after he did). Todd was a very good junior hockey player for the PA Raiders then of the SJHL and was drafted in the 5th round by the Flyers and after a stint in Springfield was called up to the Flyers late in the season of 1984-85. He put up 17 points in 14 games then in the playoffs that year he put up 13 points in 17 games. He was a promising rookie in their org based on the results that year.

Then he decided to quit the Flyers and he played touch football again with the boys. He had the talent to play in the NHL but he never really liked Hockey. His mom was a strong hockey mom and kind of pushed him into an area he didn't want to go. Needless to say a bunch of prairie boys had trouble relating to a guy with the talent but no interest. Kind of like Pilon for the Wheaties.

Todd was a REALLY good touch football player as well.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Kind of crazy when a guy has the talent but their head or demons get in the way.

Todd Bergen was a kid that grew up with a bunch of my friends from Prince Albert and was a natural athlete. He played touch football on the same team as me (I played a few years after he did). Todd was a very good junior hockey player for the PA Raiders then of the SJHL and was drafted in the 5th round by the Flyers and after a stint in Springfield was called up to the Flyers late in the season of 1984-85. He put up 17 points in 14 games then in the playoffs that year he put up 13 points in 17 games. He was a promising rookie in their org based on the results that year.

Then he decided to quit the Flyers and he played touch football again with the boys. He had the talent to play in the NHL but he never really liked Hockey. His mom was a strong hockey mom and kind of pushed him into an area he didn't want to go. Needless to say a bunch of prairie boys had trouble relating to a guy with the talent but no interest. Kind of like Pilon for the Wheaties.

I remember reading about him on the HOH board. I think I remember he hated Keenan (no one would blame him) and had an injury that held him back at which point he said **** it.

EDIT: Looks like he got traded to the North Stars and they said he was more injured than reported. Despite having a solid partial season in the AHL, they never signed him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bergen

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

I know a guy that was really similar to that. Guy was super talented. Natural athlete, great musician...but he loved cocaine too much and he just never got it together.

It's really too bad, because he was good at pretty much everything he did. Including snorting coke.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I remember reading about him on the HOH board. I think I remember he hated Keenan (no one would blame him) and had an injury that held him back at which point he said **** it.

EDIT: Looks like he got traded to the North Stars and they said he was more injured than reported. Despite having a solid partial season in the AHL, they never signed him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bergen

Yea he had an issue with the coach but he was never really into it. Raw talent got him into the NHL but he was always one foot in one foot out. To bad most guys would have killed for his talent.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I know a guy that was really similar to that. Guy was super talented. Natural athlete, great musician...but he loved cocaine too much and he just never got it together.

It's really too bad, because he was good at pretty much everything he did. Including snorting coke.

I have had more than one good friend get taken down (or out) by addictions over the years. Sadly some of them started later too.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Setoguchi gets me angry just thinking about his tenure in Winnipeg. Easily my least favourite Jet who had more then a coffee and a doughnut with the team.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
People are up in arms because Max Friberg is on waivers.

His statline reminds me of Carl Klingberg.

Not at ALL the same type of player. Klingberg was a big body who could stand out front and work corners a bit. Dwight King lite. Friberg is more of a buzzsaw type of hard worker all over the ice using skating with good hands.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
^^ yeah, wasn't comparing their playstyle. Just another "omg no wai he clears" prospect who could very well end up following Klingberg's career path.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Now that baseball is over for the night (awesome night for the Jays BTW)

Sportsnet is showing a Canucks-Coyotes game and have to say these new Coyotes away uniforms are grade A ugly. Puke

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
nhl.com on the PIT@MTL game which they apparently played in Quebec lol:

The Montreal Canadiens played what was supposed to be a home game Monday.

It just didn't feel like one.

Playing the first NHL game at the brand new Videotron Centre, a building the city hopes will be home to its own NHL team one day, the Canadiens hosted the Pittsburgh Penguins in a preseason game in what was once extremely hostile territory.

It's been 20 years since that was the case, when the Quebec Nordiques moved away and became the Colorado Avalanche in 1995-96. An entire generation of people were born and have come of age since then, but that feeling remains.

Quebec City remains hostile territory for the Canadiens.

"It was probably 50/50," said Canadiens center David Desharnais, a native of nearby Laurier-Station, Quebec. "But that's the way it is here."

There were many red Canadiens jerseys among the sellout crowd of 18,259, but the people wearing those jerseys weren't very loud, or at least they weren't allowed to be.

When the Canadiens took the ice for warmups, they were met by timid cheers and a smattering of boos.

Fans who attempted to get a "Go Habs Go" chant going were met immediately with a chorus of boos. They were completely drowned out the first time and stopped almost immediately. The second time, they continued despite the booing.

It was almost as if there was a battle going on. A battle of Quebec.

"The rivalry's still alive," Canadiens center Charles Hudon said.

Though Desharnais grew up in the area and was a young boy when the Nordiques left, he grew up a Canadiens fan because his father rooted for the enemy at the time. So the atmosphere at Videotron Centre was nothing new to him. It was almost like a family reunion.

"I was like 8 or 9 [years old]," Desharnais said. "The memories I have are more my father fighting some uncles. Not fighting, but a battle of words with the family."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad