Around the League '15-'16 IV--Awful Pacific Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I hate to admit that Burnside is right, but the Pacific Division is a gong show.

The Kings really should be able to start to distance themselves, because I fully expect the Sharks to go full-Pacific as well.

at this point I think it's safe to say the Sharks and the Kings will be 2 of the 3 pacific teams.
I still think the ducks get in making it a California sweep.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree. It feels like it's early, but it's really not--we've eaten 1/4 of the season and typically teams in/out at thanksgiving are who they are in the standings.

I feel like Arizona is only going to improve, but some of their magic is going to run out (i.e. rookies getting tired, Smith turning back into a pumpkin). Vancouver is already starting to taper. Edmonton is doing their usual act but should turn around a bit with McDavid back, I think they'll make some trades and a late season push to get out of the #1 draft spot (which is a shame, trade matthews for OEL!), and Calgary should push but will finish shy of the playoffs, but I think it's going to be between them and the Ducks at the finish line. Both are at least showing signs of life.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
The Ducks are just ****ing terrible so far this year. Look what happens when you gut a team full of promising young forwards. I'm still kind of surprised because they have a decent 1-2 center punch.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 1h1 hour ago

John Scott says if he's voted in to the All-Star game, he's going. Has no plans to pull a Jagr to slow down voting.

That's great..he could end up Capt of the Pacific Div team and a wasted spot on the roster, which will already be hard to choose 6 forwards. Currently leads all voting.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The Ducks are just ****ing terrible so far this year. Look what happens when you gut a team full of promising young forwards. I'm still kind of surprised because they have a decent 1-2 center punch.

Who so far have 'punched ' out 4 goals and make what? about 14 M between them?

opposite of last year, in a way, last night it was mentioned that if they lost, it would be their 9th 1 goal loss of the year. That's 18 pts right there.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
at this point I think it's safe to say the Sharks and the Kings will be 2 of the 3 pacific teams.
I still think the ducks get in making it a California sweep.
Yeah, the Sharks will be close this year. I would lie if I said I expected the current Coyotes/Ducks point total...
It would do wonders if the Kings didn't tank games on bottom dwellers tho.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Who so far have 'punched ' out 4 goals and make what? about 14 M between them?

opposite of last year, in a way, last night it was mentioned that if they lost, it would be their 9th 1 goal loss of the year. That's 18 pts right there.

Well that's on them, and its shameful. But we have our very own underachievers, ala Brown. Gaborik was horribly underachieving until recently. The Ducks' internal cap has destroyed that team.

Drumstick Handler

Jun 4, 2015
Pretty telling when John Scott is the best player in your division.

:sarcasm:

To be honest, I don't know what to expect of this season anymore. Lightning were supposed to continue from where they ended last season (altough they're not doing that bad), Boston wasn't supposed to be even close to being a playoff team and the talk about Ducks staying as a serious Cup contender seems all too weird right now. Just to name a few examples.

Going on a good .800% point run or long winning streak would get the Ducks right back in the game and show that they still have their confidence. I don't have any reason to believe Calgary will get even close come April. They're on pace for 270 GA and defense is a lot harder to get better at than offense in the middle of the season.

Gotta love the unpredictability of this league.

Drumstick Handler

Jun 4, 2015
By the way, California has been represented in the Conference Finals for 6 years in a row now and 10 times over the last 12 seasons. :amazed:

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
John Scott is still in the NHL? This garbage organization will never learn, even with concussion lawsuits and players getting seriously injured. He literally doesn't do anything else, any team that professional team that signs him needs to get relegated to beer league.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
John Scott is still in the NHL? This garbage organization will never learn, even with concussion lawsuits and players getting seriously injured. He literally doesn't do anything else, any team that professional team that signs him needs to get relegated to beer league.

I think the name you're looking for is Matt Cooke.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Well that's on them, and its shameful. But we have our very own underachievers, ala Brown. Gaborik was horribly underachieving until recently. The Ducks' internal cap has destroyed that team.

What destroyed the Ducks, is that they can't develop a better Goalie, also Cam fowler is still their best defender.

None of that has anything to do with an internal cap. The Ducks have lost no one significant due to money issues. Also no UFA over the past Five or so years, would have saved the Ducks from their current issues.

The Ducks suck at developing players, and it's sinking them. It's what sinks most teams in a cap league. Look at the EDM Oilers who spend plenty of money.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What destroyed the Ducks, is that they can't develop a better Goalie, also Cam fowler is still their best defender.

None of that has anything to do with an internal cap. The Ducks have lost no one significant due to money issues. Also no UFA over the past Five or so years, would have saved the Ducks from their current issues.

The Ducks suck at developing players, and it's sinking them. It's what sinks most teams in a cap league. Look at the EDM Oilers who spend plenty of money.

The problem is they've let some developing players go and brought in cheap replacements, which is ironic because that's exactly what some will advocate.

Outgoing from 2014-2015:
Beauchemin leaving seems to have affected Lindholm dramatically, Beleskey was going to get overpaid but that's a lot of banging goals to lose, Palmieri was a well-kept secret that was flat-out scary when on his game, and then smaller roles that performed great in stretches like Karlsson, Lovejoy, etc.

Repalced with Incoming: Chris Stewart has been expected garbage, Hagelin is just there but can PK, Santorelli about the same, Bieksa who has been flat-out awful as expected.

Rakell emerging as legit, fortunately. Manson is a stud with growing pains like Lindholm, and the ducks have youth coming up that can be great, but will they get there in time (RItchie, Montour, Theodore, Friberg, etc.).

When you win a buttload of one-goal games, then give up players with a slightly higher production margin in addition to falling production from getzlaf perry PLUS some crappy additions in stewart et. al. of course the magic is going to wear off.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The problem is they've let some developing players go and brought in cheap replacements, which is ironic because that's exactly what some will advocate.

Outgoing from 2014-2015:
Beauchemin leaving seems to have affected Lindholm dramatically, Beleskey was going to get overpaid but that's a lot of banging goals to lose, Palmieri was a well-kept secret that was flat-out scary when on his game, and then smaller roles that performed great in stretches like Karlsson, Lovejoy, etc.

Repalced with Incoming: Chris Stewart has been expected garbage, Hagelin is just there but can PK, Santorelli about the same, Bieksa who has been flat-out awful as expected.

Rakell emerging as legit, fortunately. Manson is a stud with growing pains like Lindholm, and the ducks have youth coming up that can be great, but will they get there in time (RItchie, Montour, Theodore, Friberg, etc.).

When you win a buttload of one-goal games, then give up players with a slightly higher production margin in addition to falling production from getzlaf perry PLUS some crappy additions in stewart et. al. of course the magic is going to wear off.

Right about the one goal games, The Ducks have lost already Nine ? One goal games.

That is more losses this season, then the Ducks had the past two seasons combined(for one goal games) if I am correct.

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
What's hurt the Ducks was the start. 1-7-2 with 10GF. Shut out 5 times, and 1 goal three other times in 10 games? Nobody saw that coming. They're 8-5-3(not great, but good) since then, with 41GF, which is 2.56 per game. They've given up 41 in the same 16 games.

If they were playing at 19 points in 16 games all year long, they'd have 31 points right now. 97 points in 82 games. They just had a big hole to dig out from.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree, just a bad start. And don't get me wrong, they'll be fine, and a pain in our ass once we start our games with them; just explaining the lack of magic in one goal games they had a year back as they were essentially our polar opposite. That small margin was all they had, so when you remove it...we were on the other side of that equation last year. One goal not good enough one game too frequently.

Captain Mittens*

The Thanksgiving standings thing was mentioned recently. about how the standings don't change that much...

Does anyone else expect Dallas to be at the top of the Central at the end of the season? I will admit to not seeing many of their games this season, Starting hot and then fading has been their pattern the last few years

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The Thanksgiving standings thing was mentioned recently. about how the standings don't change that much...

Does anyone else expect Dallas to be at the top of the Central at the end of the season? I will admit to not seeing many of their games this season, Starting hot and then fading has been their pattern the last few years

They could, it's the regular season, they out score everyone, that will dry up once playoff's come around though.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I don't think they'll fade much, they're just overpowering everyone like the...'07? Sens with Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson. Game gets tighter towards and in the playoffs, and their D is still suspect and goaltending volatile (though the talent is there). But while I would never feel safe with a lead vs. those guys, I don't think they're getting past the second round without a big move, and I think it was Nill today that talked, in reference to big acquisitions, about teams want your core players in exchange so it's likely not happening...but like Edmonton, that D has issues. They're full offense like Nashville is full defense and until some of those parts balance out they have large deficiencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad