Around the League '15-'16: New Years Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
The Oilers play Shake It Off after the opposition scores.

giphy.gif

Embarrassing.

Another Carter Snipe

Terminated User
Oct 20, 2011
San Diego, CA
Was looking at the SC Favorites thread on the main forum and it got me thinking about that extra gear that Chicago and the Kings have that has kept us both as favorites for years. I took a look at some of the numbers since 2012, when the two began trading Cups.

Went up 3-0 in Series on Opponent (Stranglehold on series)
6 Times

Swept Opponent:

Twice (1 a piece)

Game 7 Record:
Home: 2-1
Road: 3-0
Combined: 5-1 (The loss is from the other)

Combined Overtime Record:

25-14

This one blows my mind;

Record When Facing Significant Series Deficit:
Down 0-2: 2-0 (No Home Ice Advantage in any series)
Down 0-3: 1-0 (No Home Ice Advantage in any series)
Down 1-3: 1-3 (2 of the losses to eachother)
Down 2-3: 2-0 (No Home Ice Advantage in any series)

Total: 6-3

Jesus, so when the two are in dire straights, they've still won the series 67% of the time.

I'm sure I can find a bunch of other clutch instances, like how many games tied/won within the final 2 minutes, or with the goaltender pulled. Not to **** on the Caps/Stars and the seasons they're having, but until proven otherwise, it's a two horse race just based on the resiliency of the two teams alone.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think the Caps and Stars are comparable.

Caps are a complete team, they have everything, they're adaptable, and they've added clutch. They're big, they're fast, they have a superstar forward and uber-skilled depth, they have a solid defense, and they have a vezina-caliber goaltender playing lights out. Glad we wouldn't have to touch them till the finals because I'm convinced they will be there.

Stars will go as far as their scoring will take them. Unless their goaltenders channel the spirit of Hasek or they can score 4-5 goals a game in the playoffs, they're not going far. Don't get me wrong, I don't want anything to do with them, they can be lethal, but I don't see how they can survive 4 7-game series.

Another Carter Snipe

Terminated User
Oct 20, 2011
San Diego, CA

Caps are a complete team, they have everything, they're adaptable, and they've added clutch. They're big, they're fast, they have a superstar forward and uber-skilled depth, they have a solid defense, and they have a vezina-caliber goaltender playing lights out. Glad we wouldn't have to touch them till the finals because I'm convinced they will be there.

Stars will go as far as their scoring will take them. Unless their goaltenders channel the spirit of Hasek or they can score 4-5 goals a game in the playoffs, they're not going far. Don't get me wrong, I don't want anything to do with them, they can be lethal, but I don't see how they can survive 4 7-game series.

Very fair point, and I completely agree that WSH is going to be there. If one of the two, Kings/Hawks, get to the SCF, which I believe will be the case, facing WSH will be far tougher than anything that's come out of the East in the last four years. That actually looks like the one team primed to challenge the monopoly the Kings/Hawks have on the Cup.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Caps, regardless of how much I love Ovi, don't impress me. Everyone forgets that this team is usually a powerhouse that can barely make it out of the quarterfinals. They scored 121 points a couple years ago and got smoked.

And Stars, lol. Only clueless people pick that team to win anything. They aren't scoring 5 or 6 goals/game in the playoffs.

Kings are the clear-cut favorites right now. But watch them flameout in the first round after having the first decent regular season in a long time.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Caps, regardless of how much I love Ovi, don't impress me. Everyone forgets that this team is usually a powerhouse that can barely make it out of the quarterfinals. They scored 121 points a couple years ago and got smoked.

And Stars, lol. Only clueless people pick that team to win anything. They aren't scoring 5 or 6 goals/game in the playoffs.

Kings are the clear-cut favorites right now. But watch them flameout in the first round after having the first decent regular season in a long time.

I agree with all of this. God I hope the Kings don't flop.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

I just can't see the Stars just outscoring their opponents series after series. Once they get through a few games, they will find it harder and harder to get the goals as the coaches figure out ways to slow them down. They remind me of the Sharks in 2014, could score like hell and as the series went along Sutter found a way to shut them down.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate.

Truly the poetic voice of a generation.

Ron*

No one, and I mean no one, is talking about the Blackhawks, but they have seven in a row and are just steam-rolling opponents.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

that was pre trotz and with Mike Green as their #1D. Plus wasn't varlamov their goalie? Since then Alzner has developed into a great shut down d-man, and they have brought in some help, and changed their system.
The captials are deep everywhere, not just an offensive force.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Wow, Ovi made Karlsson his personal ***** last night on goal. He took him to the woodshed. :laugh:

But the score was already out of hand, ek wasn't even trying. Who can blame him based in the score?

Am I doing it right?

Ron*

But the score was already out of hand, ek wasn't even trying. Who can blame him based in the score?

Am I doing it right?

"He beat one of the best defenders". Yeah, no.

One of the big reasons given why Doughty didn't win the Norris last season is because the Kings didn't make the playoffs.

Guess who is on a collision course with that result this season? It will be real interesting to see if this "great defender" wins the Norris when his team his eliminated from playoff contention in March.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
"He was tired, it was a blowout, and there's no shame in getting walked by Ovechkin."

Maybe not, but when you get walked by Ovy, Larkin x2, Josi JUST THIS YEAR when standing around swinging your stick...and that's just what I've seen, there has to be more.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
I would have got benched for a few games if I pulled the **** Karlsson does. Stick swinging is not defense, neither is just standing and looking straight at the puck. His penalty killing is so ****ing awful. If he'd shoulder someone away from the net or made some effort to seperate the man from the puck he would be okay at defense. Instead he does the worst possible thing to do and makes himself look like an ass.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
"He was tired, it was a blowout, and there's no shame in getting walked by Ovechkin."

Maybe not, but when you get walked by Ovy, Larkin x2, Josi JUST THIS YEAR when standing around swinging your stick...and that's just what I've seen, there has to be more.

I would have got benched for a few games if I pulled the **** Karlsson does. Stick swinging is not defense, neither is just standing and looking straight at the puck. His penalty killing is so ****ing awful. If he'd shoulder someone away from the net or made some effort to seperate the man from the puck he would be okay at defense. Instead he does the worst possible thing to do and makes himself look like an ass.

Karlsson is basically the poster child for why you should play the man and not the puck

almost every single time I see a Kings D defending a rush like that and they already have the inside position, they try and just check the guy off the puck instead, which remarkably tends to work better than just flailing your stick around. Doughty especially is great about that, and I remember Regehr and Mitchell almost always going for the body first as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad